Gods of Egypt - Articoli e Interviste

« Older   Newer »
view post Posted on 1/3/2014, 12:52

He's a lion that I am proud to hunt

Group:
Moderatore globale

la prima intervista a Gerry riguardo GOF ;)

Gerard Butler embraces role of villain in $150 million action fantasy Gods of Egypt

GERARD Butler is so keen to start work on big-budget action fantasy Gods of Egypt, he will front up at Fox Studios on Monday — almost a month before filming begins.

“We’re putting major prep into this,’’ the Scottish actor revealed in Los Angeles today during an interview to promote the animated sequel How To Train Your Dragon 2.

Butler, 44, was to board a flight to Sydney immediately after the promotional tour had wrapped.

“I am going to be down there three and a half weeks before we start just so I can be in among it for all the training and the dialect sessions and the rehearsals.”

Best known for his role as Spartan King Leonidas in 300, Zack Snyder’s graphic re-enactment of the ancient battle of Thermopylae, Butler described the project as “massive.”

“It’s the largest budget movie I have ever worked on. It’s huge in every dimension. It’s huge in its scope. And it’s story. And visually. (I, Robot’s) Alex Proyas is the man. Everything about the movie feels bang on.”

Having played both Vikings and Spartans, Butler is clearly no stranger to mythical characters. But Set, the God of Chaos, is perhaps his first real villain.

“Leonidas was also a dark character but it was ultimately for a higher good. With Set, it’s kinda the opposite,’’ the actor laughed. “It’s a delicious role to get your teeth into.”

Deputy NSW Premier Andrew Stoner announced earlier this month that NSW had landed the $150 million blockbuster, also starring Geoffrey Rush and Game of Thrones’ Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, ahead of Victoria after fierce bidding war.

Proyas has previously shot movies in both states — Dark City and Garage Days in Sydney and Knowing in Melbourne.

The director’s big-budget adaptation of John Milton’s epic poem Paradise Lose, with Bradley Cooper in the role of Lucifer, was also planned for Sydney — until it was shut down in pre-production over budgetary concerns.

For Butler, 2014 is shaping up to be a bumper year.

After wrapping on Gods of Egypt, he begins work on a hotly-anticipated remake of Point Break with Australia’s Luke Bracey in the Keanu Reeves role.

The production is scheduled to travel to Tahiti, Venezuela, Mexico, Italy, Switzerland, France and Germany during the course of an ambitious six-month shoot.
http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/movie...8-1226842112541

gemini78
view post Posted on 2/3/2014, 15:25

CITAZIONE
and the dialect sessions

ahia, questo mi preoccupa! :P

CITAZIONE
“It’s the largest budget movie I have ever worked on. It’s huge in every dimension. It’s huge in its scope. And it’s story. And visually. (I, Robot’s) Alex Proyas is the man. Everything about the movie feels bang on.”

ok, incrocio le dita e spero!!

iam.what.iam
view post Posted on 3/3/2014, 19:54

CITAZIONE
For Butler, 2014 is shaping up to be a bumper year

questo giornalista è fin troppo ottimista.....mi sa che è una donna sbavatrice!

view post Posted on 6/4/2014, 10:37

He's a lion that I am proud to hunt

Group:
Administrator

..Un articolo critico relativamente all'uso di soli attoi bianchi per rappresentare il mondo mediorientale...Mi spiace dirglielo,ma gli abitanti del medioriente prima di cristo non erano neri...comunque una polemica interessante..

http://www.dailylife.com.au/news-and-views...0401-35vzp.html

Australian director Alex Proyas' blockbuster Gods of Egypt started shooting in Sydney last Wednesday. The $150 million epic centres on the showdown between the evil god Set (Gerard Butler) and Horus (Danish Game of Thrones star Nikolaj Coster-Waldeu). It also stars "our own" Geoffrey Rush as the sun god Ra and Brenton Thwaites as a "common thief" who joins the mythical figures on their magical quest.

In other words, it's a film set in Egypt with Egyptian characters, but (with the exceptions of Chadwick Boseman and Elodie Yung in minor roles) a white cast.

And so, the time-honoured tradition of Hollywood whitewashing continues.

Geoffrey Rush will also star in the $150 million epic, Gods of Egypt.
Geoffrey Rush will also star in the $150 million epic, Gods of Egypt. Photo: Lisa Maree Williams

Ever since D.W. Griffith's 1915 silent epic Birth of a Nation non-white characters in films have often been played by white people in blackface (or yellowface or brownface) or left out altogether.

Biblical blockbuster Noah - now in cinemas - stars Russell Crowe, Jennifer Connelly and Emma Watson, while Christian Bale will play Moses in the upcoming adaption of the exodus story. It seems we have become so accustomed to depictions of biblical figures as white, that such blatant whitewashing barely even registers.

But whitewashing isn't reserved for historical epics. Real people whose stories are considered extraordinary enough to bring to the big screen are finding their race erased also. Connelly also starred opposite Crowe in A Beautiful Mind, based on real couple John and Alicia Nash. Only the real Alicia Nash was not white but from El Salvador.

When I wrote about the whitewashing in tsunami disaster film The Impossible last year, I was given a dressing down by outraged commenters who deplored my "inability to look past race".

But the idea that race is something we can transcend in a world still reeling from colonialism and its racist legacies is a notion only privileged white people can afford to entertain. As Waleed Aly wrote in The Sydney Morning Herald last Friday, there is no such thing as racial neutrality:

"Only white people have the chance to be neutral because in our society only white is deemed normal; only whiteness is invisible. Every other race is marked by its difference, by its conspicuousness – by its non-whiteness."

Every time people of colour are whitewashed - and it happens with alarming frequency - those of us who dare complain are told not to overreact, that it is just entertainment, that we shouldn't play the race card. After all, why should race matter in a good film?

It matters because actors of colour are routinely sidelined. They may get literally a handful of leading roles per year in films where race is an essential aspect of the narrative such as 12 Years A Slave, but are usually relegated to minor roles such as the black 'sassy' friend, or the Asian nerdy sidekick, as this parody video shows.

The last line in that video, where the actresses dream of a casting breakdown that reads "submit all ethnicities", refers to the common practice of casting calls asking only for Caucasian actors.

I spoke with an employee at the casting agency that worked on Gods of Egypt but a strict confidentiality agreement they meant couldn't answer my questions. However, previous films that did request only Caucasian actors to audition include The Hunger Games (even though lead character Katniss Everdeen is "dark haired" and "olive skinned" in the book) and The Last Airbender, so it's not far-fetched to imagine that this film likely did the same.

However, Gods of Egypt did request extras of Middle-Eastern appearance. I spoke with Mohab Kamel, an Egyptian-Australian broadcaster at SBS Radio who responded to the casting call. Kamel was told all roles had been cast but is sceptical that they were filled by any actual Egyptians. In his experience, producers are keen to cast extras who "look the part" but don't necessarily have any connection to the race or culture they will be depicting.

And yet, even as people of colour are expected to be happy with peripheral roles, when the tables are reversed, and a person of colour beats the incredible odds and lands a film role the white portion of the population has already claimed as theirs, the backlash is as offensive as it is disproportionate.

When the first Hunger Games instalment was released, many fans were incredulous and outraged that Rue was played by Amandla Stenberg. Even though she was clearly described as "dark-skinned" in the book, the fact she was also ''innocent'' led many to assume she must be white.

Likewise, the remake of beloved musical Annie with Quvenzhane Wallis in the title role also sent Twitter racists into a meltdown, with one comparing it to an all-white Roots remake. Roots, of course, is a drama about slavery.

But nothing seems to arouse white anger like comic book characters played by black actors. A campaign to get Community star Donald Glover cast as Spiderman was quickly dropped amid a furious backlash by fans that wouldn't accept a black Peter Parker.

There was furious pushback, including boycott threats when Thor was released with Idris Elba as Heimdall, and most recently Michael B. Jordan's casting as Johnny Storm in the new Fantastic Four movies is also seeing a backlash.

That fans could be equally angry at the casting of black actors whether this is true to the source material or not shows that these outcries are pure racism. As this Atlantic article notes, "American racism holds that only certain racial differences matter."

Keep in mind also that many comic book characters and the original Annie were created in a time of enforced white dominance, when prevailing norms meant nearly all characters were white by default.

All of which goes to show that our society remains structured around the centrality of whiteness, where white is the default race that can represent all humanity, and the rest of us are mere bit players.

I could finish with a lamentation of how, after centuries of white colonialievsm and supremacy, our society still lacks the will to make whitewashing a thing of the past. I could also ruminate on how, despite a modicum of lip service to ending racism, we remain resistant to true diversity.

But perhaps this meme sums it up best.

Hydryal
view post Posted on 6/4/2014, 11:44

CITAZIONE (arielcips @ 6/4/2014, 11:37) 
..Un articolo critico relativamente all'uso di soli attoi bianchi per rappresentare il mondo mediorientale...Mi spiace dirglielo,ma gli abitanti del medioriente prima di cristo non erano neri...comunque una polemica interessante..

Be' le Critiche ci sono sempre, sennò non sarebbe normale. Comunque nel cast, anche se con ruoli minori ci sono attori mediorientali, come l'articolo stesso cita...

CITAZIONE
In other words, it's a film set in Egypt with Egyptian characters, but (with the exceptions of Chadwick Boseman and Elodie Yung in minor roles) a white cast.

Penso che in base a ciò che ho letto, GOE è stato più che altro il movente, diciamo così, per una polemica che forse esiste da tempi ben più lontani, infatti si parla anche di altre pellicole ben più vecchie, "Noah" a parte (nei cinema adesso), si cita anche "A Beautiful Mind" basato su una Storia vera, in cui viene contestata la Connelly... E poi altri film anche recentemente premiati agli Oscar...

Comunque un Articolo Interessantissimo Ariel...

Un Abbaccio e di nuovo buonagiornatato7

Hydryal
view post Posted on 13/4/2014, 19:10

Ancora un articolo di Protesta Razziale per il Film GOE <_< (Che sembra crescere, addirittura c'è una Petizione che già in molti hanno firmato... :unsure: sono un po' preoccupata :( )

Gerard Butler's new £100million movie caught up in bizarre race row

PROTESTERS claim African blockbuster Gods Of Egypt has been whitewashed and call for greater racial mix among stars of film. Segue una Foto di Gerry...

9063079cba7e62e48ebc096a8b3ff43b_zps4597d89b

GERARD Butler has been hit by a bizarre race row on the Aussie set of his new £100million movie.
The blockbuster, called Gods Of Egypt, is set in Africa but the main parts have gone to Butler, Australian Geoffrey Rush and Danish actor Nikolaj Coster-Waldau.
More than 15,000 signatures have been gathered in Australia, where shooting has begun, for a petition demanding fair representation.

Demonstrators are calling for a greater racial mix among the main characters.

Australian filmmaker Ruby Hamad, one of the protesters, said: “The time-honoured tradition of Hollywood whitewashing continues. Every time people of colour are whitewashed – and it happens with alarming frequency – those of us who dare complain are told not to overreact, that it’s entertainment, that we shouldn’t play the race card.

“After all, why should race matter in a good film? It matters as actors of colour are routinely sidelined.”

Gods Of Egypt is being directed by Alex Proyas, who made Will Smith’s I, Robot. Butler stars as the God of Chaos, Coster-Waldau as Horus and Rush is Sun God Ra.

Egyptians were among people answering a casting call for “extras of Middle-Eastern appearance” but the parts had been filled, it is claimed.

The petition, organised by activists Thorne Studios, has attracted worldwide support.
It demands the director: “Stay true to the appearance of the men you wish to represent.”

Yesterday, film studio Lionsgate and Proyas declined to comment

Link articolo:

www.dailyrecord.co.uk/entertainment...JPbZzo.facebook

Edited by Hydryal - 13/4/2014, 20:48

5 replies since 1/3/2014, 12:52   230 views