Machine gun preacher - articoli e interviste

« Older   Newer »
view post Posted on 29/9/2011, 23:51

He's a lion that I am proud to hunt

Group:
Moderatore globale

un'intervista di Toronto pubblicata oggi,con qualche bella riflessione di Gerry...e una splendida introduzione del giornalista(prime due righe *_* )

Interview: Gerard Butler
THE HULKING ACTOR TONES IT DOWN TO PLAY REAL-LIFE BIKER AND SUDANESE ORPHANAGE FOUNDER SAM CHILDERS. JUST DON’T ASK HIM TO EXPLAIN HIS PERFORMANCE.

Gerard Butler stands with his back to the door, framed against a window, looking out at the Toronto skyline. I’ve walked into his room, yet somehow he’s the one making an entrance.

Butler has come to the Toronto Film Festival with two films, Machine Gun Preacher and Coriolanus. Each uses the actor’s imposing physical presence as a storytelling element – though in person, he’s chatty and loose, a world away from the coiled warriors he portrays onscreen.

In Machine Gun Preacher he plays Sam Childers, a former Pennsylvania biker turned born-again protector of Sudanese children, for whom he built an orphanage at great personal risk. The film dramatizes Childers’s journey from criminal to saviour in simplistic, Oscar-baiting fashion, but Butler took the role’s complicated morality very seriously. He plays violent men fairly often, he says, but usually in an exaggerated context; Sam Childers is an actual person, and he’s done some awful things.

“In a movie like 300 or Beowulf [& Grendel] you can hide behind some kind of stylization,” Butler explains. “But in Machine Gun, I couldn’t. The real guy’s around. I filmed him a lot, so I had footage of him and extra stuff of him preaching, doing interviews. I played his interviews in the background; he’s done more interviews than I have, and he loves to talk.”

Butler came to believe that Childers’s redemption sprang from the ex-biker’s understanding of the pain he’d caused others during his criminal days. “I always felt this shame, and this pain that he had inside, and then this need to do something with himself, to seek danger, to make a name for himself and to do great things.”

One of the film’s key moments comes when the reformed Childers chooses to take up arms against the Sudanese soldiers threatening the orphans he’s trying to help. Butler’s performance conveys an uneasy mixture of religious fervor and raging blood lust; it’s a scary, intense moment, and he has no idea how he got there.

“Explanation of performance is not my strong point,” he says, shrugging. “I wish I could just go and act. When I’m performing, when I’m in the middle of doing what I do, it’s those moments that I live for – when you feel that you have a pure understanding of the essence of that character, the essence of that moment, and what is going on.

“[When] somebody says, ‘Explain where you just were there,’ I don’t know. But ‘instinct’ would be the word that works [to describe] where I try to come from as an actor, and interestingly is where Sam definitely comes from as a person.”

www.nowtoronto.com/movies/story.cfm?content=182863
(a questo link oltre l'orginale anche 3 brevi file audio con 3 domande inedite)

view post Posted on 30/9/2011, 09:31

Group:
Moderatore globale

intervista a Michelle Monaghan,ho sottolineato le parti in cui parla di Gerry ;)

http://www.sheknows.com/entertainment/arti...ne-gun-preacher

A Machine Gun Preacher’S Wife
Michelle Monaghan is sexy, adorable and the new on-screen wife of Gerard Butler in the action crime film Machine Gun Preacher.

Known for her girl-next-door persona, actress Michelle Monaghan toughens up as the wife of a former drug dealer -- played by Gerard Butler -- who finds God and goes to Africa to make a difference. Based on the true story of the life of Sam Childers and his inspiration journey to helping children in Sudan, Machine Gun Preacher is the emotional tale of man who endures all the sadness life has to offer. SheKnows sat down with Monaghan to find out what it's like to play the wife of this extraordinary character who went through such an emotional journey.

SheKnows: What attracted you to the project?
Michelle Monaghan: As soon as I finished reading it, I knew I wanted to tell the story. It’s such a powerful journey of this man and his family.

SheKnows: What’s the real Sam Childers like?
Michelle Monaghan: Sam Childers is a force to be reckoned with, whether you’re his wife or you’re Gerard Bulter or you’re a rebel in the LRA. He is an impassioned person, he’s a very great spirited man and a very controversial man, as well. I think Gerry worked with the material for over a year. By the time Gerry started working, he was there full force, he was Sam Childers.

SheKnows: What was it like to spend time with Sam and Lynn Childers?

Michelle Monaghan: They were so kind and welcoming. I think that first night, Lynn and I stayed up until about 4 in the morning talking. She allowed me to ask her everything under the sun. She was incredibly forthcoming and honest. That meant the world to me. What I discovered about her is she’s probably the most grounded person I’ve ever met. She’s not an emotional person, and I say that with all due respect. She does not get angry. She does not get upset. She doesn’t really cry. I’m sure she has her moments, but she’s very steadfast in her faith and her belief that Sam is doing God’s work.

SheKnows: What was it like to portray a real live person?
Michelle Monaghan: Clearly this is a complex person who has stood by her man all of these years. She’s sacrificed a tremendous amount for herself and her family. I needed to spend time with her to understand what her motivations were and to really understand the dynamic between Sam and Lynn. I spent a weekend with them in Central City, Pennsylvania.

SheKnows: It's known that Gerard Butler is not only sexy, but he’s also a charming guy, too. Do you agree?
Michelle Monaghan: He really is all that, and obviously cute to boot. I mean, all the ladies know that. On top of that, he’s incredibly talented and he’s got this really jovial spirit about him.

SheKnows: What's he like on set?
Michelle Monaghan: He’s really playful, fun, he likes to joke. That was really appreciated on that set because it was sort of material that was somewhat dark and a little bit depressing at times, although albeit hopeful as well. And, ultimately inspirational.

SheKnows: Did you ever have overly-emotional days on set?

Michelle Monaghan: There were days when it was kind of tough. And our scenes would be really intense when we were working together. As soon as they'd yell, “Cut,” we’d sort of go back to [the] trailer and start laughing and lighten things up. The fact that he was willing to go to those places but not live in those places was really refreshing for me.

view post Posted on 1/10/2011, 00:03

Group:
Moderatore globale

altra luuunga ma interessante intervista a Gerry :wub:

TSR interviews Gerard Butler for ‘Machine Gun Preacher’

Nick Allen sat down in a roundtable interview with Gerard Butler for the film Machine Gun Preacher. You can read Allen’s Scorecard Review here. You can read his interview, which features Butler talking candidly about his potential and variety as an actor, if you keep reading this article.

You play a lot of larger than life characters, some larger than Sam. I know you said you wanted to play him with a degree of honesty and integrity that was important to you. Give us a sense of how you approached this character with all of these rough edges. And tell us why he was such an important character for you?

I don’t think you can compare Sam to other characters that I’ve played, who can be considered “larger than life.” I wouldn’t say that he is more larger than life than most of them, because a lot of [my characters] are stylistically big and over the top. Phantom of the Opera, Beowulf and Leonidas. You’re really playing on exceptional power. Whereas Sam is a very charismatic man, but still just a man. What I really connected with was the fight that he had. He had incredible courage, he had incredible determination and endurance, and yet at the same time is filled with shame and anger, and this violence that just simmers underneath the surface. That to me was how to make this character more fascinating and more gripping. One of the first things we discussed is that, “We’re not making a movie about a hero here.” He is a hero, but we really want to show the downside. The falling that you get when you come across a man like this, and that not everyone agrees with what he’s doing. The cost to his family. To me, that was perhaps what brought him down from being so over-the-top was by playing his determination, and that ferocious part of him, and showing him as just a man who was always scared.

One scene that fascinated me was your moment of intense preaching. How did that emerge and affect your own relationship with spirituality, both inside and outside the confines of religion?

My god [laughs]. Listen, in truth, I’m an actor. I get into a role, I’m impacted by a role, but I can’t say that every scene I playing a movie changes my life. That was one of my favorite ever days of filming, because I did get so involved. I did all my preaching scenes in one day. I did about eight pages in one day of dialogue, and did a lot of improvisation with that dialogue. I stole some stuff from here and there, and I Youtubed so many preachers. What was interesting was this blind, I don’t mean blind in a bad way, but just this belief that they have in the power of God, and how protective they are in every way when they have that belief was very fascinating for me. And yet, to play it in an impure way, because a lot of Sam’s preaching, especially in the movie, is coming from a place almost of fanaticism, and not within the realms of a healthy sermon, by a sane creature. Because at the time, he really was losing it. Yes, let’s leave it at that.

When you were working with this material you were looking at pictures and reading documents concerning the real destruction that had affected Sudan. Has working with these real events of violence, and then replicating them, created a difficult unity of fake and real violence? Or is there still a complete difference to you?

No. If you’re doing an action movie like a Tomb Raider that I did, or Reign of Fire, or even a 300 or a Gamer, of course they’re pretty much fiction, and again as I say, stylized. You can detach yourself from the violence there. In this movie, what was more interesting and more difficult, was that the violence felt very real, and is based on actual real violence. And that’s what really helped drive me through the story, and into the emotion. And that’s one of the things that I love about this movie, because you’re very involved in all of the action. The action comes completely out of character, rather than in a movie where it’s like, “We have a couple of dramatic scenes, now we throw in the action.” That’s not what this movie is about. All of the action is based on real life incidents.

One of the things that was constantly effecting me was … I had a book. It was full of photographs of some of the horrors of this war. Villages had been attacked, people’s heads had been bashed in, graves filled with children. I could go on forever. This is what I used as my source material to get me into these scenes. Thousands of kids holding AK-47s. I was never really looking at this violence as fake, or detached from it. It felt very real to me.

You spent some time with Sam in Pennsylvania. Can you tell us how that affected your role?

I watched him preaching. He’s just a fascinating guy. It was good to sit and listen to him. Something starts to build within you the more you listen to him and watch him. And then just spending time with him, and getting a sense of the man. Listening to how he talks, and what he has been through. In one moment he can have his toothpick and really be Mr. Cool, but the next moment he can have tears in his eyes as he talks about hold a child who had been blown in half, or the shame that he feels about his own life, and the damage he did early on. Reading his book, you get such of a sense of the man.

As strongly identified as you are with larger-than-action, what was it like getting into a situation that really humanizes the action?

When I saw this movie, I had forgotten how much action was in it. It never felt like an action movie. It felt like a character based drama. And it just happens that this character got involved in firefights, and some shoot outs. And I was literally blown away when I saw how much action we did. “Oh, really, we did that?” The stuff that I remembered most were the emotional moments, which were the most powerful. It was went he went through that I remember the most from the movie.

As a former elementary school teacher, I was happy to see you working with kids again. I loved Nim’s Island. What have the kids taught you?

That would be my favorite thing about working on this movie. I think on the news you always hear about problems with kids and the family unit, etc. Yet when I made this movie, it gets you so much faith and pride in our future leaders, who is making up our society. For instance, the two kids that played my on-screen daughter at two different ages were just phenomenal little girls. They were humble and smart, cool and funny. More than anything, the kids in Africa, I was surrounded by them, that was my favorite thing to do. Getting to know them was truly the most fun experience, and actually turned out to be very profound, because then you connect who these people are. They are the same kids who are being hacked to death, who are being forced to hack family members to death. Going through unspeakable horrors and fears. But to have a little African ten-year-old saying, “What age are you? And you’re not married? You have to get yourself a wife!” I couldn’t believe how similar they were to us. How entertaining they were. I spent more time in this movie holding hands with them, my arms around them, and it was just a fun way, we’d just play games with them. I’d be guilty of doing that in movies, feeling that it was a chore. With this, that was my favorite part of the movie – just speaking to them. They were just so cool. And I’d go back to that book, and I’d open that book, and I would just look at those kids. It was tough, but it was … it was a tough movie to do, but it was very rewarding too. Really. It was an honor to tell this story.

What do you take away from a character like this?

From a movie I like this, I take away the same thing that I hope any audience member would. Hopefully to be inspired, and touched by the things that are going on elsewhere. To be educated by that. For me, this film wasa complete education, but I try and despite going through that experience, I have to take each project on an individual basis. It doesn’t mean that suddenly after doing something so heavily dramatic that I’m going to do The Ugly Truth and feel guilty about it. I’m going to try on that movie to focus on the fun, it’s time to do something different. So this movie was time to take on a challenging character, who went through a lot. People will take out of this movie whatever they take out, and maybe nothing, but I can’t imagine people won’t be impacted by this movie. I’ve never been impacted before so much by a script that I’ve read.

To amplify a bit on the business end after what occurred with 300 where you suddenly became this “it” person, how did that impact you personally and professionally? Was there any decisions that you made during that period where you thought, “Maybe that wasn’t right”? It’s kind of fascinating.

Yeah, it’s fascinating for me. When 300 came out, and hit it was a tough time for me. You felt like you should be a high as a kite. I was high, the movie was doing great. It was a fascinating experience because then I came into a doubt, because you realize, “Everything’s changed. There’s no turning back now.” I actually found that to be a hard time that I went through. And then, I was thinking, “If this is the time I want to make a killing, and become Schwarzenegger or Jason Statham, then I could go down that line, and make those movies. Or, it’s really kind of a watershed there – I could take a gamble, and make the people go, “Really? The guy who did 300 is in Nim’s Island?” But it was time to say, “Okay. I have action. Now let me go off and do some comedy, a dramatic movie, or an animated movie.” For longevity, and for my own satisfaction. To keep my own creative juices and interests going. And to be honest, that’s what’s always excited me about being an actor. I wouldn’t say I’m the best actor in the world, but I feel like I have a lot of variety. And that I can take myself to a lot of places that I think not all actors can. So, therefore, to pull off a Machine Gun Preacher or a Phantom of the Opera, to get people to say, “I didn’t know he could do that.” I just did a modern Shakespeare movie with Ralph Fiennes (Coriolanus). These are the kinds of movies that you’d typically want to run a mile from. But you’d always know that you ran a mile. And you go, “I had the opportunity to challenge myself, and I did.” Sometimes, I’ll read a project, and I’ll love it. But I’ll be sh*t scared of it, but I’ll say, “Oh god.” I know that’s it – I’ll do it. I just did a surfing film. And I couldn’t surf for sh*t. And I know it’s easy to learn to surf a bit. But that’s six months of your life. I guess that’s where I derive my strange sense of fun. By really challenging myself. It’s really exciting when people come up to you and give you compliments about your work, and the comment on the variety of your work.

If you had a choice, is this the kind of role maybe ten years ago you’d have taken? Or have you grown into this marriage of both dramatic and acting potential?

I would have done this ten years ago. I don’t know if I would have done it as well. God knows, maybe I’d have done it better. I think that this was a role that wherever I am in my life, I would see as a big challenge. You read thsi story, and you go, “This is such an incredible, almost unbelievable story that not many stories take you,” and it’s a true story. A fascinating, complex, outrageous character that I think whenever I’d have read it, I would have wanted to play it.

http://thescorecardreview.com/articles/int...-preacher/25007

view post Posted on 6/10/2011, 09:56

Group:
Moderatore globale

Intervista a Deborah Giarratana,produttrice del film :D Le ultime due domande riguardano Gerry ;)

Making ‘Machine Gun Preacher’

Hanging out with Gerard Butler was all in a day's work for Deborah Giarratana. She's the producer on the actor's latest movie, Machine Gun Preacher, out Friday. The movie follows Pennsylvanian Sam Childers, a drug dealing biker turned champion of countless orphans in South Sudan.

Giarratana was recently back home for a screening in South Florida, where her parents have run Grace Church of Kendall since 1963. The Coral Park High School grad moved out to L.A. in 1996, soon getting into the animation business, working at the company that is currently Dreamworks, and then later with Jim Cameron. The mother of two credits her faith and her family for much of her success.

How did you get involved with this project?

Around six years ago I saw Sam Childers on Dateline NBC, and I was really overwhelmed by what he was doing in Africa. My heart was gripped how he was helping children, and I wanted to find out more about this guy. The more I got into his background, the more I thought this would be an amazing opportunity for a major motion picture.

What was Childers like?

Before his transformation, he hurt a lot of people. This was a real process for him. But he has a real message: Don't dwell in the past and the pain; there is good in this world.

How did you enjoy the producing side?

Good stories are the language of our culture. I see a lot of people who are just trying to get through the day and are worried about tomorrow. If we can tell good, compelling stories that can motivate people and find purpose we can help them, which is why I started this in the first place.

What was the process like for you personally?

I'm exhausted, but it's good exhausted. It takes a lot of perseverance and maybe a little bit of blessing. It's a lot of hard work, believe me.

How did Gerard Butler get involved?

He was so moved by the story. He actually went to Pennsylvania and met the real life Machine Gun Preacher and lived in his community for a few days so he could get his head around who he was. When he came back he said, ‘I have to do this movie.’ He got paid nothing — I mean a fraction of a fraction of what he normally gets paid. So you can honestly say it was a labor of love. Something happened to him on his journey. He found about his life and his purpose about who he is as a human being.

What was it like working with a bonafide movie star?

He showed compassion on every level to everybody [on set] as well as many of his fans that followed him everywhere. He was a godsend to this project, and I want him to be blessed for the rest of his life. He made us all look good.

Read more: www.miamiherald.com/2011/10/06/2440...l#ixzz1ZzQm3LnO

view post Posted on 13/10/2011, 00:09

Group:
Moderatore globale

lungo articolo che parla di MGP ma soprattutto spiega perchè,per questo film,Gerry meriti l'Oscar :D chi scrive,non so se è un/a semplice fan o giornalista, è prodigo di complimenti *_*

www.canyon-news.com/artman2/publish...es_An_Oscar.php

Why Gerard Butler Deserves An Oscar

HOLLYWOOD—The constantly popular actor Gerard Butler is world famous. He’s often talked about in the tabloids, even though he’s rarely guilty of anything other than standing beside a leading lady or any other actress on a red carpet in Hollywood, New York City or London, when a snap of a cameraman’s shutter, it immediately is reported falsely that a man who should be known for his amazing work on the big screen is talked about for dating a starlet or supermodel. Falsely I say, because it’s normally not true, and Butler takes all the lies and rumors on the chin, however after critics and fans see his mesmerizing performance in “Machine Gun Preacher,” they are going to take a second look at a man, who I believe should be nominated for an Academy Award in this true life story, in which Butler transforms himself from handsome leading man, to a man of God, that sees hope where many see hopelessness.

Almost every actor hopes for that one pivotal role that changes their status in Tinseltown from hunk and handsome leading man to actor. This film does just that for Butler, and his powerful performance left me in tears. The Scottish actor, who grew up in Ireland is perhaps one of the most underrated actors in the industry. It’s not his fault. He has given some of the best performances of any actor of his era, however, between tabloids only talking about his alleged hookups with every single leading lady in town, which he flatly denies, and the fact that he’s so good in romantic comedies, many never saw this incredible acting job coming. I always believed that he was not appreciated far enough for his brilliant performances in the past. Though after anyone sees him as a preacher, who is willing to walk through hell to make a difference in the lives of others, he may just turn me religious again, as he turned me into one of his biggest fans overnight!

The former drug dealer Sam Childers has a religious awakening of sorts, and it leads him to find something in life bigger than his own ego. Since the late 1990s, Childers has devoted himself to helping the war-torn region of East Africa and its orphans. His very unorthodox way of dealing with things made him such an icon within the African community and around the world. Even seasoned United Nations workers noted his determination and very odd approach to humanitarianism.

Butler battles against the evils in East Africa, that want to destroy its people. Butler as Childers goes up against the Lord’s Resistance Army, which is nothing but a terrorist group that has ravaged the women, kidnapped the children and murdered the men in parts of northern Uganda and southern Sudan.

Hollywood insiders will see where I’m going with this. However, just to make sure you are on the same path that I am on. Butler does much more than just an excellent job in the role of a lifetime. What he does, is place himself permanently on the list of the finest actors of the mid 20th Century, such as Henry Fonda, Clark Gable, Gregory Peck and Sir Laurence Olivier. He even eclipses the well-known talent of Academy winner Sir Anthony Hopkins. He goes further emotionally than actor James Franco did in “127 Hours,” and even surpasses the work of Russell Crowe in “A Beautiful Mind.” Yes, Gerard Butler is that good.

Gerard is astounding in “Machine Gun Preacher.” He makes you believe a story, that is not only true, but would not be convincing with any other actor but Butler in the role.

The first half of the film is all about transformation. From druggie to soulful minister, the incredible performance given just leaves nothing to the imagination. That is saying a lot. Who knew Gerard Butler had such a rich and diverse resevior of emotions that he could pull from when it came to a role that would need any actor to stretch their dramatic skills just to accomplish half of what Butler did in this film.

Being from the Bible Belt of the South, I have seen these sort of changes in people’s lives. From the point they realize that they must change in order to save their families and oftentimes their own lives. They reach deep into their souls and then go on a mission. Those missions usually just include witnesses to nonbeliever. But not for Childers. His mission was to change and save the world. He’s still doing his work, but can rest assured that Butler did his very best portraying his very complex life to the audience.

From church to city streets, from war-torn Africa to creating a better life for a lot of orphans who the world turned their back on, and felt they were not worthy of saving. Childers does a terrific service to the world, but Gerard Butler does even more than that in this film. What the handsome actor does is change the description in front of his name in the credits from handsome and hunky to thespian, and ultimately with this role, he deserves another title or description before his name. It should be Academy Award nominated actor Gerard Butler. He has definitely proved his worthiness as a Hollywood leading man, who should be getting a lot more dramatic groundbreaking work. Butler after this marathon performance even deserves the world legend to be attached to his name.

view post Posted on 13/10/2011, 10:29

Group:
Administrator

Mamma mia,se tutti avessero il coraggio di dire le cose come questo signore... che tra l'altro non è una blogger innamorata.. è -da quel che ho potuto capire- un esperto del cinema hollywoodiano....

Speriamo che Gerry lo possa leggere e sentirsi apprezzato!

ps: ma la notizia che Gerry sia cresciuto in Irlanda dove l'ha presa???? :unsure:

view post Posted on 13/10/2011, 10:47

Group:
Moderatore globale

anche i migliori sbagliano...glielo perdoniamo perchè ha detto delle cose meravigliose :occhilucidi:

iam.what.iam
view post Posted on 13/10/2011, 19:46

CITAZIONE
the most underrated actors in the industry. It’s not his fault. He has given some of the best performances of any actor of his era, however, between tabloids only talking about his alleged hookups with every single leading lady in town, which he flatly denies, and the fact that he’s so good in romantic comedies, many never saw this incredible acting job coming

questo giornalista ha pienamente ragione...ho sempre pensato che tutto questo gossip che lo riguarda non faccia altro che danneggiarlo..e lo stesso effetto sortiscono quei filmacci di serie B (stile BH) che ha fatto ultimamente..e qui ricadiamo nella "bravura" dei suoi press agents e company :angry:

view post Posted on 16/12/2011, 13:32

Group:
Administrator

Una intervista lunghissima,che merita di essere letta con calma,per chi può!

www.aintitcool.com/node/51266

Capone chooses his weapon and sits down with Gerard Butler to talk MACHINE GUN PREACHER and CORIOLANUS!!!
Published at: Sep 20, 2011 6:49:43 AM CDT

Hey everyone. Capone in Chicago here.

Gerard Butler's career is interesting, to say the least. He remains one of the most bankable actors working today, but you'd be hard pressed to name five of his films that are worth watching twice, or even once. That being said, I am most definitely excited to see what kind of fire he breathes into the film adaptation of the infrequently produced Shakespeare play CORIOLANUS, opposite Ralph Fiennes (who also directed), which most of us won't get a chance to see until January. And part of the reason I'm curious about Butler's work in in CORIOLANUS is because of what he does in his current film MACHINE GUN PREACHER, which opens in select cities this weekend and goes wide next weekend.

Although I may have issues with some of the choices writer Jason Keller and director Marc Forster make in bringing the story of real-life preacher Sam Childers to the big screen, I found very little fault with Butler's portrayal of this once bad man who find God and becomes a doer of great goods, especially on behalf of African orphans. MACHINE GUN PREACHER also features some terrific performances by the likes of Michelle Monaghan and Michael Shannon, as well as the fantastic Souleymane Sy Savane.

But back to Butler, whose career turning point was 300, but has since given us such questionable works as P.S. I LOVE YOU, THE UGLY TRUTH, LAW ABIDING CITIZEN, THE BOUNTY HUNTER, and GAMER. And let us not forget his pre-300 performances in DRACULA 2000, the second LARA CROFT movie, TIMELINE, and THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA.

In the end, I was much more interested in talk with Butler about his current work than asking him to explain or apologize for his past work, and it didn't surprise me that he asked me when we met if I liked MACHINE GUN PREACHER. Strangely enough, that question rarely gets asked in interviews I do. But for someone whose career is seemingly under constant attack, I can see why he'd be a little skittish about something he's genuinely proud of and is being received well by preview audiences.

I was told just before I interviewed Butler that there was Oscar buzz around the movie, and I'm not sure I'd go that far, but it is a very watchable movie about an incredible man (one whom I interviewed the following day, actually; I'll have that for you shortly). In the mean time, please enjoy my brief conversation with Gerard Butler, which took place just prior to a rousing Q&A we did after a screening of the film in Chicago.

Gerard Butler: So you’ve seen the movie then?

Capone: Yeah, I saw it a couple of weeks ago.

GB: Did you like it?

Capone: I did, for the most part.

GB: Yeah? You can be honest, I don’t mind.

Capone: I’m a big fan of Marc Forster. I like that the guy doesn’t really even know how to repeat himself in terms of the kind of material he does, and it’s just a really fascinating story. And I like that it’s something I haven’t really seen you do a lot of. What was it that struck you about Sam’s story initially when you got the script or heard about him?

GB: I think it would be the same thing that struck anybody, to see a guy who went throw such a massive transformation, somebody who was a smack addict, a heroin addict, this violent rogue who within a couple of years was a preacher living between the U.S. and the Sudan building an orphanage for kids and fighting in a civil war. Just saying that, those words coming out of your mouth, and you go… “Okay…”

Capone: “It sounds like a movie.”

GB: It sounds like a movie and it sounds almost like ridiculous fiction, and yet it’s a true story. So, you read that and you are so moved, kind of shocked, horrified, and yet strangely inspired by the story. So I think I had the same reaction as anybody would have to this material or to this movie, and then I’m lucky enough to be in a position where I could also play that guy, and of course I love a role that I can get my teeth into or a role that is unusual and I get a chance to say something different.

Capone: Was there something on a more personal level for you that you found a kinship in, in terms of some of the demons he had to overcome before he could complete the transformation?

GB: Absolutely. By the way, this is another reason why I think people will identify with the movie, because whether it’s in a larger scale of actual drugs, violence, escaping your environment, or whether is just somebody beating other demons within themselves. Whatever that happens to be, that’s why you identify with this character, because he finally faced those demons and overcame them and had this kind of incredible transformative period.

Yeah, without a doubt, I’ve been in a lot of places where he has be in, on a smaller scale. I wasn’t picking up shotguns. I wasn’t robbing crack houses, but I was getting into my own trouble, which was in my world the same kind of thing. To me, that was my reality, and so yeah I identify a lot with the kind of pain that he went through, the anger, the confusion, and then the frustration of somebody who is trying to do good. But in a way, he typically doesn’t really know how to do that and he bites off more than he can chew, which is the kind of thing that can get you in a whole lot of trouble, but can also have you break borders and do things that the normal man wouldn’t do. That’s Sam.

Capone: In some of those early scenes with his family and with Michael Shannon, those are rough; those are hard to watch. Was it more important for us to like him or was it more important to understand him?

GB: I think it’s more important for us to understand him. That’s a good question. Is it? Or is it just more important for us to see him and then for us to either like him or understand him or hate him. The audience can make of this what they will, but I felt through that that I understood him, that I saw a man who was stuck in this environment and who was definitely on the way down and who couldn’t connect with anything in life, not himself, not his family, nothing. So it was interesting to see him at that stage in his life and then point out all the more what great steps forward he made in the rest of his life to show you where he came from.

Capone: That bit of film of the real Sam at the end where he asks that question, “If your kid was kidnapped, would you care about how I got him back?” Did you agree with that? Did you, at any time during the reading of the script or making of the film, say, “I don’t think I would have done things that way.” Whether it was a courage thing or just a morality thing, did you ever come into conflict with some of the things that he was doing or the way he was doing it?

GB: I’m not Sam. I don’t think I would ever be capable of doing what Sam has done for a variety of reasons and I’m not built like Sam in many ways, and yet I have such a respect for what he did. I know that his actions and his achievements have been very controversial and I understand that. By the way, there would be a time when I could have argued myself, “Is this right? Is vigilantism justifiable?” But those simple words at the end of the movie, in one sentence he says something where I don’t think there would anybody who wouldn't say, “Fair point, that kind of wins the argument," you know? But I like that it’s left for everybody to argue about. The fact is, he is what he is and he’s done what he’s done; the fact is, there’s an orphanage down there where many hundreds of kids lives have been saved, and everyday many hundreds of kids are being fed.

Capone: You’re listed as an executive producer on this film. What did that entail?

GB: Obviously producing is a way more in depth, involved experience than executive producing. When you make a movie like MACHINE GUN PREACHER, basically that movie is not going anywhere until you say, “Yes.” Then you have your name and then you have your value in it, and the movie happens. So I think that the tradeoff now is “Well okay, if you are going to do that, then we want to be executive producers, myself and my partner.”

Now on top of that, we got very involved in the development of the story. I worked very near with Marc and Jason, really working this script. We would have these epic script sessions, sometimes nine hours--I think we had one that was even more than that--over the year where we would just lock ourselves away and work it and just always kind of staying involved in the publicity aspects, and also have a very close relationship with Relativity Media and [CEO] Ryan Kavanaugh. That’s one of the reasons that we are going through Relativity is through my relationship with them. Without a doubt, the ones we've produced, I’ve been way more involved in those sort of things.

Capone: Right, in addition to Marc being your director, Michelle Monaghan and Michael Shannon are just two of my favorite actors. Michael's a great Chicago actor. Let’s talk about Michael first. What is it like working with him? I always got this sort of real bizarre, intense vibe, but it works for everything he does.

GB: Yeah. Michael comes from a very quiet place of being an observer. He doesn’t necessarily feel the need to jump into a conversation to prove himself, to people-please which I can say without a doubt that I’ve been guilty of many times. That’s not him. As you say, he plays really interesting characters and he’s a very interesting person, and as you get to know him, he opens up more and more. I love that experience, because then you really feel when you are becoming friends that it’s something that you’ve earned, because he doesn’t walk in and throw his arms around you and say, “Hey, you’re my buddy, let’s go.”

But as an actor, it’s rare to work with somebody who just has so much going on in his performance and where he is, and he is incredibly alive and he never plays it the way you expect someone to play it. He’s very generous as an actor, there are no games going on, which you often experience. I love my scenes with him, because I almost love that part of the relationship. That part of the movie is my relationship with my best buddy. We’ve been through everything together; we've been through the worst of the worst, the darkest moments, drug filled violent to both of us suddenly finding God and getting our lives together. Our friendship is that kind of long deep powerful friendship we had. I just thought that that part of the movie, in a way, gave it more gravitas, made the whole effect more profound, and really that was Michael. I mean, you can’t do any of that unless you have your other actor giving you that. He is so talented, and that may seem cliché to say, but I love him.

Capone: Yeah, I agree.

GB: And he’s working all of the time now, because there is nobody out there who hasn’t witnessed him working and doesn’t say, “I love that guy. I love watching that guy.” He blows you away.

Capone: Those are some of my favorite scenes in the movie, with the two of you. It’s not about forwarding the plot, it’s just about the two of you being friends.

GB: Two guys just shooting the shit, and yet when you stick that in the environment in the part of the story when it appears, it makes it all the more powerful and all the more interesting, where we are? Two guys robbing a crack den, picking up a hitchhiker, getting into all sorts of trouble there, or me helping him though difficult areas of his life and also him helping me when I needed it. Whether it’s the right or the wrong way, he’s there for me and I’m there for him. Then in a way, we're not there for each other, which you’re right, it’s without a doubt right up there with my favorite parts of the movie.

Capone: Then Michelle, who is one of the few beautiful women that can play this kind of working-class character. She’s done it before. Tell me about working with her.

GB: Well for a start as a person, Michelle is incredibly cool and incredibly fun. She is one of those girls who is as comfortable with the electricians, the key grip, the cameraman, anybody in the crew, catering as she is with her makeup crew or me or the director. We all get the same treatment, and fun and smart and self deprecating and then surprisingly irreverent. So, I was really blown away to get a girl who has that beauty and yet has so much more to give in terms of personality.

Capone: Was that a tough role to find the right person to play?

GB: Yes, absolutely.

Capone: I can imagine.

GB: And it was also the hardest role that we had when we were working on the script, trying to make Lynn not sound like just a kind of whiney drowning person. It’s not like Lynn is like that as a person--the actual Lynn--it’s just because Sam is always forging ahead very much without the consent of his family and doing things that any wife would have problems with, it was, “How do you bring Lynn out of that hole of just being a woman who has issues all of the time with what her husband is doing?”

Then you bring in Michelle, and she gave you all of those qualities together with an encouragement, a compassion for Sam and a compassion for his work and a sexiness and a sassiness, which is something that we never had with Lynn. And suddenly Michelle arrives and you go “Oh, there you go.” Because we needed to be reminded of the fun that these guys had. They had a really great life, and I think originally in the script that wasn’t there, and now we also have this great relationship, so that you feel so much more pain when you see it going wrong, because you know what they actually had together. She just performs at so many levels, incredibly subtle actress and yet as you say can really grab that quality.

Capone: Before they shut me down, I was about to say the trailer is for CORIOLANUS is awesome. It just looks badass. When you're doing a Shakespeare, does that feel like the stakes are higher?

GB: Yeah. [Laughs] I can’t lie.

Capone: “People are going to notice if I screw this up.”

GB: Which is why I wanted to do it. Look, I’ve got to tell you it’s like you say, “Sam, was that a difficult decision to take that on?” Absolutely it is, but my problem is once you see a challenge, for me anyway, I can’t go the other way, because it will always be in the back of my mind, “That was a scary role and you didn’t take it on, because you didn’t have the guts. You weren’t courageous enough.”

Then there was Shakespeare, and I was going standoff against Ray Fiennes and Vanessa Redgrave and Brian Cox, who are masters of that, and then kind of say, “Okay, one, that’s a challenge, and I want to see if I can do that. And two, I don’t mind being humbled. I don’t mind learning.” As I’m acting, I always want to keep schooling myself. Shakespeare is not my typical territory; it is their territory, and I knew “Wow, how often do you get that opportunity?” What was lovely for me was that Ralph was so excited for me to play that role, and he told me a lot about why I was right for that role and you go, “Well you know what? If Ralph Fiennes is saying this, then let me jump on board.” Plus, the script was phenomenal. It’s a great story.

Capone: I’ve heard that from other actors, they say they look for things that scare them a little.

GB: It keeps things interesting.

Capone: Alright, well I know you wanted to run in and see some of the end of the movie. It was good to meet you. I don’t know if they told you, I’m actually moderating the Q&A with you guys.

GB: Oh, you are? How long is the Q&A?

Capone: Probably like 20-30 minutes or so.

GB: Perfect. That was a good interview; you asked some really great questions.

Capone: Thanks. Hopefully, I’ll ask some more during the Q&A.

gemini78
view post Posted on 16/12/2011, 23:53

Grazie Ariel, davvero interessante!!

simcio
view post Posted on 4/1/2012, 15:34

sortedmgp1

sortedmgp2

sortedmgp3

sortedmgp4

Sono stata brava, no!?

Edited by sabrinta - 4/1/2012, 15:50

view post Posted on 4/1/2012, 15:45

Group:
Moderatore globale

bravissima,continua così!! :clap:

ps:te le ho solo rimpicciolite un pò perchè sformavano troppo la pagina ;)

view post Posted on 4/1/2012, 15:46

Group:
Administrator

Davvero! complimenti!!!

view post Posted on 5/1/2012, 00:08

I command it!

Group:

:clap: Simo

una nota a margine: lo dicevo che dopo le riprese di mgp mi sembrava diverso (nello sguardo direi) da prima...

view post Posted on 30/5/2012, 11:45

Group:
Administrator

Un articolo che offre una breve clip in cui il regista del film spiega come mai la scelta sia caduta su Gerry.

http://www.craveonline.com/film/previews/1...ne-gun-preacher

Go behind the scenes of Marc Forster's Machine Gun Preacher in this exclusive preview from the film's DVD/Blu-ray release on June 5, 2012. The film, which received a positive review from CraveOnline, stars Gerard Butler as Sam Childers, a real-life ex-con who finds Jesus and becomes a missionary in the Sudan, only to take up arms once again to fight for the children forced to become soldiers in the war-torn land.

In the clip, Marc Forster (Monster's Ball, Quantum of Solace) explains the difficulty in casting Sam Childers, whose overt masculinity was hard to match in the world of Hollywood actors. The role eventually went to Gerard Butler, a star best known for his brusque growlings in popular and acclaimed films like 300 and Coriolanus.

89 replies since 5/3/2010, 14:05   2325 views