Les Miserables

« Older   Newer »
gemini78
view post Posted on 21/1/2013, 18:02 by: gemini78

Les Misérables soundtrack reaches no1 in UK album chart
Les Misérables' soundtrack has topped the UK album chart - the first musical to do so in 16 years - despite the cast being criticised for their vocal efforts.

The soundtrack to Les Misérables has reached no1 in the UK album charts, beating Brit-nominated Emeli Sande's best-selling album and popular newcomer Jake Bugg to the top spot.
It's the first time a musical has claimed such an accolade in 16 years - Evita's soundtrack, starring Madonna, hit no1 in 1997.
However, unlike Madonna, the cast of the Oscar-nominated film haven't been blessed with a natural flair for singing. Director Tom Hooper told The Telegraph that Eddie Redmayne did 21 takes of track Empty Chairs before the cut was made. The cast were at the centre of very public criticism from American Idol (a US talent contest) finalist Adam Lambert, who said "the score suffered massively with great actors PRETENDING to be singers." Helena Bonham Carter admitted that she found the singing aspect of the film difficult after the Critics Circle film awards.
Bonham Carter, who plays Madame Thenardier, said: "I had lots of vocal training for Les Mis but I didn't improve as much as I thought I would. I watched it and thought I was going to be so much bigger. I would do another singing role if someone else was foolish enough to employ me but I wouldn’t do a stage musical. I don’t have a strong enough voice."
Defendents of the cast's singing, including Le Mis star Russell Crowe, have referenced Hooper's desire for the film to be 'raw and real'.

www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/music/m...lbum-chart.html

62 replies since 20/9/2012, 19:37   418 views