Chasing Mavericks - articoli e interviste

« Older   Newer »
jiujiu
view post Posted on 21/12/2011, 12:45

http://www.style.it/star/gossip-news/2011/...--sul-surf.aspx ma quel QUASI MORTALE tra parentesi???? :o: qua sembra quasi che sia colpa sua se le onde lo hanno investito!

view post Posted on 21/12/2011, 14:22

He's a lion that I am proud to hunt

Group:
Moderatore globale

vabbè gli italiani come al solito hanno tradotto il primo articolo uscito e si sono limitati a questo...traendo conclusioni evitabili se si fossero informati bene

Mina*
view post Posted on 21/12/2011, 15:50

Ha rischiato molto :(

iam.what.iam
view post Posted on 5/1/2012, 19:52

Quello è un tratto di mare pericoloso dove sono ahimè deceduti surfisti molto esperti, e sono dell'idea che con il mare e con la montagna non si scherza mai...
Non ci si improvvisa surfer in pochi giorni di "ammollo", il mare è imprevedibile e doveva usare lo stuntman..spero che abbia imparato per la prossima volta surfing

mariangela4
view post Posted on 5/1/2012, 20:32

:( la prox volta sta attento.....

gemini78
view post Posted on 6/1/2012, 19:30

Dal forum delle Wo ( e dal programma Graham Norton show)

He talks in detail about the surfing accident. It was as bad as we thought it was and the papers made it to be. He actually becomes emotional while talking about it. It was a close call and we have to thank God for getting him out of this hairy situation. He said he was hoping to be back tomorrow to catch the really big waves. Of course they are not allowing him to go back there but I guess he wants to at least see those Mavericks! It wasn't clear if he would actually manage to leave tomorrow though.

Ginevraa
view post Posted on 3/3/2012, 08:25

Nuovo articolo( con nuove foto che potete vedere qui :drool: :drool: :drool: )

RIDERS ON THE STORM

Riders on the Storm
By ABBY AGUIRRE
Photographs by THOMAS CAMPBELL

It is an almost inviolable rule that Hollywood attempts at surf movies are not received well by surfers. Part of it has to do with a studio tendency toward surf tropes and clichés (“Cowabunga!” “Hang Ten!”). More of it has to do with the nature of the sport itself: it breeds localism. Not just the xenophobic, occasionally violent expressions of localism that enforce the pecking order, but, more prevalent, a fierce love of place. To learn the personality of a particular wave is to become intimate with the contours of a landscape, to map that landscape and make it yours. Surfers will say that the character of a break influences the local culture. In other words, a filmmaker who wishes to get a surf spot right by its locals has his work cut out for him.

It was with this in mind that the team behind “Of Men and Mavericks,” due out this fall, went to rather prodigious lengths to make their film anthropologically correct. Directed by Curtis Hanson (“8 Mile,” “L.A. Confidential”), the biopic tells the story of Jay Moriarty, a surfer who helped put Maverick’s — an enormous break a half-mile offshore near Santa Cruz, Calif. — on the map when, in 1995, a photograph of him wiping out in a 30-foot swell made the cover of Surfer magazine. He was 16. Though he died young, in 2001, Moriarty remains the spot’s most celebrated stylist, the standard by which all performances at Maverick’s are judged.

To get Maverick’s right meant a few things. It meant that many of the surfboards had to be guns, which are boards designed to be ridden in very big waves, by Bob Pearson, the renowned Santa Cruz shaper who made Moriarty’s boards. (Pearson shaped 173 boards for the production.) It meant that the wet suits had to be by O’Neill, the venerable Santa Cruz company, and full length and extra-thick, as the water there is cold, especially in December, when Maverick’s is at its biggest. Onshore, it meant that the clothes had to be inexpensive work wear (Levi’s, Dickies, Carhartt) and, because the film focuses on the early ’90s, oversize. For Sophie de Rakoff, the film’s costume designer, this meant resisting any temptation to make the silhouettes more current (read: fitted). That period was “not an attractive time for casual clothes,” she says. It also meant that a host of surf stars, like Dan Malloy, Greg Long and Grant Washburn, had to be enlisted to help with everything from training the actors to stunt surfing. “I can’t think of a prominent big-wave surfer from the area who wasn’t involved in some capacity,” says Brandon Hooper, one of the film’s screenwriters and producers. “You’ve got to nail it.”

Surfing Maverick’s is a different kind of activity than, say, the comparatively casual affair of riding a long board at Malibu. If you misjudge your timing, or if you drop in with anything less than full commitment, and especially if you panic, you may not make it out. The script therefore centers a great deal on the relationship between Moriarty, played by Jonny Weston, and his mentor, Rick “Frosty” Hesson, played by Gerard Butler. Under Hesson’s tutelage, Moriarty studied Maverick’s, drawing diagrams of the reef at low tide and even writing essays to train his mind. He also trained physically, paddling long distances and, to prepare his body for the dreaded multiple-wave hold-down, free-diving. Tragically, this is how Moriarty died — not out at Maverick’s but diving alone in the Maldives, 50 feet below the water’s surface, practicing holding his breath.

www.nytimes.com/interactive/2012/03...nteractive.html

Edited by sabrinta - 4/3/2012, 01:34

Mina*
view post Posted on 3/4/2012, 20:10

In questa intervista Jeff Clark parla di surf e dell'incidente capitato a Gerry. Posto solo il pezzo che lo riguarda.

Jeff Clark Talks Surfing Maverick’s And Gerard Butler In ‘Of Men And Mavericks’

In 2011, the feature film “Of Men and Mavericks” began shooting in and around Mavericks with Hollywood star Gerard Butler and Jeff Clark as a consultant.

“I drove a boat with half a million dollars worth of camera gear and equipment in it. And we had waves spitting on us and whitewater coming up to the edge of the boat – from 40 foot waves. Just as tight and as good of shots you can get. I’m really excited to see this.”

Butler was famously hospitalized during the shooting after an accident in the water – an accident that Jeff Clark was present for.

“I love Gerard [Butler]. He wanted to give it the authenticity that this film deserves. So he tried to do and did a lot of his own wave scenes. And they’re doing a paddle in scene by the rocks and I’ve got a boat with 6 people on it and I hear ‘Outside!’ and everyone starts whistling. This was the biggest set of the day. Get to deep water as quick as you can.”

Clark continued, “So I’m making a u-turn heading for the channel and I look inside and these guys they got to get out of there. They are padding as hard as they can for deep water and this thing catches them all. It was heavy. And for Gerard having not ever delt with a 20 wall of whitewater. I meen the wave was bigger than that – i mean – a lot bigger. He’s getting run over by this wave and the next one.”

“Later, Zach Wormhoudt, one of our seasoned veteran and competitors and finalists, said it was on of the top ten worst hall downs he’s ever had out there. And Gerard went through the wachine machine with him. I gotta hand it to him.”

http://radioalice.radio.com/2012/03/27/jef...-and-mavericks/

gemini78
view post Posted on 28/8/2012, 11:29

Gerard Butler: 'Chasing Mavericks was a passion project for me'

Gerard Butler has said that his new film Chasing Mavericks was a "passion project".

The actor, who also produces the surfing film, revealed that he wanted to become more involved in Chasing Mavericks as he felt so moved by the "emotional and inspiring" story.

"I love to be able to produce, especially if it's a project that you really believe in, and this was very much a passion project for me. When you're producing, you have a chance to get even more involved and have more of a say in the creative process at all levels actually, that's what got me about it," Butler explained to MTV News.

"But from the second I got the script and I read it, one, it's a very powerful and emotional and inspiring story, but two, it really dives into the psyche and the danger and the courage in the sport of surfing and that was something I'd never really seen before in a major feature film. I thought, I want to be part of telling that story. It would be an honour for me to step in there and really try and represent what goes on in the mind and heart of a big-wave surfer."

Butler also promised that fans would be getting more than a stereotypical surfing movie as Chasing Mavericks employed new technologies and techniques while shooting.

"I mean, it is edge-of-the-seat stuff. It's enthralling, takes your breath away, and it's incredible edgy considering this type of movie. They use all kinds of processes and inventions that they've never used before while filming surfing, so we got just the best footage," he said.

"If it was just a surf video, it would be a huge success in that alone, but fortunately on top of that we have a very powerful and compelling story. I've never seen a movie like this, and I felt that when I read the script."

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/news/a4...ect-for-me.html

view post Posted on 30/8/2012, 08:59

Group:
Moderatore globale

CITAZIONE
"emotional and inspiring" story.

I want to be part of telling that story.

Gerry,lo dici tutte le volte... -_- :P

gemini78
view post Posted on 30/8/2012, 12:03

CITAZIONE (sabrinta @ 30/8/2012, 09:59) 
CITAZIONE
"emotional and inspiring" story.

I want to be part of telling that story.

Gerry,lo dici tutte le volte... -_- :P

Vero :eheh:

grace67
view post Posted on 31/8/2012, 19:34

"Un uomo e il suo entusiasmo" su Rieduchescional Channel!!

view post Posted on 1/10/2012, 16:26

Group:
Moderatore globale

luuunga intervista a Gerry sul magazine Sky(Delta) la cui copertina è stata postata qualche giorno fa :D

Modern Maverick

Gerard Butler is used to scaring himself—he’s the kind of man who does his own stunts—but surfing the world’s deadliest wave for his new movie Chasing Mavericks required him to dive deeper.

Saturdays Surf NYC is in the middle of downtown Manhattan, but it sells boards and boardshorts and beach towels, and the Aussies working there brew a pretty gnarly iced espresso. The SoHo shop isn’t completely for tourists—there’s a great patio out back where you can eavesdrop on actual conversations about pipelines and barrels from the North Shore of Oahu to Rockaway Beach in Queens. But it probably ranks as the closest this Midwesterner has yet come to legitimate surfing culture.

I was at Saturdays on a research mission before my interview with Gerard Butler, the 42-year-old star of Chasing Mavericks, the new surfing movie directed by Michael Apted and 8 Mile’s Curtis Hanson. Butler plays Frosty Hesson, a real-life Northern California big wave surfer. Mavericks is a cross between Dogtown and Z-Boys and The Karate Kid. It follows Butler’s Frosty as he trains a 15-year-old kid named Jay Moriarity to surf Mavericks, the nickname of a behemoth wave north of Santa Cruz. It’s all based on a true story, and when I asked my Aussie barista-dude at Saturdays if he had any books on Mavericks or Moriarity (who died in 2001), he stood still and got this full fathom five look in his eye. “Jay Moriarity?” he repeated in a big Aussie accent. “Legend.” I was sent to the patio with a fat stack of surfing lit.

Gerard Butler has been living in Los Angeles for the past couple of years, but he grew up in Scotland, where the water is nearly as cold and unsurfable as a frozen Minnesota lake. Before he filmed Mavericks, Butler didn’t know much more about surfing than I did. Sure, Butler is an extreme actor who prides himself on his physicality—this is 300’s King Leonidas himself we’re talking about—but Mavericks has taken the lives of surfers who had been riding big waves for decades. And he’s a 40-something Scottish actor, attempting to surf one of the most frigid (water temps can regularly drop to 47 degrees Fahrenheit during the surf season), most terrifying waves (not only can it crest to 50-plus feet, but Mavericks is on the tip of the “red triangle,” a huge Great White feeding zone) in the entire world. A spiritual experience was inevitable—because he nearly died, multiple times. This is our conversation about that experience.

So I interviewed Frosty before interviewing you. He said you have “impressive stoke.”

What’s stoke?

Stoke is a surfer’s term. I guess it’s like stoking a flame. He explained it as “having enthusiasm for the water.”
Oh, as in “stoked”! Like I’m stoked. I’m totally excited.

Right, but they use it as a noun as well. As in, “he has stoke.”
That’s not fair. Because he didn’t teach me that lingo and now I sound like an idiot in the interview. “He’s got stoke.” I tell ya, Frosty has this incredible heart and he was very welcoming to me. Because I couldn’t help but feel like an imposter, coming up to Santa Cruz and going, “OK, I’m trying to play you, one of the best big wave riders out there, who taught this kid how to surf one of the most dangerous waves in the world when he was 15 years old.”

Frosty had Jay write essays describing his own fears to help him learn about the inevitable failure and fear out at Mavericks. Did he employ any of this pedagogy when he was teaching you?
I have to say, he didn’t give me any essays to write. Although I’m sure if he could’ve gotten away with it, he would have. But he’s always throwing out a tidbit of wisdom or information here and there—he has information for every area in life. But what I really gravitated toward was his description of what it is to have the heart and the soul of a surfer. The courage that it takes. What you actually have to deal with out there. For instance, he would talk about Mavericks. How you wouldn’t know which way you were going and if you were to swim one way you would be swimming to your death. And it’s what I had come to deal with myself when I had my whole shenanigans down there—the distance between fear and absolute panic is the distance between life and death.

Frosty told me that at one point you asked, “I wanna know what it’s like to wipe out.” And he said, “I’m not sure you want to know that, man.” Then you wiped out, pretty seriously.
I actually wiped out really pretty seriously a few times, to be honest. Because I was learning [and went] from a guy who’s never been on a surfboard to not only surfing a wave, but messing around with water that was way too ferocious and waves that were way too big for me.

These guys do things on a daily basis that 99 percent of the population would find unimaginable—and even a lot of people who would just surf a regular wave—to know the sound and force of a big wave, a wave more than 15 or 20 feet high. It’s like a train hitting you. Or a train is passing by you. And it’s awesome. And everybody kept telling me: When you get to Mavericks, when you get out there, nothing will prepare you for what you’re going to experience in terms of sight and sound and feeling. And I always thought I was going to be disappointed. And I was so not disappointed. It was a buzz like nothing else. And you ask, why do you seek that buzz, whether it’s surfing or anything? It’s because in those moments you feel so alive. You know, that adrenaline puts you in the present. And the pride that you take in yourself for trying to take on something that’s so much bigger than you can just wipe you out. It’s such a great feeling.

You did tow-in surfing.
I did! I did tow in. Yeah. [Laughs] I learned to tow-in surf at Oxnard, just north of LA. There are great big, beautiful, powerful waves there. I learned how to stand up on the board, almost like wakeboarding, by learning to stand on a surfboard while it’s being dragged along by a boat.

How did you get hurt?
I was actually out at Mavericks. The first week, I went out and I surfed a couple of really fair-sized waves. And that was an incredible day. To have all the surfers around you and to see how excited the crew was. But then the next week, we weren’t even surfing. My instructor was like, “Dude, we’re not going to surf today, but let’s just see how we can handle water that’s this dangerous.” And I’m paddling out, saying to myself, “OK, this doesn’t really feel right.” And I can sense this wave on either side of me, in front of me, behind me, underneath me, and a couple of minutes later, it picks me up and slammed me down and I thought that I had been hit by a baseball bat. And I must’ve fallen down about 12 feet or something.
Now, either it was just the force of the water hitting me or the board hit my head, but it whacked my head and I went right down to the bottom. I’m 10, 15 feet under water, spinning in every direction, my leash is gone and the next wave just came in and I hadn’t even gone up to the top. I was out of breath halfway through the first wave, and now the second wave’s coming in, and I’m in big trouble. It was just me and [surfer] Grant Washburn out there, and he wasn’t particularly close. When you’re under a wave, there’s nothing you can do. You’re at the mercy of something else. Surfers know they might be in the thick of it for four minutes. Because that’s the other thing: For me, it wasn’t over when I thought it was over. Grant Washburn is 6-foot-6 and the calmest guy I’ve ever seen in my life, and when I came up after being down for two waves, he came over in the jet ski and he looked terrified. He couldn’t get to me. And he had to turn. And that look on his face, like, “I’m so sorry,” because the next wave was coming and he had to get out. And the next wave took me down and it started all over again. I was in there for a while, and it felt like an eternity. All I could cling on to was: “Stay calm. Stay calm.” And I think just like in Mavericks, that’s a life lesson. What it teaches in surfing, it really teaches in life.

Frosty was definitely a father figure for Jay Moriarity, who grew up without a dad. Did you have somebody who stepped up when your dad wasn’t around? [Butler’s parents split up when he was 18 months old and Butler didn’t see his father again until he was 16.]
Fortunately, [being part of] a big Catholic family in Scotland, you always have aunts and uncles and cousins who are always there to show you the ropes. But I’m not going to lie and say that it didn’t hurt growing up without a father. Or that I could’ve learned a lot more just with somebody actually being there, showing me these manly things. However, my mom, because she had such a set of balls on her, she was like my mom and my dad. She was very sensitive and loving, and at the same time she was tough as nails. And she just always was the woman who, no matter what was going on, you always knew she had an answer for it. I literally felt, in a lot of ways, invincible as a kid.

You’ve done father-son movies before.
I do feel that I gravitate toward them. I know that it’s been a subject matter of huge fascination to me and some of the best work I’ve done, for instance Dear Frankie, or even the movie coming out soon: Playing for Keeps. You can see the power of a parent/child relationship; you see they have the best intentions, but life or the culture screws them up or whatever it is.

You say you felt invincible when you were a kid. Part of the appeal of big-wave surfing seems to be the adrenaline rush that comes with risking your life.
When I look back at things that I did on a day-to-day basis when I was younger, I go, “Really?” There were death-defying moments from one moment to the next. I’m amazed I’m still around. But, you know, I do see myself as a bit of an adventurer. But I don’t heliski or anything. Well, actually, I was learning to fly a helicopter just last week. And I jumped a speedboat in this lake for the movie I’m shooting—we did 115 miles an hour. This was a couple of days ago. Actually, as I’m telling you this . . . I also ride a motorbike. I have a Harley sitting in here. [Laughs]

So you are a bit of a risk-taker.
You still do things to feel that rush. Yeah. Listen, I love to get involved in all my own stunts. Like in this movie I’m shooting now [a Secret Service movie called Olympus Has Fallen], I have beaten the s*** out of myself. And I took photos of all the cuts, abrasions, bruises. I had a bruise bigger than my fist on the back of my leg and one almost as big as that on the front of my leg. A burn. I had a bullet cartridge hit me in the eye. Fortunately, I was blinking at the time, but it hit my eyelid and it smacked me. Knocked my head back. Hurt my back trying to lift up a guy in the middle of a fight. Slammed myself so many times, because you do these takes 15, 20, 25 times. So if you’re going to fall backward, you’re doing that again and again and again. And by the way, that suits me. I like to get involved and give it that kind of energy.

How do you prepare for that kind of physical beating?
It’s funny, because that’s what Mavericks is all about, isn’t it? Facing up to your fears. I actually love to do stuff that I know is going to scare me s***less. I’m not saying I’m the bravest guy in the world, not at all. But I do know that that adrenaline and that excitement—and in actual fact, a big fear of failure or a fear of your own lack of courage—in a way makes me want to test it all the time. And that’s always led me to take on these things way beyond my means or talents.

Where does that courage come from?
Sometimes my intention and my purpose feel so strong that I know that there is no not getting to where I’m going. And I think that’s from my upbringing; my mother was very like that. It’s also part of my culture. You watch any movie about Scotland and they have a lot of good stuff going for them and one of them is their fighting spirit. And I think that I have that. And I often think your wish to get ahead, your wish to be successful in some things comes from an insecurity that you had as a kid. That need to push yourself beyond those boundaries: “I will not fail.” Because in actual fact, I’m terrified. So I’m going to try 10 times harder than everybody else. And I think what’s cool is that with age you learn to relax a little bit, you know? You go, Listen, I’ve made my mark. Now I’m doing what I do because I love it and I can see everything with a little more perspective.

Surfing is a sport, but there’s no final score. You do a lot of athletic stuff in your movies. Were you an athlete back in Scotland?
Well, I was very athletic at school. When I was younger, I played soccer a lot. I played badminton. I played a bit of tennis. I ran. You know, I was in track and field. I did all of that. So I was very fit. I was always doing something. I was running. But surfing? No. I had done it maybe twice in my life. For a total of three hours. And over the last couple of years, living in LA, I thought, “You know, I really wish I had taken up surfing more.” For me, it always epitomized the difference between a little Scotch boy and the American culture and the way of life. Those muscled-up dudes out there on the surfboards surfing in on a big wave. And you’re like, “Wait a minute, I’m from Glasgow, we don’t do that s***.” You know, first thing, the water would turn us blue and we would die of hypothermia before we get out three feet.

Surfers often seem disappointed with surfing movies because the actors are not putting their butts on the line, but it sounds like you did. And that’s sort of crazy.

All the way back to the days of 300, it was my ambition that if it works for the guys I’m working with, then surely it’s going to work for the audience. If I could get respect from all my stuntmen, and they’re not saying, “You’re a lightweight actor trying to do something else,” but “You really are busting your chops. And you’re here with us on the frontline ready to take a hit, take a beating.” And to get appreciated by others who see you doing that is an incredible feeling.

But what really touched me about those guys was their humility. Having now gotten involved in this movie and talked to a lot of people and having been out there even just a little bit, I realize more and more how they live and what they go through. And to know that they weren’t sitting there bragging, “Oh, I surfed this wave . . . .” They were very quiet. I had to push them: “How dangerous was that?” “How awful was that moment?” I wanted to get to the stage where I deemed myself worthy to lead the men. I wasn’t going to stand up there and say [to myself], “You’re a fraud.” Which is what I felt when I stood in front of Frosty. But I knew that the best I could do is get into the water with them and surf.

http://deltaskymag.delta.com/Sky-Extras/Fa...n-Maverick.aspx

gemini78
view post Posted on 1/10/2012, 17:35

D'altronde sappiamo quanto chiacchieri Gerry! :P

CITAZIONE
And I took photos of all the cuts, abrasions, bruises. I had a bruise bigger than my fist on the back of my leg and one almost as big as that on the front of my leg. A burn. I had a bullet cartridge hit me in the eye. Fortunately, I was blinking at the time, but it hit my eyelid and it smacked me. Knocked my head back. Hurt my back trying to lift up a guy in the middle of a fight. Slammed myself so many times, because you do these takes 15, 20, 25 times.

E figurarsi se mancava l'elenco di tutto quello che gli capita :lol:

Edited by gemini78 - 1/10/2012, 20:17

view post Posted on 2/10/2012, 21:33

Group:
Moderatore globale

è proprio un passa guai XD

Altra intervista,fortunatamente più breve :P

Heavy Water Presented By Chasing Mavericks: Gerard Butler Interview
Catching Up With The Star Of Chasing Mavericks—An Upcoming Film Based On The True Story Of Jay Moriarty

Gerard Butler, the Scottish-born actor most famous for his leading role in the movie 300, recently took on the task of playing Frosty Hesson (the legendary big-wave surfer from Northern California), in Hollywood’s forthcoming film titled Chasing Mavericks. In the process, he garnered a newfound respect for the surfing lifestyle. Oh, and he almost died.—Zander Morton

TransWorld SURF: How long have you been surfing?

Gerard Butler: I surfed when I was 17-years old for about 15 minutes with my cousins who lived in San Clemente. I was just this kid from Scotland, and I felt so humiliated that I didn’t go back in the water for another 18 years. But when this movie came along, I thought it’d be a perfect opportunity to get into surfing and tell an incredible tale about the surfing world, a surfer’s psyche, and at the same time train with some of the best f—king surfers in the world.

What kind of training did you do to prepare for this role?

To get my stamina up, I did long-distances paddleboarding and then basically just surfing—learning how to be on a board, do turns, get up on a wave… really just learning how to look like I knew what I was doing. It was a lot in a short time, and I did say to myself, “What the f—k have I got myself into?” But I operate best like that. If I know my back is up against the wall, then that’s what kicks me into action. Fear is a huge motivator for me. I went up to Santa Cruz and surfed with Frosty, the character I’m playing. I was just getting in the water and learning to deal with different types of conditions and different types of waves. One of the big things I wanted to do was to learn to tow-in. I was secretly hoping I could tow at Mavericks, which is what I ended up doing. We had a couple days where I got towed into a few waves and I was thinking, “Holy shit, I’m surfing Mavericks, I can’t believe it!” It was maybe the coolest thing I’ve ever done.

That’s quite a quick ascent, from a beginner straight to towing Mavericks.

Oh yeah, and I learned surfing is a thing that consumes people’s lives. When I got into it, I understood why. These guys are the furthest thing away from “dudes” or “f—kheads,” they are so smart and down-to-earth. Maybe my favorite thing about the movie was the surfers I met and spent time with. Surfing is not a well-paid sport, and surfers give up a lot. I’m really glad that I had a chance to get involved. When I saw those surf scenes I thought, “Maybe people that aren’t close to the surfing world will understand and not think that I’m a little softy getting taken down by these waves and getting taken to the hospital.” When they see the waves in this movie, they’ll go, “Now I can understand why something like that would happen.”

http://surf.transworld.net/1000152617/phot.../?cmpid=twitter

30 replies since 22/9/2011, 17:05   652 views