view post Posted on 4/10/2008, 18:47

He's a lion that I am proud to hunt

Group:
Administrator

Una recensione che dà il peso dovuto al 'doppio Gerry':

http://moviereviewzoo.blogspot.com/2008/10...sland-2008.html

Saturday, October 4, 2008
Nim’s Island (2008)
Jack (Gerard Butler): Be the hero of your own life story.
Alex Rover (Jodie Foster): Don't hand me that line - I wrote that line!

At a glance: This light and enjoyable island/ocean adventure focusing on an 11 year old girl, her lost-at-sea dad, and a timid adventure writer, will appeal to a variety of ages

A scientist/writer is lost at sea, leaving his 11 year old daughter, Nim (Abigail Breslin) to fend for herself. Through emails, she enlists the help of rugged adventure writer Alex Rover, unaware that Rover is actually a fictional character written by a timid apartment-bound agoraphobic (Jodie Foster). Foster is appropriately nervous and silly; Breslin is a natural actress, if at times a tad soft-spoken; Gerard Butler chews the scenery in dual roles; one as an adventurer dad who has to fight against the elements to get his small boat back to the island, and another as the brogue-sporting figment of Alex Rover’s imagination. Just to keep things interesting, there are a number of clever visual sequeways between scenes. I had hoped my five year old daughter and I might watch this movie together, and we did. We both enjoyed it. There’s a strong Australian/Queensland slant to this movie; Australian actors and locations added to my personal enjoyment. Rating: 2.5 of 4

"If you have a child, Nim's Island is the kind of film you won't be sorry you shared with him or especially her, and if you don't have a youngster, you'll wish you did."
- Bruce Bennett (Spectrum [St. George, Utah])

"Plenty of things happen that adults will have to overlook and forget any reasoning because this is a movie aimed at kids, and on that point it delivers."
- Diana Saenger (ReviewExpress.com)

view post Posted on 9/1/2009, 09:05

Group:
Administrator

Nim's Island è stato inserito tra i migliori film per famiglie del 2008:

http://www.more4kids.info/696/best-family-movies/

Nim’s Island
For a movie that is a bit more serious, yet full of adventure for the entire family, Nim’s Island is a great choice. This movie is about a little girl who happens to live with her father who is a scientist out on a tropical island. Her father’s boat has a problem and he ends up being stranded, so she is left to fend for herself. While her father is gone, tour companies begin to cause problems on the island of paradise and she realizes she is going to need some help from an adult, so she emails the author who wrote the book she happens to be reading. Starring Abigail Breslin from Little Miss Sunshine, as well as Gerard Butler and Jodie Foster, this is a movie that your family won’t want to miss.

Se quello che cercate è un film che sia più serio e tuttavia pieno di avventure per l'intera famiglia,Nim's Island è una grande scelta.Questo film è la storia di una ragazzina cui capita di vivere su un'isola incontaminata con suo padre,che è uno scienziato.La barca di suo padre ha dei problemi e finisce per piantarlo in asso,così lei è costretta a cavarsela da sola.Mentre suo padre è assente,una compagnia di crocieristi inizia a creare problemi sull'isola,che non è più un paradiso, e lei si rende conto che ha bisogno dell'aiuto di un adulto.Così contatta via email l'autrice del libro che sta leggendo.(Scusate,ma un riassunto peggiore non era possibile????...n.d.t.)Interpretato da Abigail Breslin,con Jodie Foster e Gearard Butler,è un film che una famiglia non può perdere!!!

view post Posted on 6/6/2011, 08:27

Group:
Administrator

Un'ottima recensione,anche per gli interpreti:
http://www.rgj.com/article/20080404/ENT01/...y=nav|head

For classicists and grumps, "Nim's Island" probably makes too many leaps of logic. A little girl left to fend for herself on an uncharted island. Animals that think and act like humans. An agoraphobic author who cures herself in a matter of days.

It's all a bit much.

But, who cares? Most youthful fans won't mind a story that dances between realism and fantasy. They will more likely be swept up in the film's masterful adventure tales, which are simultaneously wholesome and exciting.

Based on the book by Wendy Orr, the film tells of Nim (Abigail Breslin), a young girl living on a remote island with her oceanographer father, Jack (Gerard Butler). Because the island remains undiscovered -- by anyone but this pair -- they live a back-to-nature life, reading, playing in the sand and doing research in a Robinson Crusoe-like home powered by a few solar panels. They also take care not to give their position to strangers because Jack prefers their pristine, uninterrupted lifestyle. In a voiceover, Nim admits that island life is not for everyone, but it works for them.

Things get dicey, however, when Jack allows Nim to spend two nights alone on the island while he conducts a research experiment at sea. He's reluctant, but he knows she's able to take care of herself. Alas, Jack is caught in a terrible storm that leaves him stranded at sea with a broken, leaking boat and few tools.

When he fails to return, Nim knows there's a problem, so she asks for help in an e-mail to her favorite adventure hero -- Alex Rover, the manly star of many first-person adventure books.

Alas, Alex is really Alexandra Rover (Jodie Foster), a reclusive writer who has a hard time leaving the house, let alone rescuing children. She suffers from a germ fixation, eats only Progresso soup and struggles even to recover her mail. But when Nim writes, she feels obligated to help ... even if it kills her.

The husband-and-wife directing team of Jennifer Flackett and Mark Levin shift their cameras between the struggles of Nim, Alexandra and Jack, and all tie nicely together. Although Nim and Jack are far more capable and adventurous than Alexandra, her rush to fly to a no-name place in the middle of the ocean is just as heroic because each step horrifies her. And Alexandra's only guide is her imagining of Alex Rover (also played by Butler), the fictional hero who is afraid of nothing.

As mentioned, the leaps of logic are many and often, but the storytelling is exciting and the acting is strong -- particularly when compared to the average children's movie. It's a treat to get Butler and Foster in a movie like this, and although Breslin does plenty of children's work, she's always a likable presence.

Get past the unlikely plot points, which is easy, and you're left with an exciting adventure that should be pleasing kids for years.

17 replies since 4/4/2008, 15:52   521 views