« Older   Newer »
sabrinta
view post Posted on 1/11/2012, 13:26 by: sabrinta

He's a lion that I am proud to hunt

Group:
Moderatore globale

ancora alcune recensioni che evidenziano i difetti del film:

He Said, She Said: 'Chasing Mavericks' totally wipes out, dude

"Chasing Mavericks" stars Gerard Butler as an aging Santa Cruz big wave surfur who deigns to reveal the secrets of surviving big wave surfing to a young friend looking for a father figure.

MICHELLE: I almost drowned trying to surf The Wedge as a teenager. I didn't know what I was doing, gave it a shot, and was lucky to survive. So I secretly envy those who test themselves against the ocean and manage to turn a sport into an art form. But I've never seen a good movie about it. In fact, I've seen several bad ones.

ALLEN: I've seen good surfing movies. This is not one of them.

MICHELLE: "Soul Surfer" is about an awesome young lady whose arm got bitten off by a great white in Kauai, who fought her way back with the help of a deep faith. It's almost unwatchable as a film, and features my most favorite location on earth, Hanalei. But it's hard to put my finger on why it failed as a film for me. This one was easier. I think Allen put it best when he said, "It felt like an After-School Special." That's absolutely true. You've got to love a guy who finds his passion at a young age and does everything he can to follow it — even when it seems objectively crazy.

ALLEN: The problem is they added several melodramatic subplots that didn't go anywhere or add dramatic punch.

MICHELLE: Butler plays Frosty, a crusty older surfer who makes the decision to initiate a kid who lives a few doors down in the world of huge wave surfing. He throws some "Karate Kid" style challenges
Advertisement
at the kid. And the kid rises to every challenge. Along the way, he find the courage to talk to the girl he's loved since he was about 10, while taking care of his drunk mother and helping to pay the rent.

I just wish it wasn't all so clichˇ. And that he didn't look so much like Chris Atkins in "Blue Lagoon."

Not that there's anything wrong with handsome curly-haired blonds who surf. It just strikes you a bit odd when both our leads' accents start leaking into the performance.

ALLEN: They never explain why Frosty has childhood pictures from Tahoe, but sounds like he's from Dublin. In the 1960s and 1970s there were some great documentaries shot on surfing — excellent cinematography that's absent here.

MICHELLE: This subject has great movie potential. It wasn't achieved here.

www.chicoer.com/entertainment/ci_21...s-totally-wipes

FROM MY SEAT
'Chasing Mavericks' Has a Nice Message, But Incomplete as a Film

In "Chasing Mavericks," Gerard Butler plays "Frosty," a surfer with a bad attitude.

His protege, Jay Moriarity (Jonny Weston), has enough optimism to make even the biggest cup runneth over. With Elisabeth Shue as Kristy Moriarity, and Levin Rambin as Jay's love interest, this movie has beautiful scenery as well as beautiful faces. Anyone who has seen Butler before will not be disappointed with the character he portrays. Mighty and dark, but with just enough humor, he is a respected but unorthodox teacher.

The movie had a solid opening that kept me wanting more. Unfortunately, I was still waiting for my "more" halfway through.

Keeping me warm with heartfelt moments and a few laughs, I couldn't shake that feeling of "too good to be true." Filled with plenty of inner struggles and a few blue moments, the need for conflict consumed me.

They did manage to make the mother in me want to show my children what happens when you never give up. A must-see for the family, but wait for the DVD.

This film earned 2 1/2 Stars (out of 4).

www.theledger.com/article/20121031/ENT/121039880?tc=ar

'Chasing Mavericks' fails to catch that big wave

[...]
The story focuses on Moriarity’s early obsession with the sport, his preparation to take on the big waves and his first-time try at the Mavericks. Even though it was a wipeout, the moment gave the teenager an impressive start. Caught by photographers and splashed across surfing publications everywhere, he became an overnight sensation.

The film suffers from a serious unevenness from the first frame to the last.

The footage itself, particularly of the surf, is spectacular, with veteran cinematographer Bill Pope handling the camerawork. But the drama is soggy, overreaching for the heartfelt and overdoing the inspirational.

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/articl...?nclick_check=1

Edited by sabrinta - 2/11/2012, 00:04

17 replies since 5/10/2012, 16:33   400 views