Machine gun Preacher - Recensioni

« Older   Newer »
view post Posted on 23/9/2011, 16:01

He's a lion that I am proud to hunt

Group:
Administrator

Va bene... rotten tomatoes ha espresso un suo giudizio.. ma io sono andata a cercare altre recensioni,eccole:

www.moviefanatic.com/2011/09/machin...r-movie-review/

Editor Rating: 4.0 / 5.0

User Rating: 4.8 / 5.0

www.guardian.co.uk/film/2011/sep/13...preacher-review

Machine Gun Preacher – review
Gerard Butler, as the eponymous lock-and-load crusader, takes his personal brand of redemption to the edge of parody in Marc Foster's patchy drama

***/*****

www.avclub.com/articles/machine-gun-preacher,62132/

Rating: B

Butler acquits himself well in a smoldering performance that embraces show-don’t-tell, and the obvious fragility of the world he’s trying to build and protect is heartbreaking.

www.variety.com/review/VE1117946065/

While the result is yet another story of African suffering told from a white do-gooder's perspective, this particular do-gooder is intrinsically fascinating enough to warrant attention, albeit more nuanced attention than he receives here. Inspirational trappings and decent action elements aside, this Relativity release leaves a medicinal aftertaste that will likely serve as a commercial deterrent, though some Christian audiences might respond.

Il rating qui è del 41%

La media del giudizio non è eccezionale,soprattutto relativamente alla trama e alla resa finale del film;ma il'99% delle recensioni esalta la recitazione di Gerry...persino gli scettici si sono meravigliati delle sue qualità!

Credo che la recensione più obiettiva sia quella del Guardian UK,della quale riporto tra l'altro il finale:

What it lacks is balance: we never discover what Childers' enemies are fighting for, or much about the background of the conflict. Some gloss would hardly have endangered ones's allegiance – we're endlessly shown the results of horrific acts of rape, torture and slaughter – but it would have helped bring nuance to a film that sorely needs it

view post Posted on 24/9/2011, 19:04

Group:
Moderatore globale

altre recensioni positive,la prima è presa da LA Times, l'altra dal blog di una semplice spettatrice

[...]The Sudan side of the story allows Butler to flex his action muscles as Sam finds an outlet for the rage that always seems just under the surface even when he's trying for godly. It also puts the excellent Souleymane Sy Savane center stage. If you haven't seen Sy Savane in the indie "Goodbye Solo," now is the time to catch up, and if the Hollywood gods are with us, he will soon be around for us to watch a lot more often.

Meanwhile, Sam as a character is a good fit for Butler, always a dominating physical presence on screen à la "300," a trait that tends to overwhelm and undermine his romantic comedy outings, as was the case in "The Bounty Hunter" and "The Ugly Truth." Sam's mission lets the actor combine the machismo with the emotion that you wondered if Butler could channel as well. He can. Butler and Sy Savane, an anti-LRA fighter who befriends Sam, make a good pair too — one explosive, the other introspective, those sensibilities balancing each other to give the film its most moving relationship.

l'intera recensione qui: www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/...,0,645121.story

Very rarely does a movie get stuck in my head where I obsess over every scene... The Machine Gun Preacher did just that! This movie was like reading a really good book with great character development and with an incredible story to tell.

The movie starts off hard, rough and gritty. Gerard Butler's character was insane... HE was insane. Butler did such a fantastic job portraying Sam Childers. Childers was rough, alcoholic, drug addict, been in prison, and was a horrible father and husband. Butler played his part very well, a little too well. I'm a huge fan of Gerard Butler and it was really getting to me, to see him play such a horrible man, the worst you could imagine.
[...]
I felt that this movie was casted perfectly, Gerard Butler was a perfect Sam Childers. Sam's wife who was played by Michelle Monaghan, did a fantastic job. I would think it would be hard to play alongside such a strong character, as Butler had to play, but Monaghan held her own. She was as strong of a character in this movie as he was, she was not drowned out by Butlers brilliance at all.
I would see this movie all over again, even though it was harsh. When I say harsh, I mean the children in Sudan are starving, orphaned, and dying. This movie was really hard for me to watch, however, The Machine Gun Preacher has a strong message to send out and the movie did an excellent job of doing that. I went home and immediately donated to the Sam Childers site, he even has a donation set up for a well, so the children can have clean drinking water.

Per leggerla tutta: www.readingteen.net/2011/09/movie-r...Reading+Teen%29

:D

qui invece ce n'è una negativa che vede male anche il protagonista...
http://showbuzzdaily.blogspot.com/2011/09/...n-preacher.html

MACHINE GUN PREACHER: Watch It At Home - A True Story Rings False

MACHINE GUN PREACHER simply isn't good enough for the story it wants to tell.
[...]
The cast is not ideal. Butler is a good physical match for Childers but gives a very blunt, unenlightening performance, switching from stolidity to screaming intensity without much modulation. Monaghan has nothing to play but "the wife," and the Africans with whom Childers comes into contact are one-dimensional. Only Michael Shannon, in the small role of Childers' desperate childhood friend, bursts with troubled life; when he shares the screen with the other actors, he unintentionally makes them look bad.

Edited by sabrinta - 26/9/2011, 01:05

view post Posted on 29/9/2011, 18:46

Group:
Administrator

Una recensione che ancora una volta sottolinea la buona prestazione di Gerry,ma stigmatizza la pochezza della regia e della sceneggiatura

http://www.screendaily.com/reviews/the-lat...5032307.article

Dir: Marc Forster. US. 2010. 123mins

Cynics beware! Marc Forster’s latest film is an acutely earnest movie about an evangelical Christian convert on a self-appointed quest to save children in Sudan. Centred around an energetically masculine performance by Gerard Butler, it might look like a powerful true life drama but don’t be fooled by the wrapping: it is in fact a naïve Hollywoodised biopic without much nuance or narrative sophistication.

Butler gives it his all as the self-ordained preacher and self-proclaimed child-saviour and he has a certain raw power.

You can imagine this story being made 50 years ago with Charlton Heston in the lead role, battling all that is wrong with the world in the name of God. In fact, the film has a real shot at tapping into the US Christian audience which turned out for The Passion Of The Christ, if Relativity Media has the guts to go all-out Christian in its domestic campaign. International distributors will find it a struggle to position it as either action movie or prestige title and its gung-ho American piety will work against it with media and audiences.

Childers was a biker, drug dealer and violent hood from Pennsylvania. At the start of the movie, he gets out of jail and is reunited with his wife Lynn (Monaghan) who tells him that she has quit her job as a stripper and been born again as a Christian. After one crazy night too many, Childers asks for her help and she and her mother (Baker) take him to the local church where he too becomes a born-again, finally kicking drugs and working hard to win over his daughter (Carroll) and rescue his best friend (Shannon) from drugs and crime.

While he is in Africa lending a hand on a missionary effort in northern Uganda, he is told of the war in Sudan and takes an impromptu visit there. Greatly affected by the savagery and devastation he sees, he pledges to return and build an orphanage. He is true to his word, although he earns the wrath of the Lord’s Resistance Army (LRA), which is behind the abduction of tens of thousands of children forced to be soldiers or sex slaves.

Frustrated at the vulnerability of the orphanage, he turns aggressor and sets out as a vigilante to rescue children from the clutches of the LRA. In doing so, he puts his sanity, his family and his life at risk.

Childers is not a particularly nuanced fellow and his inner conflict here is not necessarily riveting – it’s basically fight the LRA or leave. His own bullheaded naïveté, illustrated in the scene where he rails against a local Pennsylvania businessman for not giving more to Africa, is shared by the film that takes a simple and subjective approach to the character.

There is little insight into the complexity of Sudan nor representation of the Sudanese (Souleymane Sy Savane is the sole voice of the Sudanese people here), but nor are the American characters back home given much to work with. Fine actors like Monaghan, Shannon and Baker don’t have much to do.

Butler gives it his all as the self-ordained preacher and self-proclaimed child-saviour and he has a certain raw power, but Forster and screenwriter Jason Keller don’t give him much to work with. The dull linear structure could so easily have been shaken up to illuminate Childers’ extraordinary life in a different chronological order and invest his journey with a more considered perspective.

view post Posted on 29/9/2011, 19:06

Group:
Moderatore globale

questa giornalista è entusiasta del film e soprattutto di Gerry,fa una piccola analisi su come deve essere la sua vita ora che è al top della carriera,ha pensato anche di invitarlo a far parte dell'associazione di cui lei stessa è membro,la Producers Guild, e poi accenna che vorrebbe proporgli un progetto tutto scozzese se dovesse incontrarlo di nuovo :D

Gunning on Behalf of Gerard Butler: Machine Gun Preacher

I bumped into Gerard Butler two nights in a row -- first at a Producers Guild screening of his new movie, Machine Gun Preacher, and then again at a charity fundraiser and the premiere of it. What a film! What an actor! He is engaging and charming and at the top of his career so it's an exciting time in his life -- especially with such a compelling movie to show off his talent! It represents a lot of passion that went into bringing a Dateline NBC story and book into its own powerhouse film! Do see it! Butler makes Stallone look like a titmouse -- but then again, I have a very staunch idea of what make a film star.

My dad enjoyed a deep and abiding friendship with Jimmy Stewart and I learned a lot about what it was like to have to be a movie star. He has to be larger than life -- and that certain energy -- it was easy to overlook his skill because it all looked so natural. I think this is a curse for the handsome actor and this no exception for actor Gerard Butler who not only stars in Machine Gun Preacher, a true story of Sam Childers, a bad-ass drug dealing ex-con who converts to Christianity and goes to East Africa (Uganda and the Sudan) in the midst of civil war to help coerced children get out of fighting and return to their lives as children, but executive produces as well!

It's a phenomenal movie though it has received mixed reviews -- the critics can be so wrong. One said that he is in every scene and planned it that way. Oh please! The story is about Sam Childers and this is his story! They are just jealous of Butler, who can bring movies to life and look good doing it! George Clooney has a way with others (see next week's column) and I suspect Gerard Butler's charm won't keep him far behind. I hope his humor and humility take him far in Hollywood. When he spoke of being honored to have been involved with this project, he was honest and real, just as I was honored to have spoken with him one on one.

What really counters his physicality, which opens the movie, is his sensitivity, something no Scottish lad would ever admit to. That's star quality. He becomes his characters; he feels the characters. In wonderfully gifted Joel Schumacher's Phantom of the Opera, he was a delicious Phantom. And I know Joel Schumacher loved working with this actor who began his career as a child on the stage. In real life, his salvation may have been soccer but here it is his character's wife's fervor which she shares with him.

In Machine Gun Preacher, we see a borderline madness and Butler makes the illusion complete when later in the film as Childers, he goes back to Africa on a killing spree in the name of the children. This is when we question his motives -- how much is driven by his personal demons and how much is it for the children? As someone who has been in the trenches in third world countries fighting for literacy with my own organization (see www.powerforkids.com) his kick-ass behavior is conflicting and confusing.

I would have loved to supply these children with books and teach them to read but our character had to murder the enemy who is stealing children and murdering their parents so that this strong moral dilemma plagued the movie. "Thou shall not kill" went right out the window -- even though it was in self-defense. Was he right in killing? The audiences seem to think so.

Butler seems comfortable with his emotions, which are something like an actor's refrigerator contents -- they have to be able to reach in and pull out a beer and serve it up on tap. Or a red velvet cake, a glass of champagne, or a cheeseburger. Here, we get a gourmet meal as Butler transforms his looks and voice into those of a "Pennsylvania hillbilly" who is unrecognizable.

He wasn't afraid to do his best for the film and involve the best people he could find including voice coach Jerome Butler, who helped him have a perfect "Pennsylvania hillbilly" accent and heavy-handed director, Marc Forster, which worked perfectly to deliver the harsh realities of the story. In one moving scene, we see the evils of the LRA, as they force a child to kill his mother so he will have to go fight with the evil Lord's Resistance Army. It's a scene that you will never forget.

Mr. Butler's intensity holds the audience hostage. He challenges you. He may not make you want to lean in and hug him but he sure makes the story come alive and it's a story that you couldn't make up if you tried. It is so compelling and raw and real that at the charity-fundraising premiere, the audience was spellbound and at the industry screening I also attended, the film received a standing ovation! It's wow factor is spelled W-O-W!

I asked Mr. Butler why he received an executive producer credit since I am a member of the Producers Guild and this is often an issue and if he earned it, I wanted to invite him to become a member of our organization. He was quiet and I could tell he was being modest and it was at this point Relativity Media CEO Ryan Kavanaugh stepped in and said, "Were it not for Mr. Butler, the film could never have been made. It was his commitment to the project and story that he saw through which brought it to life." Wow! No faint praise here! I immediately thought of my own Scottish project and made a mental note to share it with him if I saw Mr. Butler a third night in a row!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/patricia-rus...r_b_986334.html

gemini78
view post Posted on 29/9/2011, 19:12

Che bella recensione!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

CITAZIONE
He becomes his characters; he feels the characters. In wonderfully gifted Joel Schumacher's Phantom of the Opera, he was a delicious Phantom.

Oh ecco una che capisce bene! :entusiasmo:

view post Posted on 30/9/2011, 20:02

Group:
Administrator

Ennesima recensione 'cattiva' che salva solo la buona volontà di Gerry...

http://www.themortonreport.com/entertainme...-and-the-palin/

The Bad: Machine Gun Preacher

I guess Gerard Butler has decided that it’s time for him to be taken seriously as an actor. The days of mugging his way through banal Jennifer Aniston rom-coms are over and now it’s time for the man who got famous for frolicking in his underwear in 300 to become an artist. I admire the intent, but it’s a shame the first movie he chose to show the serious side of Gerard Butler is Machine Gun Preacher.

The film has an amazing title, but everything goes downhill from there. It’s based on the true story of a former drug-addled biker who found Jesus, cleaned up his life, became a preacher, and then after visiting East Africa on a charity mission, decided to try and make things easier for the inhabitants there. So he saves up, builds an orphanage in a hostile area in need, and then buys himself a machine gun to do some ass kicking against the local militia. Doesn’t sound like a terrible idea for a movie, but whoo-boy! Is this sucker ever misconceived.

The main problem with the film is that even though it’s based on a true story, it couldn’t feel less realistic. The opening scenes of Butler’s renegade biker days are stylishly filmed by director Marc Forster as if he was still working on the last Bond movie. Butler cruises around on a Harley with a shotgun in hand in what feels like a crappy outlaw action flick. Then the guy suddenly finds God in a whiplash character shift that would only be believable to the most ardent religious fanatic.

By the time he winds up in Africa, the film feels so over-the-top and melodramatic that it’s hard to take seriously. With so much ground to cover, Forster relies on tired clichés to get through the labyrinth of a plot as quickly as possible. Watching Butler cry with a recently bombed African child in his arms or tell a drug-addled buddy about the power of the Lord are scenes that should have emotional heft, but come off like overblown cheese. The film won’t move you, it’ll just induce inappropriate snickers.

In the end, I think the story of Machine Gun Preacher is just too strange and vast for a fiction movie. As a “reality is stranger than fiction” documentary it might be compelling, but here it just feels like an overstated mess. (When pictures of the real life characters pop up during the end credits, it’s jarring rather than satisfying. You’ll forget this isn’t a ridiculous Hollywood fantasy within minutes.)

I suppose the filmmakers should be cut some slack for being too ambitious with their project rather than not ambitious enough. That’s nice and certainly rare in Hollywood. What a pity that it doesn’t work other than a handful of tense action scenes that are ironically the type of thing I think Butler was trying to avoid in the first place. Admittedly Butler is decent in the movie and Michael Shannon is his typically amazing self as Butler’s old speed freak buddy. Shannon’s performance is so strong that it makes the insane reality of the movie feel genuine. I suppose that’s what the filmmakers hoped to accomplish overall, but sadly outside of a few scenes it just doesn’t work. Ah well, better luck next time.

view post Posted on 2/10/2011, 20:15

Group:
Administrator

questa recensione invece è proprio buona.. soprattutto con gerry!

http://www.moviesonline.ca/2011/10/gerard-...e-gun-preacher/

I am incredibly passionate about films that are based in reality and one that is stranger then fiction is Gerard Butlers upcoming Machine Gun Preacher. I have long been a fan of Gerard Butlers work and the material he chooses and it looks like Machine Gun Preacher will be a perfect blend of human drama, tragedy and action and prove once again why Gerard Butler is one of the leading actors in Hollywood. We have a new poster and trailer for the film which will really grab your attention.

Machine Gun Preacher is the inspirational true story of Sam Childers, a former drug-dealing criminal who undergoes an astonishing transformation and finds an unexpected calling as the savior of hundreds of kidnapped and orphaned children.

Gerard Butler (300) delivers a searing performance as Childers, the impassioned founder of the Angels of East Africa rescue organization in Golden Globe-nominated director Marc Forster’s (Monster’s Ball, Finding Neverland) moving story of violence and redemption. When ex-biker-gang member Sam Childers (Butler) makes the life-changing decision to go to East Africa to help repair homes destroyed by civil war, he is outraged by the unspeakable horrors faced by the region’s vulnerable populace, especially the children.

Ignoring the warnings of more experienced aide workers, Sam breaks ground for an orphanage where it’s most needed–in the middle of territory controlled by the brutal Lord’s Resistance Army (LRA), a renegade militia that forces youngsters to become soldiers before they even reach their teens.

But for Sam, it is not enough to shelter the LRA’s intended victims. Determined to save as many as possible, he leads armed missions deep into enemy territory to retrieve kidnapped children, restoring peace to their lives–and eventually his own. The explosive, real-life tale of a man who has rescued over a thousand orphans from starvation, disease and enslavement, Machine Gun Preacher also stars Michelle Monaghan (Due Date), Kathy Baker (Cold Mountain), Madeline Carroll (Mr. Popper’s Penguins), Academy Award(R) nominated Michael Shannon (Revolutionary Road) and Souleymane Sy Savane (“Damages”).

view post Posted on 2/10/2011, 21:18

Group:
Moderatore globale

:occhilucidi:

riporto il primo che si permette di criticare l'accento di Gerry... -_- <_<

Gerard Butler, who should get his SAG card revoked for his Philly accent alone, plays the real life Sam Childers,

http://www.torontostandard.com/culture-des...ns-burden-redux

Edited by sabrinta - 2/10/2011, 22:41

view post Posted on 3/10/2011, 09:17

Group:
Moderatore globale

qui invece uno che apprezza lo sforzo fatto Gerry per mascherare l'accento scozzese...

Butler does an amazing job of hiding his Scottish accent. He shares the screen with Michelle Monaghan who plays his no-nonsense wife, Lynn. Monaghan plays her strong, able to stand her own ground against her sometimes abusive husband. Kathy Baker is understated as Sam’s mother who never stopped praying for him. In some ways, she is the little old lady we all know, but is stronger than they let on. Madeline Carroll plays Sam’s daughter Paige who struggles with thoughts that her father loves the children in Africa more than herself.

Machine Gun Preacher is difficult to watch at times and is compounded by the fact that is all true and this situation in Africa still exists today. It also challenges the viewer to wonder if they are following their true calling or not.

http://www.examiner.com/christian-pop-cult...nspiring-review

view post Posted on 5/10/2011, 14:19

Group:
Administrator

Una bella recensione che dà al film 4 stelle su 5,della quale voglio citare il passo relativo a gerry:

http://flixchatter.net/2011/10/04/flixchat...e-gun-preacher/

Kudos for Gerard Butler for taking a massive pay-cut to bring Childers’ story to life. He truly embodied the character with his passionate and stirring performance. I’ve always believed he’s a capable and versatile actor, so his dramatic chops here doesn’t exactly surprise me. Most people know he’s perfect for the action-packed scenes, but his interaction with the kids brings out his tender, sensitive side that’s wonderful to watch.

view post Posted on 6/10/2011, 16:03

Group:
Moderatore globale

un paio di buone recensioni,per lo meno nei confronti di Gerry...la prima di un/a giornalista,la seconda di una blogger

Machine Gun Preacher: Gerard Butler gives a fierce, nuanced performance in this action-drama. In this film, based on the life story of Sam Childers - a former junkie who found God, became a missionary and saved orphans from vicious warlords - Butler shows a range and passion he hasn't had much of a chance to exhibit, portraying a man who went from rock bottom to near-mythic hero. The problem is that his admirable work is hobbled by Marc Forster's ("Quantum of Solace") over-the-top direction, which eschews subtlety in favor of manipulation histrionics. Childers goes from being the chief of sinners to a saint, all in the space of a prayer. His friend (Michael Shannon) is the stereotypical Hollywood junkie and his God-fearing wife (Michelle Monaghan) can, of course, do no wrong. The film matures a bit when Childers heads to Sudan to start an orphanage, but Forster only pays lip service to some of the more controversial aspects of Childers' work (i.e. killing in the name of the Lord, and abandoning his wife and child , even if it is in the name of orphans). The tone fluctuates wildly and it's apparent that Forster was unable to smoothly squeeze the inspiring story into a 2-hour narrative. I don't doubt that Childers' story is admirable and worth telling; I wonder, however, if a documentary may have been a better fit.

http://www.sourcenewspapers.com/articles/2...97042006801.txt

Gerard Butler does an outstanding job playing Sam Childers. He portrays him as kind, gentle, but also shows his brutal side when necessary. He is even able to hide his thick Scottish dialect and bring out a heavy midwestern american accent. I’ve always had a fondness for Gerard Butler and his pretty face, and I thought I would be a little pulled into his sea of blue eyes and not be able to focus on the depth of the film. However, I was quite shallow in my assumptions and Gerard’s performance was remarkable, memorable, and brought me to tears about a dozen times.
[...]
Please ignore reviewers suggestions of this movie and go see it. It’s definitely one that won’t leave your thoughts for days and maybe even weeks. 7 days later, I’m still dwelling on it and trying to figure out how this non-traveling girl can help.

http://unexpectedmom.wordpress.com/tag/gerard-butler/

view post Posted on 7/10/2011, 08:59

Group:
Administrator

Un'altra buona recensione,che attribuisce la riuscita del film (o la parte riuscita del film) alla capacità di Gerry di dare profondità al personaggio...

http://www.aurorasentinel.com/email_push/l...1cc4c002e0.html

Posted: Thursday, October 6, 2011 11:45 pm
CHRISTOPHER HARROP, Staff Writer | 0 comments
You can’t blame a good storyteller from embellishing a little now and then.
So when it comes to the real-life story of “Machine Gun Preacher” Sam Childers — the ex-con who raised hell, found Jesus, went to Africa and saved a lot of lives — you know the Hollywood treatment is going to take a few liberties.
Thankfully, the solid performances of Gerard Butler (as Childers) and Michael Shannon (“Revolutionary Road”) as his recovering junkie friend Donnie help ground the more fantastical aspects of Childers’ compelling life and times.
Our introduction to Sam comes as he’s leaving jail. He goes home to find his ex-stripper wife Lynn (Michelle Monaghan) is a born-again Christian; despite being none too pleased by this, Sam will be hard-pressed to not be changed by having his family back and a new life ahead of him.
Shannon and Butler each transform their characters beyond their wild days in brilliant fashion — Sam’s unease sitting in church in a dress shirt before being baptized is simple yet speaks volumes about the rough-edged Childers, who visits north Uganda on a mission trip and finds inspiration there.
“I know it sounds corny, but God spoke to me,” he says after coming home. Having seen the poor conditions faced by the Sudanese, he’s determined to build a church and go back to Africa — this time with boots for the Sudanese liberation army.
The conflict in Africa never overpowers the story, even though it provides striking images of poverty and violence. The film doesn’t shy away from framing the battles as a dispute between the Muslim north and Christian south, but the key to the story is not understanding the religious and geopolitical underpinnings of what’s happening in Africa — it’s understanding the faith Childers has in trying to help those caught in the middle of the fighting.
Thankfully, the story’s focus on Childers (and Butler’s portrayal of him) give “Machine Gun Preacher” a stunning resonance. Sam’s blistering sermons in the church he built underscore the anger and insecurity he brings home from the horrors he’s witnessed and the hypocrisy he confronts from parsimonious businessmen who won’t make the kinds of sacrifices he does.
And for all the good Childers does, the film doesn’t neglect the pain his absence creates back at home. We see the effects through the eyes of Sam’s daughter, Paige (Madeline Carroll), who is caught between the love she has for her father and the stress imposed through his convictions.
Director Marc Forster (“Quantum of Solace,” the upcoming “World War Z”) does an adequate job of effecting the right mood for these actors to sell themselves as real-life characters. The dark realism early on — namely, a raid on a south Sudanese village and, later, a drug house robbery by Sam and Donnie — paves the way for Sam to travel the all-too-familiar road of redemption, as uneasy as it is.
But above all, Butler’s performance gives great depth to “Machine Gun Preacher.” Sam is a man lost in the beginning, and for all the confidence he inspires and all the tough talk he delivers while preaching, he is just as adrift when his plans — in his eyes, the Lord’s work — go awry.
The proper word for it is “deft,” which is not a label I would affix to the dramatic range Butler has shown up to this point. “Machine Gun Preacher” may have been better saved for the documentary treatment if not for this promising turn by Butler.
“Machine Gun Preacher” is rated R for violent content, language, drug use and sexuality. Running time: 123 minutes. Two and a half stars out of four.

view post Posted on 12/10/2011, 14:26

Group:
Administrator

Nob è una recensione... è la locandina inglese,ma sopra vediamo 4 stelle e un paio di commenti sinteticamente positivi:

http://www.mattsmoviereviews.net/movie-pos...n-preacher.html

Mina*
view post Posted on 12/10/2011, 20:00

CITAZIONE (arielcips @ 12/10/2011, 15:26) 
4 stelle e un paio di commenti sinteticamente positivi

Qualcosa di positivo, speriamo bene... :rolleyes:

view post Posted on 22/10/2011, 17:50

Group:
Administrator

Qui abbiamo il lusinghierissimo giudizio di una blogger:

http://glamouriablog.blogspot.com/2011/10/...t.html?spref=fb

FRIDAY, OCTOBER 21, 2011

Machine Gun Preacher:"You Must Not Let Them Take Your Heart!"....
I finally went to see "Machine Gun Preacher"....

Gerard Butler on the set of the movie
For the first 10 minutes, I hated the producer, Gary Safady... I have to admit, this is not my kind of movie.. I would rather watch Disney princesses finding eternal love, or other romantic ones (Crazy Stupid Love, No Strings Attached, Bridesmaids)... I usually like to go to the movies to dream, laugh, snuggle with my friend and eat popcorn... But last night, it wasn't the case!

You have to know, I am born in Lebanon, and I grew up in Beirut during the war... I have seen it all, and I remember it all. I also know that this is when I started writing.... During the war.. It was my way to let everything out!

I have seen dead people on the streets, and I have smelled burnt cadavers.. I know that when you hear the noise of a bomb before it explodes it means it has passed you and you're not in danger anymore... I have seen blood on the stairs in the building I lived in, and heard men screaming because they were being tortured on the 2nd floor (we lived on the 1st floor).... This is why I hate politics, and I don't watch the news, just rarely.... I am done... I had pushed all these memories away... Until last night at the movies... I saw it all over again... I was trying to close my eyes, at the beginning... but then, I really wanted to see!!

Machine Gun Preacher is about the story of how kids are being tortured, forced to kill and fight in the war in Sudan.. It's about the true story of Sam Childers, this person who was a drug addict- going there and saving these kids.. And her, the wife, played by Michelle Monaghan, she was the driving force behind him, "Get off your butt, go and build it again"... So many little amazing details, but I don't want to ruin the movie for you!...

That scene at the church, will he stand up or not? I was praying he would.... His daughter as a little girl, she broke my heart... and then those kids... That kid that always wanted to be with Gerard Butler... The playground... Leaving these kids behind.... Torture!

On the set with producer Gary safady
I loved each and every scene. There wasn't one scene that was not necessary... Not one scene missing! I loved the lighting, and the music, and even the rough images sometimes... This movie will break your heart... Even if you're not willing to help (but I promise you will), it will make you appreciate your life!

And.... For those who love Gerard Butler... It's not the sexy Gerard Butler that you're going to see... But almost "the man of your dream", in a weird way... The man of courage who dared, and after he did, he couldn't go back and let go! There's this conflict about him.. Is the man who's killing the killers a hero or just another criminal? In my eyes, yes he was, a hero... And he played his role so wonderfully, so naturally, he was so true to his character...

Needless to say, I cried for the whole 2 hours.... Every scene made me so emotional!
Learn more about the LRA, and all the atrocities they are doing in Sudan and Uganda. See what's happening to these kids, and please please please, help in any way you could!!!

Edited by sabrinta - 22/10/2011, 19:02

47 replies since 3/9/2011, 13:32   1018 views