Machine gun preacher - screen tests

« Older   Newer »
view post Posted on 8/2/2011, 14:07

He's a lion that I am proud to hunt

Group:
Administrator

Qui ci sono due recensioni più ampie e articolate (che sembrano entrambe molto obiettive)

Susan~Sporran Icon

Posted Yesterday, 12:45 AM
"I also attended the screening on Monday night. For the most part I thought it was excellent, "emotionally intense" was how I described it. It is NOT an easy movie to watch and as joycee said, the first part of the movie that shows us just what a horrific excuse for a human being Sam was before he found religion is very very dark and I hope people don't up and leave the theater before his transformation. There were parts of the movie that dragged a bit, there were parts that I wished I could recall during that quick 10 minutes we had to fill out a 2-page survey after it ended. I remembered things later, talking to others who attended, and on the drive back home. It seemed like the transformation was too pat, glossed over a bit. He goes from this person I can't imagine anyone wanting to be around to Mr. Upstanding Citizen really quickly. There is one small scene late in the film that I really hope doesn't end up on the cutting room floor because to me it is the crux of a really great discussion point - does the mission justify the methods? There is also the moral dilemma of Sam's detachment from those at home (wife, daughter, friend, mother) because of his commitment to saving the children of Sudan. Even when he is physically back at home he seems to be emotionally absent. I thought it was very powerful when Sam suffers a crisis of faith and we see some of his old personality flaws emerge. I think the film could raise some great debates on moral issues. I thought Gerry did a great job as Sam with the exception of one scene that bugged the heck out of me. During one of his preaching scenes at the church he built in Pennsylvania he suddenly sounds like a Southern preacher. Sam is from Pennsylvania which last I checked isn't in the south. and during the rest of the time when he is preaching or talking he does not have a southern accent, yet in that one scene his accent goes off in the wrong direction. Gerry has a struggle with accents, at least I didn't catch any of the Scottish burr coming through even in the really emotional scenes, and that had to be hard for him. I didn't put that in my survey because I didn't think of it until later, but I wish I had so perhaps it could be redone."

Another review from GALS on the screening

Musik Icon

Posted 02 February 2011 - 10:17 PM

"~ ... I think the first thing that needs clarifying is that the print we saw was a "work in progress" & the film was introduced as such. So there's an awful lot of refining that needs to be done before the final cut.

~ It's a subject that goes on in many third world countries & has actually been the focus of several films, but not one that is based on one person's 'salvation' which then becomes a tidal wave. There is a lot of violence & the beginning of the film is non stop. For me, some facets of the film felt forced. It seemed that the director was trying a little too much to convince the audience of a particular 'reality'.

~ When all the re-shoots & editing are done it could be a winner. The tone of the film needs to be more balanced in nuance, possibly intermingling the violence/salvation/struggles more in rhythm to notch up the internal struggle the main character deals with. I felt something was missing, but haven't quite defined what it is. Some very good performances, but for me none actually Oscar worthy."

view post Posted on 9/2/2011, 10:52

Group:
Moderatore globale

un commento via fb di qualche ora fa,anche se niente di trascendentale...

Corey Lankford
Tonight I had the honor of meeting Sam Childers the official "Machine Gun Preacher" who has a movie that has Gerard Butler (Star of "300" and "Law Abiding Citizen) playing him in this story coming to theaters soon! It will show the awesome transforming power of God right in Hollywood! God is still on the screen and I'm so honored to meet these individuals. I'm on my way! Hold up that banner!!

Mina*
view post Posted on 9/2/2011, 12:02

Comunque, per chi l'ha visto, ne parla bene.....dev'essere davvero bello! Spero di vederlo presto image

view post Posted on 4/6/2011, 11:49

Group:
Administrator

"David Furlong: I just got back from a private screening of an upcoming motion picture called the "Machine Gun Preacher". I believe this film is going to create a lot dialogue around peace vs. conflict to solve an issue. Marc Forster did a brilliant job directing. Stars Gerald Butler and Souleymane Sy Savane."

Per saperne di più del tipo che ne parla,qui:

www.linkedin.com/in/davidfurlong1

view post Posted on 25/8/2011, 11:19

Group:
Administrator

...Un blogger riflette sull'impatto del film sul pubblico 'cristiano' e ci fornisce ragguagli sui contenuti... a quanto pare nei primi venti minuti assisteremo anche a una scena di sesso...

http://blog.christianitytoday.com/ctentert...or-chris-1.html

'Machine Gun Preacher' for Two Audiences
Studio releases "secular" and "faith-based" versions of poster for film; see trailer below
by Mark Moring

Coming to theaters next month, Machine Gun Preacher is a movie that will appeal to some Christians because of its subject matter. It will also turn off some Christians . . . because of its subject matter.

The movie, opening in limited release on September 23, is based on the true story of Sam Childers, a drug-dealing hell raiser as a teen and young man who began to turn his life around after finding Jesus. Today, he spends much of his time in Sudan and neighboring countries, allegedly fighting pockets of the LRA (Lord's Republican Army) with his own band of gun-toting rebels while sweeping up orphans who have been left behind -- and then putting them into orphanages that he has built in the area.

Some Christians will love the film for showing Childers' path from rebellion to redemption. Others may avoid it for the same reason; the first 15-20 minutes are as in-your-face and gritty as anything you'll see in an R-rated movie (which it is), with a sex scene, drug dealing (and taking), brutal violence, and foul language. Even after Childers -- played terrifically by Gerard Butler -- finds God, he's still got some rough edges, and his flaws stick with him through the rest of the movie. Sounds pretty realistic to me, and I appreciate the filmmakers' boldness in showing those character flaws. But it's also a bit much for the "safe-for-the-whole-family" folks who prefer their "Christian" movies to be G-rated fare.

Relativity Media, which is distributing the Marc Forster-directed film, realizes this, but knows it's also got a film on its hands that can have terrific crossover appeal -- for Christians because of the redemptive arc of the tale, and for secular audiences who appreciate character development woven into what is in many ways an action movie, with Childers as its real-life action hero.

In an attempt to reach both audiences, Relativity has released mainstream and faith-based versions of the movie poster. They also plan to release "exclusive" clips for the faith-based market in a week or so. Stay tuned.

Here are the two posters -- "secular" on the left, "faith-based" on the right. Both include the phrase, "Hope is the greatest weapon of all." In the latter, the cross motif is evident, but seems forced, especially as it cuts off Butler's forehead. But there seems to be a clear focus on the children -- the main motivation for Childers' work -- in the background.

view post Posted on 25/8/2011, 14:26

Group:
Moderatore globale

analisi interessante,è un film che farà discutere
CITAZIONE
played terrifically by Gerard Butler

:wub: (è in senso buono,vero?)
CITAZIONE
They also plan to release "exclusive" clips for the faith-based market in a week or so.

beneeee!!

intanto ho trovato un commento di una sceneggiatrice(che forse ha collaborato?boh)-Diane Williams-che era a casa di Sam per la preview:

Saw the film today with Lynn and Sam Childers in Johnstown, PA. It's an amazing story, with strong characters and beautifully filmed. Sam's friends and family were really impressed and loved the film.

gemini78
view post Posted on 25/8/2011, 15:13

CITAZIONE (sabrinta @ 25/8/2011, 15:26) 
Saw the film today with Lynn and Sam Childers in Johnstown, PA. It's an amazing story, with strong characters and beautifully filmed. Sam's friends and family were really impressed and loved the film.

Per fortuna!

view post Posted on 6/9/2011, 16:03

Group:
Administrator

Non so se considerarlo una recensione,un'anticipazione o una promozione... ma ho trovato questo:

www.ifc.com/news/2011/08/2011-fall-movie-preview.php

9/23 - "MACHINE GUN PREACHER" (Relativity - Marc Forster - Drama)

What Is It: Marc Forster ("Quantum of Solace," "Monster's Ball") directs the true-life story of Sam Childers (Gerard Butler), a former drug-dealing biker who found God and became a crusader for hundreds of Sudanese children who've been forced to become soldiers. Childers and his wife Lynn (played by Michelle Monaghan) founded and currently operate Angels of East Africa, the Children's Village Orphanage in Nimule, Sudan.

Why We Care: Yes, thank you, Marc Forster, for giving Gerard Butler a role in something that's not a lame romantic comedy co-starring Jennifer Aniston or Hilary Swank or whoever. Don't let the somewhat goofy, "Hobo with a Shotgun"-esque title throw you off -- the story of Sam Childers is a strange but true fable; whatever inspired a hard-drinking biker thug to drop his hellraising ways and go save the children in the name of the Lord can only be described as "miraculous." Michael Shannon is in this, too, which is awesome, but we're most looking forward to seeing Butler sink his teeth into his first truly lusty/juicy role since screaming (often) about Sparta as King Leonidas in "300." Call this a Saul/Paul yarn for those who know their Bible, and Childers certainly knows his -- and hundreds of kids thank him for it.

gemini78
view post Posted on 6/9/2011, 16:25

Mah...direi più una promozione

view post Posted on 6/9/2011, 17:17

Group:
Moderatore globale

anche secondo me è una promozione...e menomale!

view post Posted on 7/9/2011, 09:52

Group:
Moderatore globale

commenti via fb sullo screening di ieri sera:

Natalie Van Sistine
Saw a preview showing of Machine Gun Preacher. Really fantastically well done and GERARD BUTLER WAS EVEN THERE. His natural accent is really adorable and he has very scrunchy hair too. Also much smaller than I figured him for for some reason. XD It's amazing what the real Sam Childers has managed to do and I'm definitely praying that he'll be able to help more children around the world in future. Definitely recommend the film if you get a chance to catch it!

Philip Sullivan
it was a really good movie I recommend it for sure

Brian McIntyre
#MachineGunPreacher is a powerful story of #redemption & being an agent of change. Warning: Rated R - very obvious reasons. #transformation

Mina*
view post Posted on 7/9/2011, 11:29

I commenti sono più che positivi......la mia voglia di vederlo cresce sempre di più!!

41 replies since 1/2/2011, 16:47   996 views