Machine gun Preacher - Recensioni

« Older   Newer »
view post Posted on 26/10/2011, 22:03

He's a lion that I am proud to hunt

Group:
Moderatore globale

Altra recensione positiva :D

Machine Gun Preacher finds truth in a tall tale

Machine Gun Preacher is one of those special films where the real story is more fanciful than the Hollywood remake. In a tale about how the horrors of war can destroy the lives of the most vulnerable, it would have been tempting to play up the angle of ridiculousness that the backstory presents. But the creative team behind the movie avoids all the obvious pitfalls to deliver a work that is violent, visceral and haunting.

Gerard Butler plays Sam Childers, a man in a desperate situation; 10 minutes into the movie he’s frantically scrubbing another man’s blood off his shirt and begging for help from his wife Lynn (Michelle Monaghan). A former stripper, Lynn tries to save Sam the same way she herself found a different path: discovery of faith and a renewed belief in God. With her help, Sam soon puts away his violent tendencies and drug habits, builds his own church and starts up a ministry for former sinners like himself.

With his new desire to make a difference, Childers takes a guest pastor up on his offer to accompany him to Uganda. Confronted by the realities of the atrocities inflicted on innocent children by the Lord’s Resistance Army, Childers resolves to help liberate the country’s child soldiers by whatever means necessary — including force. But eventually, the horrors of the war and the deterioration of his family life begin to weigh him down and he finds his faith, funds and will to go on waning.

The great strength of Machine Gun Preacher is also its greatest weakness: the fact that it’s a true story. As Childers wrestles an uncaring public turning a blind eye to the plight of the Ugandans, his own world is also crumbling —an emotionally gripping combination that makes his subsequent shoot-em-up sequences battling the Lord’s Resistance Army seem out of place. The sudden foray into action hero tropes seems farcical and unrealistic, and the more violent segments feel separate from the emotional parts of the movie. The fact that these elements are actually part of the film’s true story — not just scripted in to make the production more appealing — is almost impossible to believe.

Similarly, Butler’s larger-than-life character is a genuine reflection of the real Sam Childers, a man who built a heavily fortified orphanage in the middle of a war zone and led army units on battles to retrieve kidnapped children. It’s not a Hollywood reimagining or script that got punched up to have more action in the hopes of grabbing an audience — it’s a faithful translation of source material that’s almost too wild to believe.

Machine Gun Preacher may seem ridiculous, but it’s a well-crafted story worth telling. The movie batters the audience down with the sense of futility in the weight of Sam’s struggle, but it also delivers an important message: some battles need to be fought, even if the collateral damage might be to our very soul.

http://thegatewayonline.ca/article/view/ma..._in_a_tall_tale

view post Posted on 3/11/2011, 12:23

Group:
Administrator

Una recensione che stronca la recitazione di Gerry... debbo dire che questo tipo davvero non capisce niente!!! tra l'altro dire che Gerry sarebbe in grado di recitare bene,ma non lo fa...mi sembra una assoluta contraddizione...

http://www.lutontoday.co.uk/news/blogs/nei...11_11_1_3207077

Machine Gun Preacher

When will Gerard Butler act in a movie? Any guesses? Anyone know when he will look like he is making any kind of effort at inhabiting a character?

I am sure he is capable of it. But again, in this disappointing turn from normally reliable director Marc Forster (Finding Neverland) he is just a gruff, two-dimensional brooder and the schtick is getting old.

The film tells the story of a former drug-dealing biker who finds God and becomes a missionary helping Sudanese children who have become embroiled in militia violence.

You couldn’t make it up, and apparently they haven’t as it is based on a true story.

I’m sure the original man it’s based on is happy, aesthetically, that Gerard Butler played him, but as the years pass he may have wished for someone a little more inclined to act, or try.

gemini78
view post Posted on 3/11/2011, 12:25

CITAZIONE
he is making any kind of effort at inhabiting a character?

A me sembra che lo faccia sempre!

CITAZIONE
he is just a gruff, two-dimensional brooder

Magari è il personaggio che è costruito male...

view post Posted on 4/11/2011, 11:00

Group:
Moderatore globale

bah...certi sputano sentenze e basta <_<
Qui ce n'è un altro che ce l'ha con Gerry...non si sarebbe impegnato abbastanza -_-

Butler is not right man for preacher role

ONE man can make a difference in Marc Forster's inspirational true story, based on a screenplay by Jason Keller.

Unfortunately, that man isn't Gerard Butler, whose portrayal of thug-turned-guerrilla humanitarian Sam Childers seems to have one eye on awards consideration when the actor should have kept both focused on an emotionally rich performance.

In truth, Keller's overlong screenplay does Butler few favours, failing to empathise with the lead character as he abandons his family to wage a one-man war in the Sudan when he has pressing responsibilities closer to home.

Nor does it help that while we admire Childers for his self-sacrifice and bravery, we don't fully understand the reasons for his crusade or see his personal anguish reflected on the big screen.

http://www.thisisstaffordshire.co.uk/Butle...tail/story.html

view post Posted on 4/11/2011, 16:02

Group:
Administrator

solleviamo le quotazioni:qui gerry viene definito 'coinvolto,persino carismatico.'sempre credibile'.. e il film becca tre stelline!

www.thisislondon.co.uk/film/review-...her---review.do

Dir: Marc Forster.
Cast: Souleymane Sy Savane, Madeline Carroll, Michelle Monaghan, Corey Large, Michael Shannon, Gerard Butler, Kathy Baker
Year: 2011.
Duration: 129mins

Machine Gun Preacher - review

Muscular Christianity: Sam Childers (Gerald Butler) sets off to defend his orphanage from a vicious rebel militia

By David Sexton
4 Nov 2011

Sam Childers is a former criminal, alcoholic and addict from Pennsylvania who, in 1992, just before he turned 30, found God at a church meeting and turned his life around.

In 1998, he went with a mission group to work in Southern Sudan and saw a child killed by a landmine. He pledged himself to helping the people of this war-ravaged country. On a second visit, while running a mobile clinic, he was told by God to build an orphanage in the village of Nimule on the Ugandan border. He sold his construction business back home and created The Children's Village, run by his organisation, Angels of East Africa.

It is in an area where the savage rebel militia, the Lord's Resistance Army, operates, kidnapping children to become sex slaves and child soldiers, murdering villagers in their thousands. In his former life as a Hell's Angel gang member, Childers had been a "Shotgunner", an armed guard for drug dealers. Now he took to defending his orphanage with an AK-47 - and then going on aggressive raids against the LRA to rescue children from them. Thirteen years on, his orphanage, the largest in Southern Sudan, currently houses several hundred children.

In 2009, Childers published a memoir, Another Man's War. Now, with his co-operation, his story has been made into this film, starring tall, soulful brute Gerard Butler as Childers, sexy Michelle Monaghan as his former stripper wife Lynn, and Michael Shannon as Donnie, a composite figure representing his former biker pals.

The movie was shot with South Africa standing in for Sudan and Detroit for Pennsylvania. Its director is Marc Forster, whose previous films include Finding Neverland, The Kite Runner and, most recently, the hyperactive James Bond outing, Quantum of Solace, and he has made Machine Gun Preacher look like a full-scale action movie, not a quasi-documentary, even though it's photographed mainly with available light.

Childers has expressed his satisfaction with the result, saying indeed he's watched it four times and cried every time. "I don't want people walking out of the theatre thinking the film is about Sammy Childers. The movie's about you. And mostly everyone who walks out of the theatre is thinking 'I'm not doing enough. I want to do more'. That's what the movie's all about." So it's a fundraiser, a call to arms.

Gerard Butler is involving, even charismatic, always plausible as a man of contained and then uncontained violence, from his first words, as he leaves jail - "you all go fuck yourselves now" - to the point where, furiously preaching to his flock back home, he tells them: "God don't want sheep - he wants wolves to fight his fight; men and women with teeth to tear at the evil out there."

Childers himself says: "It's hard for me to watch the first part of the movie because it tells who I was, and I just thank God I'm not that person today." But he is that person, using that violence differently - as the film shows, to its credit.

Where Machine Gun Preacher works less well is as a sustained and connected adventure. Picking out key scenes from a real-life story that runs over a period of years, it feels more like a collection of set pieces, illustrations almost.

When the orphanage is attacked at night by LRA bandits there's a big battle sequence, but just when it seems they must all be overrun and slaughtered, the scene stops. When it picks up next morning, there's no explanation of how they survived.

The central story, not being generated by a writer with an entirely free hand, proceeds inexorably along the rails of its real-life source. Such major events as setting up a successful construction company, buying a big house and building a new church happen just like that. Every time Childers sets off to rescue children, he succeeds - and we see this once too often. Other scenes are soupy. When he's feeling desperate, Childers is brought back from the brink by a boy whom he has rescued. Tormented and silent until then, the child wisely counsels: "If we allow ourselves to be full of hate, then they've won - you must not let them take your heart."

The way Childers's story is delivered primarily as his own struggle for redemption allows for no broader perspective on the violence raging in this part of Africa. We're told at one point, "the Muslim north has been killing the Christians in the south for many years", but that's about as far as it goes. It's true that the Lord's Resistance Army, which has a demented ideology somehow combining "traditional African religion", witchcraft, Christianity and nationalism under a rule of terror, is not well understood by anybody. But here it is just the devil.

With Childers dedicated to rescuing only innocent children, including those already forcibly conscripted into the LRA, the need for any more extended understanding of what is going on in this part of Africa is sidestepped. As is the dodgy conclusion that only a white outsider can effectively help in this mess.

Don't leave before the final credits have rolled, though. Suddenly, we see cameo footage of the real Childers, firing a pump action shotgun. He's shorter, fatter, older and less handsome than Butler, of course - but he has great presence, nonetheless. Perhaps the film should have been a regular documentary, after all? Even though Gerard Butler would then have been robbed of his dream role.

Edited by sabrinta - 4/11/2011, 16:21

view post Posted on 14/11/2011, 11:31

Group:
Moderatore globale

nuova recensione dal giornale universitario di Oxford,il tizio ha visto bene Gerry come attore ma non è convinto della riuscita del film

Machine Gun Preacher: A decent preacher feature

As any sporting coach will tell you, it is not the kid who futilely tries his hardest that aggravates him the most. No, that honor – or lack, thereof – falls to the child who has the potential to go far, but lacks the desire to give his all to get there. Exhibit A: Gerard Butler, an incredibly charismatic, rugged actor who had fallen into the trend of playing horribly-received, gimmicky, oft-misogynistic male leads in romantic comedies. If nothing else, seeing him try to break out of that mold is indeed a welcome sight.

Based off a true story that further proves reality stranger than fiction, Machine Gun Preacher portrays Butler as an ex-convict, drug-using biker gang member named Sam Childers, who finds Christ and attempts to turn his life and family around through building a career in construction. Soon after, he builds a fellowship church for junkies and other tormented-past “sinners”, while also feeling moved to establish an orphanage for Sudanese children. Watching Butler slowly morph into a “white preacher” of sorts on screen, I am inclined to agree with the sentiment that he’s never been better. Bouncing in persona from selfish scumbag to world-weary idealist to intense messenger of hope, he displays a consistent charisma that explains his sustained popularity and bodes well for his future. However, this film has me torn for different reasons, which I will explain.

To be fair, his efforts are helped by a solid supporting cast, with Michelle Monaghan and Michael Shannon providing grounding at home, and Souleymane Sy Savane serving as his seasoned companion Deng in the worst moments in Africa. And I do appreciate the way this story is directed by Marc Forster (of Quantum of Solace fame), for he does not pull any punches in showing how brutal and heinous the effects of the Lord’s Resistance Army really are – if you don’t shed some tears, see a doctor for a lack of empathy. Put bluntly, the elements are right…but the delivery is very wrong.

The screenplay spends the first 30 minutes making Butler near-unlikable in his actions, then making him almost instantly into a hard-core near-saint (the symbolism is thick enough to be cut with a knife). Normally, this wouldn’t be such a bad thing, but as a result, the film doesn’t seem to know what its central conflict should be. If I didn’t know better, it almost seems like the central conflicts of this man’s story (e.g. losing touch with family, inner rage) were glossed over as often as possible for the sake of solely focusing on his noble acts – an act that screams “idol worship” and makes the plot emotionally distant. Shoehorning an out-of-nowhere conflict in the final 15 minutes does not help matters. Nevertheless, in spite of its shoddy execution, its aim was in the right place. So following Sam Childers’s cue, I will try to focus on the best it has to offer – its message of redemption through charity.

3 stars

http://oxfordstudent.com/2011/11/14/machin...eacher-feature/

simcio
view post Posted on 16/11/2011, 09:50

Altro articolo
www.andycarrington.co.uk/#/machine-gun-preacher/4557519883

Judging by the title, you'd be forgiven in thinking this was some cheesy, Steven-Seagal-type b-movie with plenty of beatdowns and not a lot of logic. A closer look at Machine Gun Preacher, however, sees it mixing what seems almost like an obsessive on-screen war fantasy with a real-life tragedy, and for the most part it manages to depict the complexities of humanity's moral behaviour in an incredibly gripping manner.

Perhaps rather surprisingly to viewers who've never heard of Sam Childers -- a born-again missionary, whom the film is based upon -- Machine Gun Preacher has just as much heart as it does balls in its telling of an ongoing war in Southern Sudan. Cries of an "urban Rambo" are perhaps a little premature in summing up the film; what we have here is a fast-moving, action-filled biopic, adapted from the memoirs of an already larger-than-life character, but with the added emotional intensity of a fine Gerard Butler performance and visual detail of some believable, broken-down surroundings.

Admittedly, I didn’t know who Sam Childers was or what he did (is there a clue in his surname?), but the "half-saint, half-psychopath" angle on his story admittedly got me intrigued upon this film's release. Childers' story begins with him been released from prison and immediately partaking in drugs and alcohol prior to having a violent confrontation with a hitchhiker. Soon after, his wife suggests that he should embrace the values of the Christian church and leave his reckless way of life behind him. Reluctantly, Sam goes along, ends up submitting and accepting himself to Jesus, and then takes inspiration to use his skills as a construction worker and build a church in his own town, as well as an orphanage in Sudan.

Adapted from Another Man's War, this is a struggle of one man, his redemption and the children he wishes to protect, rather a political movie it might've been. Because of such, the sub-theme of racism, as well as background details the terrorist organisation Childers is fighting against, are largely glossed over here. Sam becomes a born-again Christian, and, naturally, there are moments when he feels the need to preach about his sins and repentance, but the main reason why I really enjoyed this movie was due to it not been overrun with sanctimony.

Sympathy, it seems, the screenwriters and Childers (himself) do not want, and such is why the movie is so relentless in portraying Sam's defence of the Sudanese children. Pissed off that the terrorists keep on killing as he hangs back within the confinement of the orphanage, he is later seen taking a no-holds-barred approach with a RPG on his shoulder in the middle of a warzone. It really is intense stuff, breaking all breaking all preconceptions about morality and religion.

Because of such, it's perhaps easy to see why critics and audiences are completely divided about Machine Gun Preacher. Whether or not you agree with the religious aspect of the film and the violent liberation, Sam Childers is still a fascinating character, who is made all the more believable thanks to Gerard Butler's very impressive performance. Whether he is stone-faced in battle, or seen with a genuine passion in his eyes as he grovels in his own town for extra money to fund his quest, Butler makes Childers' see-saw mentality between the bad and good seem incredibly believable.

Strong supporting performances from Michael Shannon as a recovering heroin addict, and Michelle Monaghan and Madeline Carroll as wife and daughter to Sam, certainly help matters, as well; as does Marc Forster's "overlapping scene" approach, which represents the ongoing conflict. I don't consider myself a religious person (perhaps in the "traditional" sense), but I really felt the tensions between the main character, other people and the surroundings throughout the duration of this movie.

There perhaps needed to be background on what Childers' enemy (The Lord's Resistance Army) is fighting for, for this to be a great film, rather than just a good one; it was also bit unbelievable to see how an ex-con, so soon out of jail, was able to get a job and gain money to go to Sudan so quickly. Because of the script's sharp turns and Forster favouring a more kinetic approach, the wider perspective on things has probably been saved for a documentary. Still, Machine Gun Preacher is immensely engaging as it is.

In truth, I've been waiting a good few months to see a film that manages to balance violence and human emotion so well that it leaves a lingering effect. I left the cinema feeling fulfilled as well as traumatised by a personal story that is very much inspirational as it a part of reality in the modern day. Granted, there are problems with the film and it definitely doesn't cater for everyone's tastes, but as a spectacle and character-driven drama, it certainly succeeds with me.

Edited by sabrinta - 16/11/2011, 11:10

view post Posted on 19/1/2012, 20:02

Group:
Administrator

Una lunga recensione,non negativa(dà al film 3 stelle,infine) nella quale però si batte molto sull'idea di 'una grande occasione mancata'...

http://mediaupdate.co.za/?IDStory=44380

The missed opportunity that is Machine Gun Preacher
Published: 18 January 2012
It’s that time again ... time for the Americans to save the Africans from themselves.

Article Tools:

By Marie Straub

I admit, the above was at least partly my expectation when I went to watch Machine Gun Preacher. I got less than, more than and exactly what I expected. As horribly contradictory as that sounds, it’s true, but perhaps I should begin by breaking down what those expectations were. I expected the "horrors" of Africa to be on display (they were). I expected said "horrors" to face the wrath of Gerard Butler with a mullet in a biker jacket, with some charismatic Jesus on the side (right again). This, I figured, would in all likelihood be an "America, fuck yeah!" movie, without any of the irony of Team America: World Police (OK, here I was a little off – there was no irony, but there wasn’t quite the "America, fuck yeah!" either). I expected to be highly annoyed, but I was neither spot on nor pleasantly surprised. There was, at least to some degree, an effort to engage with the "horrors" of Africa they had on display, rather than allowing them to exist merely so that an American hero could rise. This, I suppose, is an improvement. That improvement could, in fact, have been driven home in a complex and fascinating film if the filmmakers hadn’t missed the moral ambiguity that really should have been at the heart of this story, but hey, at least they tried to hit it, right? That’s pretty much the best recommendation you can give this film – a nice try – but let’s take a closer look.

Somewhere in South Sudan, a young boy is being forced to kill his mother and join the ranks of Joseph Kony’s Lord’s Resistance Army (LRA). It’s not pretty. Meanwhile, across the world in Pennsylvania, Sam Childers (Butler) is a drug addict fresh out of jail (and telling the police to go fuck themselves as he leaves). He’s the kind of guy who, when he gets back to his trailer (of course he lives in a trailer), is angry when he finds out that his wife (Michelle Monaghan) has stopped stripping and insists she gets herself back on the pole. That’s not going to happen, however, as she has gotten clean and found Jesus. Sam is not happy, in fact he heads out to get his first fix, and later to rob a crack house with his addict buddy Donnie (Michael Shannon). When a random hitchhiker pulls a knife on the two of them, Sam will, in a fit of rage, not just overpower him, but also stab him to within an inch of his life. When he arrives home – partly wasted and covered in blood – he will cry out to his wife for help. She will take him to church, assuring him that no one cares if he has good shoes or not, and when he rises from the baptism water, everything will be different. For one, it will start him on a path that will lead him to that boy in South Sudan.

Does all of this sound a bit ... I don’t know, for the lack of a better word – ‘hokey’? That’s because it is. Charismatic churches are so often the butt of jokes, even among church-going folk, that it’s unsurprising that filming sequences of this type in a way that made them seem credible was always going to be difficult. But difficult is not impossible. The truth is, church has never looked so unattractive or uncompelling, but then, neither has Gerard Butler. While Butler plays the angry violent addict and the angry warrior saving children on either side of this film well, his weepy bloody turnaround is about as convincing as his finding Jesus (by which I mean ‘not at all’). The tough stuff in between is, as it turns out, above his capabilities and it’s a stumbling block the film never recovers from. But then, the script doesn’t help either. Covering a number of years – from Sam’s release from prison to his crime-filled days, his turnaround, his decision to build a church for outcasts in America, how he ended up preaching, his decision to go to Sudan, deciding to join the fight there, being pushed to the very brink, and how he made his way back again – the film is ultimately a mundane exercise in laying out the events of Sam’s life one after the other. It feels like an interview with the guy (this film is based on the real Sam Childers, after all) cut-and-pasted on to screen. His motivations are never credibly presented as he goes from "I think I'll build a church for outcasts" to "I think I'll go to Sudan" without ever seeming compelled in his decisions.

The scriptwriter, Jason Keller, has not made something of Sam’s story and the director, Marc Forster, has failed to take a stance on it where one is sorely needed – the scenes in church seem filmed by someone who doesn’t believe in them but is not brave enough to let his film make that assertion. Ask any artist, judging your subject matter is always going to be problematic. Despite this, and this is the one credit we must give Butler, there are a few moments when he manages to pull his performance back from the brink of the unbelievable – one preaching session in which he adamantly declares that “God doesn’t only call the good” being a case in point – but for the most part, it is clear that with this role he has bitten off far more than he can chew (I say this as something of a fan of much of his previous work).

As the credits roll, footage of the real Sam Childers is screened, including a moment in which he asks if your own child were kidnapped and he could bring it back to you, whether you would care about what methods he used to do so. Right there is what should have been the heart of this film. Sam Childers starts out an angry violent man hiding in drugs and ends up a man channelling his anger and violence towards warlords in order to save children in the name of God. Does that make his violence and seemingly continued inability to contain his rage OK, just because it is now in a new setting? Is it justifiable even? Could you make the argument that he is really called by God? There’s enough there to possibly make a few lukewarm atheists ask the question and there is, in the story of Sam Childers, a film worth making and watching. Unfortunately, this is not the film that was made. There are a few spare moments when they dare to tread on this ground, but mostly Forster tip-toes around them and Keller seems to have missed them altogether. It’s disappointing work from Forster who has given us such films as Monster’s Ball, Finding Neverland and Stranger Than Fiction.

It’s not especially bad, if you’re a softie like me you’ll even cry in parts, but it’s not especially good either. Mostly, I was disappointed by what could have been – three stars at a push

Mina*
view post Posted on 19/1/2012, 21:40

Ne parlano bene, ma è un peccato che non l'abbiano distribuito a dovere :(

view post Posted on 23/1/2012, 16:42

Group:
Administrator

Un'altra recensione breve che assegna la film 3 stelline:

http://www.timeslive.co.za/entertainment/m...ne-gun-preacher

view post Posted on 3/2/2012, 14:57

Group:
Administrator

Un recensione giapponese che dà al film ben 4 stelle su 5:

'Machine Gun Preacher'
The man who hoed his row (and then some)

By KAORI SHOJI
'Machine Gun Preacher" is extraordinary on two levels: First, it's based on a true story about a man who went from a life of violent crime and drug addiction to building an orphanage in war-torn Sudan. And second, he did it all without looking at a computer screen, ever.

Machine Gun Preacher Rating: (4 out of 5)

Okay, maybe the real Sam Childers tweets and scrolls an iPhone once in a while. But in "Machine Gun Preacher," Childers — as portrayed by Gerard Butler — behaves as though his fingers have never tapped on a keyboard and the only thing the word Mac has ever conjured for him is a burger. Hairy and sweaty and sporting facial pores the size of saucers, Butler's Childers is probably listed under "testosterone" in the dictionary. He's an ape, but a wonderfully courageous and inspiring one.

And who better to play him than Hollywood's go-to guy for sheer, undiluted maleness: Gerard "300" Butler? You look at the man and you want to run for cover, lest he come chasing after you with those hammy fists, roaring some indecipherable abuse and possibly belching at the same time.

Sure, Butler has starred in gentlemanly roles before ("Nim's Island" anyone?) and has a sizable number of rom-coms under his belt ("The Bounty Hunter," "The Ugly Truth"), but truth be told, he's best when in full-throttle ape mode, with no love relationships to hinder his path, no digital device to cloud his mind and preferably as little clothing as possible. In "Machine Gun Preacher," his outfit consists mainly of tank tops and cargoes. Rambo style.

Before his African stint, Childers was a biker/crack addict/alcoholic bum in the American Deep South, just out of prison and already yelling at his wife, Lynn (Michelle Monaghan). He's mad because in his absence Lynn started going to church and quit her job as a stripper, and she now has no cash to buy his heroin. Plus, his young daughter, Paige (Madeline Carroll) is scared to death of his fuming, hulking frame and won't go near him.

Pretty soon, Sam is sitting on the toilet in a bar shooting up, then he's robbing/knifing a passerby and beating a couple of guys to a pulp (not necessarily in that sequence). Talk about a guy who wastes no time.

The story doesn't linger on what a god-awful A-hole Childers is, mainly because his bad, bad back-story is too hefty to pack into a mere two hours. Director Marc Forster moves at the speed of light: Sam receives a full-immersion baptism, finds God, hugs Lynn and tells her he's gonna change. This isn't too difficult, as Sam is a contractor and builder and there are plenty of jobs around for muscle-bound born-again Christians such as himself.

But in the late 1990s, after he builds a new house for the family and reconciles with Paige, Sam learns of the ongoing Second Sudanese Civil War and is stirred to action. A man of few words, he mutters, "I reckon those people need all the help they can get," and boards a plane.

Sam seems to have his work cut out for him. Holding no truck with red tape and refusing to abide by the rules, he gets each job done the violent way, and then takes his hoe to another row, and another. In a matter of months, he's become his own one-man army, saving orphans in Uganda and Sudan while warding off blows from the kidnapping, human-trafficking, genocidal Lord's Resistance Army.

Forster knows how to build powerful drama on the shoulders of desperate men (see "Quantum of Solace," "The Kite Runner" and "Monster's Ball"), and he seems to have no qualms or fear about drawing their flaws and thorned/craggy edges. The character of Sam is intriguing because he deploys his brutish nature and dark, ungovernable guilt complex to full advantage in helping others. He finds plenty of critics who call him a glory-seeking hypocrite. He runs into a whole lot of resistance when trying to enlist aid from his fellow white men.

None of this dents his armor, and he continues to work like someone who has about two hours to redeem himself before falling headlong into the flames of hell. Every single minute counts. Every hour spent not doing something for the orphans is an hour wasted. Back home, Lynn and Paige feel alienated and Sam's congregation clamor for attention. But in Africa, the work never lets up. Every day brings news of some unspeakable atrocity, coupled with a plea for immediate help.

The film is as rough-hewn and bitter on the palate as its hero, but the quality of filmmaking is ultimately beside the point. That Sam Childers really exists is what counts. And for that, one can only be grateful.

view post Posted on 11/3/2012, 14:26

Group:
Moderatore globale

Una recensione dallo Zambia che elogia il film e Gerry ma che puntualizza due difetti sui quali sono anche daccordo
http://www.lusakatimes.com/2012/03/11/movi...e-gun-preacher/

When ex-biker-gang member Sam Childers (Butler) makes the life-changing decision to go to East Africa to help repair homes destroyed by civil war, he is outraged by the unspeakable horrors faced by the region’s vulnerable populace, especially the children. Ignoring the warnings of more experienced aide workers, Sam breaks ground for an orphanage where it’s most needed-in the middle of territory controlled by the brutal Lord’s Resistance Army (LRA), a renegade militia that forces youngsters to become soldiers before they even reach their teens. But for Sam, it is not enough to shelter the LRA’s intended victims. Determined to save as many as possible, he leads armed missions deep into enemy territory to retrieve kidnapped children, restoring peace to their lives-and eventually his own.

PROS
-Gerard Butler gives one of his best performance of his career showing his power, passion, emotion and strength.
-Very gripping story line .

CONS
-Some of parts seemed to fast forward without proper explanation.
-It lacks balance . we never discover what Childers’ enemies are fighting for, or much about the background of the conflict.

CONCLUSION
It is based on a true story about one man trying to make difference, it is a heartbreaking, inspiring and action-packed drama. It will leave you feeling like you need to do more to help people.

“If we allow ourselves to be full of hate, then they’ve won. We must not allow them to take our hearts.”

RATING
4 out of 5

gemini78
view post Posted on 19/3/2012, 13:15

Un'altra recensione che conclude addirittura dicendo:

Butler provides a performance that echoes that of Liam Neeson in Schindler’s List, and as he spirals into that darkness of material value against human life the films grim reality settles in.

Machine Gun Preacher
Posted on March 19, 2012 by steve

Gerard Butler is an actor around at the moment that has been typecast with online memes involving deep trenches and fierce kicking. But despite this, he has been a part of some stunning films in the last couple of years, whether it’s as a Law Abiding Citizen or even a vocally gifted Phantom, Gerard Butler seems to have the curious ability to surprise people whatever he’s in and Machine Gun Preacher is no exception.

Based on a true story, Machine Gun Preacher tells the gritty tale of Sam Childers an Ex-Convict just released from prison to find his life turned upside down. His Former-Stripper Girlfriend has embraced God and following a night of his old ways, starting with hard drug use and ending in horrific violence, he comes to the realization (while washing the blood from his biker shirt) that he needs to change too.

After cleaning himself up (in every sense of the word) he decides to mission to Africa, where he can put his talents as a construction worker to use and help clear up some of the destruction that has befallen the war torn country. In venturing North further then recommended in the Tourists Guide he witnesses carnage and tragedy that makes his own back story seem like an episode of Sesame Street.

Following his traumatic time in Africa, he returns home and starts making plans for building an orphanage in Sudan. This quest puts him between the orphan children of Sudan and the Army who is set on destruction. The story unfolds around Childers’ juggling between his lives at home with his family in America, and the one to get enough money together to keep his Orphanage open in Sudan. This is where Butler comes into his element, taking up arms against the Soldiers who are threatening not only his life but also the lives of the children.

This is however where the film can get a little preachy, yeah I know what did I expect, but taking the balance between ‘my life has turned around because’ and ‘give me all your money – god says so’ is paper thin, and while moments are too ‘religious’ for my tastes, the remainder of the film balances out well with Butler driving it from the front.

Machine Gun Preacher is by no means a tame film, it displays the violence and darkness of Sam Childers life in not only a realistic way but also an ‘unshielded’ way, it doesn’t shy away from his brutal history and the shocking situation he discovers in Africa. For this, the film remains dramatic and powerful and Butler provides a well thought out and powerful performance unlike anything he has done.

The story is moving and touching in ways I didn’t quite expect from a title with ‘Machine Gun’ in the title. Butler provides a performance that echoes that of Liam Neeson in Schindler’s List, and as he spirals into that darkness of material value against human life the films grim reality settles in.

http://screen22.co.uk/2012/03/machine-gun-...rce=twitterfeed

Monika.
view post Posted on 19/3/2012, 16:22

CITAZIONE (gemini78 @ 19/3/2012, 13:15) 

Butler provides a performance that echoes that of Liam Neeson in Schindler’s List, and as he spirals into that darkness of material value against human life the films grim reality settles in.

Cioè, lo stanno paragonando a Liam? :woot: Sarebbe ora che si parlasse di cose serie e non sempre e solo di gossip.... E in Italia? :bash:

Edited by sabrinta - 19/3/2012, 17:00

Mina*
view post Posted on 19/3/2012, 17:32

CITAZIONE (gemini78 @ 19/3/2012, 13:15) 

Avendolo visto posso dire che il giornalista ha perfettamente ragione, l'interpretazione di Gerry è superlativa!

47 replies since 3/9/2011, 13:32   1018 views