Articoli ed interviste

« Older   Newer »
gemini21
view post Posted on 3/4/2008, 19:45

Gerard Butler approda su Nim’s Island

http://news.castlerock.it/news_cinema.php/...su-nim-s-island

L’attore scozzese sarà nel cast di un film ispirato ad un libro di Wendy Orr. Accanto a lui anche Jodie Foster e Abigail Breslin.

Gerard Butler è entrato a far parte del cast di Nim's Island, una pellicola scritta e diretta da Mark Levin e Jennifer Flackett e ispirata all'omonimo romanzo per ragazzi di Wendy Orr.

Il fascinoso attore scozzese quindi reciterà accanto a Jodie Foster ed alla piccola e talentuosa Abigail Breslin che nel film interpreta una ragazzina che si trova su un'isola tropicale assieme a suo padre. Un giorno l'uomo scompare in mare e lascia sua figlia da sola, sull'isola. La ragazzina inizia una corrispondenza via e-mail con l'autrice di un libro che sta leggendo, e grazie al suo aiuto riesce a cavarsela e ad andare avanti anche senza suo padre.

Le riprese del film, la cui uscita nelle sale americane è prevista per il 25 aprile 2008, inizieranno a Luglio in Australia.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Scusate, ma la domanda sorge spontanea, Gerry farà il padre che scompare in mare?? :fisch:

arielcips18/5/2007, 15:32
...perchè ho come la sensazione di sì???

jiujiu18/5/2007, 19:13
CITAZIONE ...perchè ho come la sensazione di sì???

beh, non sarebbe gerry se non schiattasse/soffrisse/scomparisse/si facesse uccidere da qualcosa/qualcuno a inizio/metà/fine film... -_- ( però lavorare con jodie.. :wub: )

CITAZIONE evvai,tutti vogliono Gerry!(peccato che i giorni durino solo 24ore e un anno abbia solo 365 giorni...ce la farà il nostro eroe? :P )

siii!! se Brad pitt gira e produce sette film in un anno, il nostro leonida può fare sicuramente di più e meglio!!! :occhilucidi: :entusiasmo:

arielcips22/9/2007, 11:51
Qualcuno ha dato un'occhiata a Nim's Island...

Nim's Island Movie Preview

Category: Nim's Island News
Article Date: September 21, 2007 | Publication: Box Office Prophets | Author: Matthew Huntley
Source: Box Office Prophets Posted by: admin

So far this century, movies about kids saving the day have proven to be box office powerhouses, and it's an even more lucrative bet when studios produce movies adapted from popular children's literature (the Harry Potter series, The Chronicles of Narnia, Bridge to Terabithia). So it's no surprise Fox Walden, the new banner that's a joint venture between Fox and Walden Media, has begun production on Nim's Island, an adaptation of Wendy Orr's 2000 novel, tentatively planned for a spring 2008 release. Jennifer Flackett and Mark Levin, who both co-wrote the screenplay, will direct the film set to star Abigail Breslin, Jodie Foster and Gerard Butler.

Given Walden Media's high standards for family entertainment (along with Narnia and Terabithia, the company also produced last winter's sleeper hit Charlotte's Web), not to mention the studio's positive critical reception, Nim's Island should appeal to its target audience (the book is generally meant for eight-to-12 year olds) as well as parents looking for harmless yet imaginative entertainment.

The story centers on Nim, a grade-school girl who lives with her scientist father Jack on a tropical isle. Resourceful and adventurous, Nim is used to taking care of anything and everything, like charging her dad's batteries and checking his e-mails with his laptop. She's also outgoing and open-minded, suggested by her friendships with the isle's marine iguanas, turtles and sea lions.

One day, Jack's boat becomes disabled, leaving Nim to fend for herself. Her only link to the outside world comes from e-mailing Alexandra Rover, the author of the book Nim is currently reading. As she and Alex correspond, they teach each other different life lessons and ultimately work together to fend off evil tourists looking to inhabit the island.

The high-profile cast alone should be enough to entice moviegoers, including two-time Oscar-winner Foster, who's always a safe bet when she plays a guardian-type (Panic Room, Flight Plan); Oscar nominee Breslin, fresh off of the critical and financial success of Little Miss Sunshine, though kids will most likely remember her from The Princess Diaries 2; and Gerard Butler, who starred in this year's enormously successful 300. His role in that movie will have little influence on selling tickets for a family picture, but he'll at least be given the chance to stretch his acting muscles.

There's plenty of opportunity here for a rich family picture, with a strong female hero at its heart who becomes the manifestation of every child's fantasy that kids can make a difference and save the day! Given the movie's setting, there's also promise of fresh and vivid cinematography. If Flackett and Levin can keep the adventure and energy levels up, and the patronizing of their young viewers down, Nim's Island should prove to be delightful escapism for kids and adults alike.

gemini214/10/2007, 13:16
Nim's Island filming reaps 'spectacular' Hinchinbrook footage
Posted Thu Oct 4, 2007 7:21am AEST

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2007/10...n=entertainment

Map: Cardwell 4849
Cardwell Shire in north Queensland is expected to return to normal by the end of the week as the Nim's Island movie crew finish filming on Hinchinbrook Island.

More than 100 locals have been directly involved in the three-week shoot, and according to organisers they have been enjoying the sumptuous location lunches.

Hollywood stars Jodie Foster, Gerard Butler and Abigail Breslin have also spent time on the island.

Location manager Gareth Price says apart from one day of rain interruptions, the shoot has gone extremely well.

"Oh, the shoot's gone very well, the rushes look fantastic, I mean you can't fault the look of the island, with the weather last week [it] was absolutely spectacular so, no, it's looking brilliant," he said.

sabry_aminta9/11/2007, 11:48
http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/news/2...imsisland_N.htm ha pubblicato un articolo riguardo il film e i suoi interpreti con piccoli interventi di Gerry e di Abigail Breslin. :D

First look: All is idyllic on 'Nim's Island'

No man is an island.

No little girl is, either.

But bring together 300's warrior king Gerard Butler and Little Miss Sunshine herself, Abigail Breslin, and you have Nim's Island.

In the family film based on a children's book, the pair star as a scientist dad and his plucky daughter who live on a tropical Australian isle.

Butler's Jack researches plankton while keeping pesky pelicans at bay. "One time, I was sitting, talking to a pelican, and he goes behind me and flaps his wings," he says. "I looked like an angel on camera. I was sure he was going to nip me or rip my ear off."

Breslin's Nim hangs out with her animal buddies: sea lion Selkie, sea turtle Chica and a lizard named Fred.

"I was training all the time with the sea lions," says the actress, 11, who aspires to be a veterinarian. "They are smart but unpredictable, so you have to be prepared for everything."

Their idyllic life is upended when Jack's boat is lost in a storm, and Nim reaches out for help from e-mail pal and Indiana Jones-like explorer Alex Rover, who actually is the literary alter ego of a reclusive San Francisco author played by Jodie Foster.

Butler might play a marine biologist, but he saw plenty of action in his secondary role as the imaginary Rover, who comes to life for both Breslin and Foster. "When Nim reads a book about Alex Rover, suddenly I'm in an Arabian desert with evil captors, or I'm being tied up by African tribesmen," says Butler, who uses an American accent for Jack and his Scottish burr for Alex.

The production set up shop on Hichinbrook Island in North Queensland, Australia, which sits between the mainland and the Great Barrier Reef. "Actually, when I think about it, I already live on an island — Manhattan," Breslin says. "But I got to do stuff I would never, ever do, like climb up the side of a volcano."

Butler enjoyed his time with the young Oscar nominee. "Nim and her dad are best buddies. I don't think I could have done it as well with someone who didn't have Abigail's special talents. I learned a lot from her, how she would embrace an idea and go for it."

She also embraced the idea of a "swear pot," which nearly bankrupted Butler. "Me being from Scotland, I have a bit of a foul mouth. She fined me $2 each time. If I gave her extra, she would forget and not count it. It was hard to argue with her."

His losses did go to a good cause, "the Australian equivalent of the SPCA. But all I know is if she hadn't made it as an actress, she would have made a damn good lawyer."

Gerry intepreta 2 ruoli,il padre di Nim che è un biologo marino e Alex Rover,un esploratore tipo Indiana Jones,creato dalla mente della piccola Nim.Usa l'accento americano quando interpreta il padre e quello scozzese( :occhilucidi: )per Alex.
Gerry racconta di essersi trovato molto bene a lavorare con Abigail perchè è una ragazzina piena di talento e ha imparato tanto da lei riguardo l'approccio recitativo( che tenero :wub: )
Non ho ben capito perchè ma pare che Abigail gli abbia spillato un pò di soldi(da buon scozzese gli sarà venuto un colpo tutte le volte :P )durante le pause di lavorazione,che però sono andati tutti in beneficenza ad un'associazione australiana.

arielcips9/11/2007, 14:28

Il pellicano che lo fa sembrare un angelo...ho temuto per qualche altra relazione ambigua... ma poi ho letto del deserto africano...Oh vecchi ricordi!!!

Camel by camel!

gemini219/11/2007, 14:37
CITAZIONE Il pellicano che lo fa sembrare un angelo...ho temuto per qualche altra relazione ambigua... ma poi ho letto del deserto africano...Oh vecchi ricordi!!!
Camel by camel!

:eheh: :eheh:

CITAZIONE She also embraced the idea of a "swear pot," which nearly bankrupted Butler. "Me being from Scotland, I have a bit of a foul mouth. She fined me $2 each time. If I gave her extra, she would forget and not count it. It was hard to argue with her."

Furba la piccola! :lol:

boleroazul9/11/2007, 14:59
Questa ragazzina mio sta già simpatica :lol:

sabry_aminta9/11/2007, 15:59
CITAZIONE (Adûnaphel @ 9/11/2007, 13:24) la storia dei soldi è questa:
siccome lui è un po' sboccato, per così dire...la bambina ha cominciato a fargli pagare 2 dollari per ogni parolaccia...che poi sono andati in beneficienza!!!

aah ecco :malol: :malol: grazie mille Bea!! :D

CITAZIONE Il pellicano che lo fa sembrare un angelo...ho temuto per qualche altra relazione ambigua... ma poi ho letto del deserto africano...Oh vecchi ricordi!!!
Camel by camel!

:malol: :malol: :malol:

arielcips4/3/2008, 19:57
Una simpatica intervista in cui si parla del doppio ruolo di Gerry in questo film,della scelta del regista,del magico 'mix' sprigionato dalla coppia Butler Foster...

Bellissime le risposte che Gerry dà circa il personaggio dei due che preferisce...aaahn!

NIM'S HEROES:GERARD BUTLER AS JACK AND ALEX

In a story that is in part about the power of the imagination to shape who you want to be, Gerard Butler gets to play roles on both sides of the reality-fantasy divide: starring as both Nim's brilliant, inventive scientist father who finds himself far from home and the dashing, lionhearted fictional adventurer Alex Rover, whom Nim hopes can help save them.

Although the filmmakers had originally thought of casting two separate actors in the roles, Butler, who recently came to the fore as a steely warrior in 300 and then did a romantic turn with Hilary Swank in P.S. I Love You, convinced them to take a more daring approach. "Gerry really inspired us to cast him in both roles," explains Mark Levin, "because with him as both Jack and Alex it seemed so right and appropriate. He has the range and the charisma to be able to do justice to both characters, to show how they're really two sides of the same coin, and that really enhances the story-book quality of the movie. We also loved that there's a strong tradition of this in classic stories; for example, in Peter Pan, one actor often plays both Wendy's father and Captain Hook."

Butler reacted with great enthusiasm to the script. "I found it hard to resist," he admits. "I thought it was so very charming and fun and adventurous. And I was very excited by the challenge of playing two characters at once."

Each of his characters has his own unique journey. "Jack is a marine biologist with a young daughter and a broken heart," Butler explains. "He's a quirky character who's mostly passionate about plankton, but he goes through something very difficult and emotional trying to get back to his daughter. And then there's Alex, who's the classical definition of an action hero, an Indiana Jones type. He's bigger-than-life and full of energy and passion. But he's also a man who essentially only lives in others' imaginations, so there's a lot of humor to him, and the trick is also that he is really the alter ego of Jodie Foster's character, Alexandra. He's the one who has to push her to the more courageous side of life."

The filmmakers' excitement increased when they began to see the natural chemistry between Butler and Jodie Foster working its magic. "The scenes when Alex gets Alexandra out of her apartment are just a tour de force. They are both so funny and alive and have this great opposite energy that sets off sparks," observes Paula Mazur.

Butler found that he held great affection for both characters, but says that, in the end, his favorite of the pair was actually the more down-to-earth Jack rather than the invincible Alex Rover. "I really enjoyed Jack because he has such a beautiful, tender relationship with his daughter. Alex was tremendous fun to play, but Jack I felt more in my heart," he comments.

In playing Jack, Butler especially enjoyed working so closely with Abigail Breslin. "That was the best," he muses. "She's smart, she's funny, she's humble and, of course, so very talented. The only problem for me was that she had a 'swear jar,' and with my being a Scotsman – well, it cost me about half my salary! No matter where I was, she always heard me." Later, in a gesture Nim herself would no doubt admire, the "swear jar" proceeds were donated by Abigail to the ASPCA.

sabry_aminta5/3/2008, 12:52
CITAZIONE "I really enjoyed Jack because he has such a beautiful, tender relationship with his daughter. Alex was tremendous fun to play, but Jack I felt more in my heart,"

quanto mi piacciono risposte come questa che mettono in evidenza il suo lato sensibile :occhilucidi:

gemini2110/3/2008, 16:14
Nim's Island: la "nuova" e la "vecchia" Jodie Foster

http://www.filmfilm.it/articolo.asp?idarti...from=titolonero

10/03/2008 09:03 a cura di Teresa Lavanga

A pochi mesi dall'uscita della quarta puntata delle avventure di Indiana Jones arriva nelle sale americane (il 4 aprile) un film per gli spettatori piu' giovani che gli stessi registi Jennifer Flackett e Mark Levin hanno definito "L'Indiana Jones dei ragazzi". Ne e' protagonista un'attrice insospettabile in questi panni: Jodie Foster.

Succede nel film L'isola di Nim, in cui, per la verita' la Foster non interpreta una figura eroica ma un'agorafobica, che si vede costretta ad affrontare l'aria aperta, un viaggio in aereo e una tempesta in mare.

E' infatti l'ironia la chiave di lettura del ruolo della Foster in questo film, tratto dal romanzo omonimo di Wendy Orr, in cui interpreta Alex Rover, una scrittrice di romanzi avventurosi la cui vita è, all'opposto del suo eroe, rinchiusa fra le quattro mura di casa, incapace persino di andare a ritirare la posta.
Riceverà però la richiesta d'aiuto di una sua accanita lettrice, una ragazzina che abita insieme al padre in un'isola deserta del sud del Pacifico, ed allora vincerà le sue paure e affronterà il mondo per raggiungere la dodicenne Nim, interpretata da Abigail Breslin, ormai una star a Hollywood, dopo il successo di Little Miss Sunshine.
Terzo protagonista di questa pellicola per ragazzi è Gerard Butler, il Re Leonida di 300, che nel film veste i panni del padre di Nim ma anche quelli dell'eroe dei libri di Alex, in cui il coraggio e il pericolo sono una costante.
''Ho trovato questo romanzo in una libreria sotto casa, mi ha incuriosito il titolo, quando l'ho letto avevo già in mente la sceneggiatura - dice Paula Mazur che ha ridotto il libro nel copione - il personaggio di Alex mi somiglia, io stessa ho moltissime paure, soprattutto quella dell'aereo e la scena di Alex in volo non è altro che il ricordo di un mio viaggio in aereo''.
Meno psicologicamente fragile è la stessa Foster che ammette di avere paura dei serpenti ma di non soffrire di una vera e propria fobia: ''Però amo interpretare i personaggi psicologicamente complessi e questo è stato molto divertente''.
E' un caso però che l'attrice si sia concessa un ruolo brillante, ''Mi piacciono i drammi, sia da attrice che da spettatrice, la mia prima scelta al cinema o in videoteca è sempre per una pellicola drammatica. Ma questa commedia mi è piaciuta subito, perchè tra le altre cose, penso che spinga i ragazzi alla lettura. Il mio primogenito non era un gran lettore, ma quando gli ho portato l'isola di Nim, per leggere rinunciava a cenare, a uscire. Ero fiera di lui perchè da bambina ero una grande lettrice e speravo che un giorno anche i miei ragazzi imparassero il piacere della lettura. Da ragazza leggevo soprattutto le versioni scritte delle pellicole. Andavo al cinema e poi compravo il libro che usciva subito dopo, M*A*S*H* era uno dei miei preferiti''.
''Se avesse avuto dodici anni sarebbe stata lei la perfetta Nim - dicono i registi, riferendosi all'attrice due volte premio Oscar - ma anche Abigail è stata grande, e infatti le somiglia''.
E la Foster aggiunge: ''Lei sta vivendo la mia stessa vita. Io ho iniziato a 3 anni, e anche lei. La sua famiglia viaggia con lei, e sta vivendo questa strana esperienza che ti fa essere uno zingaro con una troupe al seguito. Ma Abigail ha un che di naturale nella recitazione che io non avevo e che mi è costata anni e anni di lavoro''.
''Dicono che i peggiori incubi sul set per un regista siano i bambini e gli animali, noi avevamo entrambi - commentano i registi - Abigail in realtà non ci ha dato nessun problema, anzi, sapeva lei, molto più di noi, come trattare gli animali. Il peggiore attore? Il pellicano. I pellicani infatti non sono sono addomesticabili''.
Dopo L'Isola di Nim per Jodie Foster arrivano due progetti alla regia ''di cui preferisco non parlare, ogni volta che l'ho fatto, che ne ho parlato prima del tempo, è tutto finito in un nulla di fatto''.
Per Abigail Breslin invece, dopo le commedie Little Miss Sunshine, Definitely, Maybe, e Nim's Island, è arrivato il tempo di cimentarsi in un dramma, succederà in Kit Kittredge: An American Girl, pellicola ambientata nel periodo della Grande Depressione in cui interpreta Kit, bambina con la passione per la scrittura.
''La scuola mi piace, l'unica cosa che odio è la matematica, si perde troppo tempo'', dice la Jodie Foster di domani.
(ANSA)

sabry_aminta10/3/2008, 17:12
certo che Gerry lo snobbano proprio in questo articolo...due righe giusto per dover di cronaca...mi sa che non hanno visto bene il trailer( :sbav: )

gemini2119/3/2008, 17:59
Un articolo che parla di come il libro sia stato adattato per renderlo un film.

'Nim's' novel had bones, but story needed fleshing out

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/conten...8547337e1cc913c

"Nim's" novel: Adapting novels to the screen can drive writers crazy because they've got to slash lengthy plots and subplots to make them fit into a two hour movie, but that wasn't the case with "Nim's Island."

In fact, producer-writer Paula Mazur had quite the opposite problem in adapting Wendy Orr's 2002 novel because she had to expand the very short book in order to have enough story to make a movie. That challenge having been met successfully, the resulting adventure comedy from Walden Media opens wide April 4 via 20th Century Fox.

Directed by the husband-wife team of Mark Levin and Jennifer Flackett ("Little Manhattan"), "Nim's" is produced by Paula Mazur and executive produced by Stephen Jones. Among Mazur's many producing credits are the 1991 comedy "The Search for Signs of Intelligent Life in the Universe," starring Lily Tomlin, and the 1994 romantic comedy drama "Corrina, Corrina," starring Whoopi Goldberg and Ray Liotta. Mazur also was an executive producer of the 2002 comedy drama "The Vagina Monologues," written and directed by and starring Eve Ensler, which premiered on HBO. "Nim's" screenplay is by Levin & Flackett and by Joseph Kwong & Mazur. Starring are Abigail Breslin, Jodie Foster and Gerard Butler.

Mazur discovered Orr's book by accident while browsing in her neighborhood library. "I was looking for something to read to my children," she told me when we spoke recently. "It wasn't even the main library. It was the branch library in the Santa Monica library system and there was this beautiful new book. It hadn't been read. I was the first person to take it out -- a hardcover (book with a cover showing) a beautiful palm tree and this girl with a telescope sitting on it. I took it out and started reading it to my son, who was in second grade. It's a big print third grade chapter book. My daughter, who's three years older, wandered in. She was a fifth grader. And my husband wandered in. And every night over the course of a week we read the book.

"About six chapters in, I just really could see the film and became very possessed with the idea of making it into a movie. So I reached out to the author via the Internet and found her in Australia. I said, 'Hey, I'm writing from Hollywood and I'm wondering if the rights are available.' I got back this fantastic incredibly excited reply. The rights were available and I optioned the book and took it out (to studios to consider making). I come out of a more indie background so it was actually really fun for me to take this out and be able to hit all the studios."

This was almost five years ago. "It was one of those enviable projects where a lot of people wanted it," Mazur explained. "I was very interested in Walden Media because of their educational and library-school connection and their philosophy (of making family films). So I really wanted to do it there. And I also wanted to adapt it. I'd worked a lot with writers and had written myself, but had never made anything that I'd written and was really interested in adapting it. I had some interesting ideas on how to take this tale and make it work in a motion picture realm. Everybody seemed OK with that. I was able to make a deal with Walden, which was my first choice. Other people, including Fox, really wanted it. And then when Fox and Walden made a five-picture deal and they found out that Walden had 'Nim's' they came on board, as well."

Adapting the book became the first order of business for Mazur: "Joe Kwong, a fellow writer, and I did the first several drafts of it. It's a story of destiny and mistaken identity. The thing that we had the most fun with was playing with the mistaken identity pieces of it and how the characters kind of imagine each other to be who they're not. That was really how we first took it a step beyond what the actual novel was."

Orr's book, she pointed out, is "probably a little over a hundred pages, but it's a big print, third grade chapter book fare. So the story was actually very slim. The bones of the story were there and beautifully wrought. It's a gorgeous gem of a story about these three people who are destined to be together, but it definitely needed to be filled out. I'm adapting a book called 'Tangerine' now (the 1997 novel by Edward Bloor that Mazur's adapting and Danny DeVito is to direct) and it's 300 pages and a script is kind of the equivalent of 50 (book pages) so I'm just (dealing with the reverse situation). How do you get it down? It's a really well-known,

Asked how she and Kwong worked together while writing, Mazur told me, "Actually, Joe Kwong lives in '415 land' (San Francisco) so he came down (to L.A.) and we did a very elaborate outline, which Walden then approved. And then we wrote via e-mail, as one can only do these days. Ten years ago this wouldn't have been possible. I was the first writer and I would write 10 pages and send it off (and then another) 10 pages and send it off. He was behind me doing the second pass that I didn't read until I was done. And then we'd polish it up and get it in shape to deliver a first draft together.

"We hadn't (written together before). He was in my car one day and I said, 'Oh, I just got this fabulous book' and he said, 'Let me read it.' He read it and we started talking about it and completely saw the potential of it the same way. And that's how we embarked together."

How long did it take for them to finish their first draft? "I think it was 12 weeks," she replied. "You have those predetermined deadlines (in writing contracts). It was 12 or 16 weeks. Once we finished the draft of the outline and it was approved we had a very specific amount of time to do it. It's terrifying because I feel like the first draft you're just getting a handle on who the characters are, what parts of the story are working well and what needs to be shored up in the next draft. So the first draft just feels like a very initial step to me."

After Walden read their first draft, she continued, "they gave excellent notes, frankly, which is a complete pleasure when that happens. We went to a couple more drafts after that. We took the draft pretty far structurally into what it was going to be."

The film's directing team wasn't on board yet at that point. "And then as a producer working with Walden, (I) started to think about what is the next step to take this project further," Mazur said. "The idea for me of writer-directors to come in and take the draft home and direct it was really attractive. And that's when Mark Levin and Jennifer Flackett came out with the movie called 'Little Manhattan' (the 2005 family comedy drama starring Cynthia Nixon), which I saw and Alex Schwartz who was at Walden had seen it and both of us went like, 'Let's see if they're interested.' They were. They got it. They've been fantastic collaborators on this. It was tricky because I'd been a writer and they were coming in as writers. The great thing about it was really seeing a very similar movie and being able to dive off the same diving board."

By the fall of '06 they had a draft that was ready to cast. "I think you have to start with a really good script," she observed, "otherwise you're not going to attract the cast that you want. But I feel that casting is absolutely critical to making the movie you want to make and having the characters that you've written inhabited by actors who can really bring them to life. What happened was Jodie's agent, Joe Funicello at ICM, slipped her the script and she really responded to it. It was a chance for her to do a family film (and) a chance for her to do comedy and she actually pursued us, which was just heaven.

"We really felt that if Jodie would come on board as the Alexandra character (the reclusive writer of the Alex Rover adventure books that young Nim, played by Abigail Breslin, calls on for help when her beautiful island is threatened) we would have a really classy film and a film that could become a classic as she's just such a brilliant actress. There wasn't a lot of recent comedy (that Foster had done) to point to, but when we spoke with her she just seemed to so get the material. We felt that if she felt she could nail the comedy, which she did, her chops as an actress were so phenomenal that she would make the character extremely believable and real as well as someone who's doing kind of pratfalling slapsticky comedy at moments, which she did."

After Foster signed on they focused on casting the role of Nim: "Nim is the most important character to me. It was such a great opportunity to take a female character like this into the world. She is just a game, can-do, very empowered girl who feels almost nongender. I felt it was great for everybody to see this type of character on the screen. This type of character is not available very much and it was very exciting to think that we could put Nim on the screen. The joint feeling was that we would do a worldwide search (and do) whatever it took. We would (look around the world) for the right Nim.

"We had a lot of flexibility (because) her mother died when she was 2 and you don't really see her mom. She could be multicultural. We felt very free in casting it however we wanted to. And then we saw 'Little Miss Sunshine' and we went from, 'OK, we'll circle the globe for the right girl' to 'Let's hire Abigail Breslin.' Abigail read the script and she just really loved the character and she really wanted to be in a film with sea lions. So the combination was really potent."

Gerard Butler was cast in the film's third key role as both Nim's real father and her fictional idol Alex Rover. "We had initially toyed with the idea even in the first draft that I wrote that Nim's father Jack and the action adventure hero in the movie, Alex Rover, were very similar or possibly the same character. And various people along the way brought (the idea) up. Jodie brought it up. But we never landed on an actor we felt could do both. And '300' came out right around this time (and became a blockbuster). So it was very clear that if we could get Gerard Butler he could definitely do the action adventure character. And then I took out a (2004 drama) called 'Dear Frankie' that he had been in and it was this heart-rending story. (It's) a small Scottish independent film about this guy who becomes a dad just for a weekend and he's just not the type to do that. And he was brilliant in it. That was it for me. It just became my crusade to get Gerard Butler to play both characters.

"He was very interested in doing that, this kind of tour-de-force of the two characters. It was one of those deals that everybody walks away from the table and you can't get it made. Jodie's and Abigail's (deals) were much easier. But Gerry was like everybody was there, everybody was gone, everybody came back to the table, everybody left the table. And then I finally got a call from Alan Siegel, his manager, one day when everybody but I had given up. I was in a meeting with the costume designer and the directors and the phone rang and it was Alan and he goes, 'Are you available for lunch today?' I hung up the phone and I said, 'There's hope yet.' We went and met in a restaurant and we wrote on napkins what we could do to inform this deal. Since we wanted it to happen and Gerry wanted it to happen we had to somehow push the deal through. And that was the beginning of the beginning of the new beginning. Based on that we were able to push through yet again and make a deal with Gerry. He's just fantastic in both roles."

Shooting began July 31, 2007: "We really had a ticking clock because once we made a deal with Jodie it was a pay or play deal and it was her summer film. It wasn't like we could push it off for a couple of months. This was really locked in. So we had to get ourselves on a plane somewhere and start making the movie. It was a substantial prep on the film because it was animals and children and water."

Those, of course, are the three things that veteran filmmakers always warn against including in any movie. "We had them all," Mazur sighed. "So we landed in Australia, where I always hoped to make the movie because they have a great film infrastructure and they had all these gorgeous locations for the world's most beautiful island, which is ostensibly what Nim lives on. We did a lot of preproduction here. The directors and I were actually in preproduction in our own minds from September of '06. We in our minds started pre-preproduction and we just acted as though we were making the movie. Every day we'd wake up and make the movie a little bit more in some way. By February of '07 we were really in as high gear as you can be without being green lit. We ended up getting green lit in April. We were on a plane mid-May.

"We actually scouted via the Internet and we hit the ground and basically went on a scout because we had to approve the locations (that had been found online). It was kind of a gamble because we did select Australia based on other people's scouting, but us not actually seeing it with our own eyes and only seeing it via Internet because of all the stuff that we were doing here (like) casting, production design, costume design that kept us stateside. So we got on a plane and got off the plane and got on another plane to go to Far North Queensland where we scouted by helicopter and plane near the Great Barrier Reef and just the most beautiful places on the planet, which was beyond fantastic."

Looking back at the biggest challenges of production, Mazur noted, "Once we got our cast set, I think the most challenging part of making the movie was the animals because Australia, where we chose to shoot, has a very a strong environmental program in place. You can't bring in any of the animals to Australia. So even though I found sea lions in London, who were going to be airlifted somewhere, when it became clear that we were shooting in Australia we couldn't bring those sea lions (in) because they would have spent the entire shoot in quarantine. So we had to find sea lions in Australia. We actually had done everything to make Australia work. We worked out our deals and where we were going to shoot and all these different things, but we didn't have a guarantee from Sea World yet that we could have their sea lions. The shoot ended up relying on two sea lions from Sea World being released to us. We went to the highest levels of the corporations.

"We went to the premier of the province (and begged), 'Help us bring this movie in and please get us these sea lions from Sea World.' Sea World is located about an hour south of Brisbane and we were shooting in a studio that was about 20 minutes from there. They had very well-trained sea lions there and we had an excellent animal coordinator, Katie Brock, in Australia putting this all together. She had worked at Sea World and ultimately they decided that they wanted to re-do their sea lion enclosure so they gave us the sea lions and we said, 'OK, we get to go to Australia.' Then they changed their mind and decided to shift their schedule and we were like, 'No, no. You can't do that. We have a gazillion dollar film coming in.' We did that pressure thing. I talked to everybody in Australia and said, 'Please get them to give us the sea lions' -- which they did."

But even that wasn't the end of the problem. "Everything that we had planned -- like we would have these sea lions and we would take them to this island in Far North Queensland where we were shooting and we would romp on the beach with them and Jodie and Abigail and Gerard -- all fell part because it turned out that you can't take sea lions by the water because they'll jump in and they'll swim away and you won't have your sea lions any more," she continued. "So we had to create this rainforest and island beach environment on a soundstage. That was a real shift. I think that was the most challenging thing -- two months before shooting really shift the game plan.

"We built an enclosure for them at the studio with a beautiful swimming pool and a little house for them. It was better than they'd have in the wealthiest zoo in the world. It was fabulous. We could take them on to the soundstages but we couldn't take them off the studio lot. So we had to create the most beautiful island in the world on the soundstage and create some beach on the clear section of the studio, which Barry Robison, our very talented production designer ('Wedding Crashers') did so brilliantly. I think we hauled in 400 or 500 trees onto this stage with like seven tons of dirt."

Shooting took place over the course of 11 weeks and, she said, the schedule was "very tight. Toward the end when we had to jam it all in, we had three units going simultaneously."

All told, Mazur said, reflecting on making the movie, "Walden was a terrific partner and I feel that we made the movie I originally saw when I read the book. And that, I think, is the most rewarding part." To which she added with a laugh, "And now I lay in bed at night and hope that everybody comes to see it!"

arielcips19/3/2008, 20:38
Il nostro supergerryyyyy colpisce ancora!!!!

gemini2126/3/2008, 22:24
Dal film sono state tagliate alcune scene con Nim che verranno inserite nel dvd:

Nim Cut Fantasy Characters

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.php?category=0&id=50813

The directors of the upcoming fantasy film Nim's Island told reporters that some of the fantasy elements seen in early trailers were cut from the final film but will appear on the DVD.

"There are scenes that were cut, and they'll all be out in the DVD," co-director Mark Levin said in a news conference in Los Angeles earlier this month. Those include scenes between Nim, the young girl at the center of the movie, played by Abigail Breslin, and some imaginary friends (the film is based on the popular children's book by Wendy Orr).

"Nim had some imaginary friends that lived in her imagination, [including] Huck Finn and Alice in Wonderland from the books, who kind of brought to life the idea of a girl who lived on an island and what her imagination must be like," said Levin, who co-directed the film with his wife, Jennifer Flackett. "But when we made the movie and then we shot them and saw them in the context of the movie, we realized that the girl alone, and her aloneness, made her situation much more poignant, and it just drove the story better."

The story centers on Nim, who lives on an island with her father (Gerard Butler). When dad disappears, Nim seeks the help of a reclusive author (played by Jodie Foster), who created one of Nim's favorite action heroes.

Flackett added: "It's always sad when you leave characters on the floor. Jodie had an assistant and, in this same kind of way, you just realize these characters were meant to be by themselves. And so they all fell away, and you're amazed because you killed yourself to shoot those scenes! Now they're not in the movie anymore."

Flackett said the movie still feels fantastical. "There's a magical realism that, I think, kind of permeates the movie, and there is this idea of a world that is slightly better than real," she said. "And that has a little bit to do with the storybook quality and the wish fulfillment of the movie."

An early trailer depicts one of the imaginary characters who didn't make the final cut. "Long John Silver [is] in an early trailer, actually," Levin said. "Her friends, who were Huck and Alice and Long John Silver from Treasure Island, were the embodiment of her fears. So in a couple of scenes, he'd show up in a story and shout at her, or there would be a scene where he'd come in the woods, and she'd try to fight him off."

Flackett added: "We were most sad to lose the sword fights!"

Nim's Island opens nationwide on April 4.

sabry_aminta27/3/2008, 12:52
beh,per fortuna in qualche modo le vedremo comunque ^_^
Per quanto riguarda l'articolo precedente...aaaah The Stranger fa ancora strage di consensi(e di cuori) :wub:

gemini2127/3/2008, 21:43
Nim Stars Did Some Stunts

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.php?category=0&id=51110

Abigail Breslin and Jodie Foster, the stars of the upcoming fantasy film Nim's Island, enjoyed performing their own pratfalls and stunts. Foster told reporters in a news conference that she did many of her own stunts, including falling out of a rowboat and getting tangled on a treadmill.

"The rowboat is me," Foster said. "All the rowboat is me, coming down in the rowboat and all of that."

The biggest challenge for the two-time Oscar-winning actress and her 11-year-old co-star was an underwater fantasy sequence, which also included Gerard Butler as an action hero.

"I think the biggest challenge for all of us--Gerry, myself and Abigail, too--was the stuff we did in the tank," Foster said. "It was 3 in the morning, and it was Australia in the winter. And it was cold, and there was a lot of underwater stuff, lot of days of underwater stuff."

In the film adaptation of Wendy Orr's children's novel, Foster plays a reclusive author who is sought out by a young girl (Breslin) to try to help find her missing father (Butler).

The movie required action from all its principals. "I was supposed to be swimming underneath water and looking around, and there was a camera underneath there, so that was pretty scary," Breslin said. "There was a black tent that was over the water for one scene and a metal pole and these huge tires, so that got a little bit scary."

Breslin also did some rock climbing and even sat in a tall treehouse with Foster. "But some of that was in a studio with a green screen behind it," Breslin said.

Directed by Jennifer Flackett and Mark Levin, Nim's Island opens on April 4. --Mike Szymanski

jiujiu27/3/2008, 23:35
ho letto gli ultimi articoli...e ho trovato interessantissimo leggere come hanno scelto gegio nostro..( ahh, strangerrrr :occhilucidi: )

arielcips31/3/2008, 09:11
Uhmm..in questa intervista tutta la prima parte è dedicata a Chicagoe al rapporto di Gerry con questa città...nonchè con una ragazza che vi abitava..(grrr)...Poi si parla di Nim's e del fatto che quando ha cominciato a girare era già ammalato per una bronchite presa durante le riprese di Rocknrolla...dopodichè s'è definitivamente ucciso i polmoni...
Divertente anche l'ultima battuta relativa agli animali sul set...che sembrano guardarlo per dirgli: 'Ehi Gerry...stai alla larga'...Forse perchè non gli era piaciuto 300?

http://www.suntimes.com/entertainment/movi...utler30.article

'Island' not so tropical after all

MOVIES | Still, Butler soaks up the fun of his new film
March 30, 2008

BY CINDY PEARLMAN

'Hey, I like Chicago," Gerard Butler is saying. "I'm a city guy."

"I've worked in Chicago and hung out in Chicago. I had a girlfriend who lived at the Taylor Street projects," says the 38-year-old Scottish screen hunk. "I would stay at the projects with her, and had the time of my life. I was this guy from Glasgow who just walked around the projects with attitude."

"I have to say that I was never hassled," says the man who saved Sparta as King Leonidas in "300." "I think life is all about attitude. And maybe I didn't notice if someone was about to hassle me at the projects. I was too busy kissing my beautiful girlfriend."

Butler is bringing his charm and attitude now to "Nim's Island," opening Friday. He plays a scientist, who, after the death of his wife, moves with his pre-teen daughter (Abigail Breslin of "Little Miss Sunshine") to a deserted island. When he is lost at sea, his daughter e-mails her favorite fiction book action character (Jodie Foster, as the book's author), who must fight her fears of leaving her house to save the little girl.

"It's sweet, funny and adventurous, but also a little dark at times," Butler says. "But in the end, the film has a nice message about courage and creating your own destiny. The message also is, 'You must get up off your a$$ in this life and do something in order to save yourself.' "

It wasn't easy for Butler to save himself on this shoot. Most of his scenes are spent lost at sea, where he's in the freezing cold ocean repeatedly.

"All of us were put through the mill on this one," he says. "It just became a joke. For me, I didn't realize exactly how much time I would spend in the water, and most of my boat stuff was done at sea.

"We filmed in Australia during the winter and I came to this set already sick with a chest thing from filming the new Guy Ritchie film 'RocknRolla.' Then I end up in this freezing ocean water where I thought I'd definitely get pneumonia," he says.

"I was soaking wet for most of my scenes. And the sea was bloody choppy. A few times my entire body went under the main tour ship we were using for the cameras. The current began to take me out. And you couldn't hold onto anything."

The film is also a virtual animal festival. "If the trainers were around, the animals were friendly, although the gigantic birds were hard to control," he shudders. "Abigail was great with the sea lions. I didn't feel like I could go over to a sea lion and give it a cuddle.

"To me, they looked so dangerous, and their teeth looked very sharp. They also weighed three or four times more than me. They looked at me like, 'Gerry, stay away.' Maybe they didn't like '300.' "

Big Picture News Inc.

sabry_aminta31/3/2008, 10:14
CITAZIONE I was too busy kissing my beautiful girlfriend."

ma dice queste cose per farci schiattare tutte??

CITAZIONE I came to this set already sick with a chest thing from filming the new Guy Ritchie film 'RocknRolla.' Then I end up in this freezing ocean water where I thought I'd definitely get pneumonia,

ma poverino...evidentemente le siringhe di Madonna non erano state abbastanza efficaci :mmm:

CITAZIONE They looked at me like, 'Gerry, stay away.' Maybe they didn't like '300.'

:lol: :lol:

gemini2131/3/2008, 12:28
Jodie Foster destinata all'isola di Nim

http://www.fantasymagazine.it/notizie/8800/

Nell'imminente Alla ricerca dell'isola di Nim, i figli di Jodie Foster hanno avuto un ruolo fondamentale per la decisione di partecipare alla realizzazione

Jodie Foster che avrà un ruolo da co-protagonista nell’imminente film fantasy Nim's Island (Alla ricerca dell'isola di Nim), ha rivelato ai giornalisti di aver capito d’essere coinvolta nel progetto quando Charles, il figlio più grande di nove anni (il più piccolo, Kit, ne ha sette) ha letto il libro di Wendy Orr (http://www.wendyorr.com/) da cui la vicenda è tratta.

Foster ha voluto partecipare a un film che i suoi figli possono vedere senza dover dare loro troppe spiegazioni "È divertente, perché il libro ha realmente cambiato la vita di Charlie” ha detto l’attrice. "Il più piccolo non legge ancora, ma sta imparando. Prende in mano i volumi e riconosce le prime lettere. E’ sulla buona strada."

Foster ha detto che il messaggio per i bambini è di entrare in contatto con la natura, e che i suoi figli sono entusiasti di vedere la proiezione, dal momento che sono stati fortemente coinvolti dalla lettura del libro (al punto da saltare spesso la cena per non dover interrompere).

Nel romanzo di Wendy Orr, L'isola di Nim viene pubblicato in Italia da Salani nel 2001, Nim vive con suo padre Jack su un'isola deserta, i suoi amici sono un leone e un'iguana. Un giorno il padre di Nim parte in barca per una delle sue ricerche scientifiche e lascia Nim in compagnia dei suoi amici e di un libro di Alex Rover (Jodie Foster), una scrittrice di avventure che non ha mai lasciato la sua stanza. Alex spedisce un messaggio e-mail a Jack, dopo aver letto un suo articolo: Nim le risponde e le due diventano amiche di tastiera, anche se la scrittrice crede di aver a che fare con una bambina molto fantasiosa. Nel frattempo Jack si imbatte in una tremenda tempesta, e avverte Nim dell'uragano in arrivo. Alex capisce che Nim è davvero su un'isola deserta e decide di raggiungerla proprio mentre l'uragano si avvicina all'isola.

Nell’adattamento cinematografico Nim è Abigail Breslin (la piccola protagonista di Little Miss Sunshine), la parte del padre è di Gerard Butler (300). Il film è diretto dai coniugi Jennifer Flackett e Mark Levin (Innamorarsi a Manhattan), che del film sono anche gli sceneggiatori (Journey to the Center of the Earth 3D http://www.fantasymagazine.it/notizie/5685/.)

La Produttrice del film è Paula Mazur (Una Moglie per Papà) e il produttore esecutivo è Stephen Jones (Superman Returns).

Le riprese del film sono state effettuate sulle spiagge sabbiose della Gold Coast e nella lussureggiante foresta pluviale di Hinchinbrook Island, in Australia.

Il film uscirà in Italia l’11 di aprile. Qui potete vedere il trailer.

http://www.moviemax.it/scheda_film.php?i=33

jiujiu31/3/2008, 13:08
CITAZIONE CITAZIONE
I was too busy kissing my beautiful girlfriend."

ma dice queste cose per farci schiattare tutte??

sicuro! -_-

CITAZIONE They looked at me like, 'Gerry, stay away.' Maybe they didn't like '300.'

beh, li stroncavano cavalli ed elefanti senza complimenti..non si sa mai.. :lol:

gemini21
view post Posted on 10/4/2008, 19:38

Un'intervista a Jodie Foster sulla Stampa:

Jodie Foster, paladina del pianeta

http://www.lastampa.it/redazione/cmsSezion...31766girata.asp

Scrittrice di romanzi per bambini nel suo ultimo fantasy ambientalista, l'attrice rivela: «Questo film è il primo film in cui recito che è stato visto dai miei figli»
L’eroina Jodie Foster, la donna che tiene testa al cattivissimo Hannibal Lecter nel film che le è valso il suo secondo Oscar, «Il silenzio degli innocenti», si scopre timorosa di tutto, piena di fobie e terrorizzata dalla folla.

L’attrice sarà al cinema con Alla ricerca dell’Isola di Nim, che esce in oltre 300 copie distribuito dalla Moviemax, la commedia fantasy ambientalista in cui interpreta una scrittrice di romanzi per bambini di grande successo, insicura e terrorizzata da ogni cosa, che va in soccorso di una sua fan (Abigail Breslin) alla ricerca del padre scomparso in circostanze misteriose (Gerard Butler). La timida scrittrice deve affrontare insieme alla bambina mille peripezie, quasi fosse una novella Indiana Jones in versione comica. «Dopo 15 anni dall’ultima commedia finalmente ho trovato una storia leggera che mi piaceva veramente - ha spiegato l’attrice durante una conferenza stampa romana. Ho letto la sceneggiatura e ho bussato a molte porte per trovare chi accettasse di produrre un film del genere. È stato difficile perchè in pochi credevano che sarei stata credibile in un ruolo leggero. In questo caso - aggiunge - la scommessa era doppia perchè anche il mio partner, Gerard Butler, è famoso per parti da eroe drammatico. Ci siamo divertiti molto a prenderci in giro proprio in quei ruoli che ci hanno resi celebri».

Jodie Foster ammette che «i tempi della commedia sono diversi da quelli dei film drammatici che interpreto abitualmente, ma il mio modo di recitare è basato sull’istinto e anche questa volta ho cercato di affrontare il personaggio cercando di non pensare troppo». Il film fantasy è indirizzato ai bambini.

«Questo film lancia un messaggio importante - ha spiegato l’attrice -: dobbiamo farci paladini del pianeta e della terra. Un messaggio ambientalista che inviti tutti a prendersi cura del mondo in cui viviamo». Visto il genere cinematografico, il messaggio lanciato e la leggerezza del tema, Jodie Foster ha ammesso che «questo è il primo film in cui recito che è stato visto dai miei figli, in cui sono stati sul set e hanno assistito alla prima». Per stare con loro e per riposarsi dopo il tour de force che ha dovuto affrontare per i due film usciti quest’anno - Il buio nell’anima e Alla ricerca dell’Isola di Nim - l’attrice conferma di aver intenzione di fermarsi un pò. «Non farò film per qualche tempo, ma questo non significa che starò con le mani in mano: mi sto dedicando alla sceneggiatura e sto lavorando a vari progetti per il prossimo film in cui sarò sicuramente regista e una delle produttrici. Il progetto su Leni Riefensthal? Ci sto lavorando - ha aggiunto - e spero sinceramente che decolli presto».

Jodie Foster, 46 anni, da 42 sul set, appare molto dura dietro un aspetto gentile. Nessuna concessione, quindi, alle curiosità sulla sua vita privata. Al "Festival del Cinema Gay" di Torino c’è un documentario su di lei, eletta icona omosessuale? «Non ne so nulla, ma sono spaventatissima all’idea di essere un’icona», la secca risposta. Clooney si dice un sostenitore convinto di Obama alla presidenza Usa? «La mia fede democratica è nota, come si può leggere su molti siti internet. Tutto qua. Per il resto credo che le mie idee politiche siano solo mie e, senza entrare nel merito delle scelte dei miei colleghi, non voglio parlare di questo», la deludente risposta.

view post Posted on 11/4/2008, 14:58

He's a lion that I am proud to hunt

Group:
Moderatore globale

Articolo comparso sul Giornale di oggi

Jodie Foster: "Finalmente ho fatto un film da vedere con i miei figli"

Roma - ’E figlie so’ figlie, diceva napoletanamente Eduardo De Filippo. E a modo suo, con la semplicità degli artisti di talento, l’americana Jodie Foster ieri ha confessato d’essersi confezionata un film su misura, pensando ai suoi due figli piccoli, oltre che alle famiglie, target trascurato dai produttori. «Erano quindici anni che desideravo stare più vicina ai miei bambini, anche attraverso il cinema. Alla ricerca dell’Isola di Nim, infatti, è il primo film che ho potuto andare a vedere, in sala con loro. È vero, negli anni Settanta ho interpretato un bel po’ di pellicole Disney e i miei figli ancora non c’erano. Ma avevo in mente qualcosa di naturale, con dentro gli animali, l’avventura», spiega sorridendo l’ex-bambina Coppertone (a tre anni, Jodie appariva già sui cartelloni pubblicitari, per reclamizzare una crema solare: era lei la piccola sotto il sole cocente).

Dopo una quarantina di film, qualche Oscar (ricordiamo quello per Il silenzio degli innocenti, nel 1991, con Anthony Hopkins), vari Golden Globe e soddisfazioni professionali, sia come regista sia come attrice, questa brillante laureata di Yale ora si rivolge alla platea junior. Da oggi, infatti, è possibile vederla alle prese con lucciole e pellicani, leoni marini e draghi barbuti nel fantasy di Mark Levin e Jennifer Flackett, i coniugi registi che si sono ispirati alla favola di Wendy Orr, L’isola di Nim (Nord-Sud Edizioni) per cucirle addosso l’insolita parte comica d’una scrittrice nevrotica, spaventata dall’esterno. «Qual è il messaggio che trasmette la mia Alexandra ai giovani? Occorre cercare l’eroe dentro di sé, elaborando in positivo la paura di sentirsi soli, o l’istinto di sopravvivenza», dice Jodie, ieri all’Auditorium in veste di cineprofessoressa davanti a una selezionata platea di studenti capitolini.

Ringiovanita, dopo essersi scatenata tra le iguane, sulle spiagge sabbiose della Gold Coast e tra gli alberi d’una foresta pluviale australiana, insieme ad Abigail Breslin (Nim, la bimba che vive felice su un’isola deserta, con suo padre) la celebrità, che domenica sarà ospite di Fabio Fazio, ha risposto con affetto alle domande degli adolescenti. «Fare un film è come scalare una montagna», spiega Jodie, che non a caso porterà sul grande schermo la vera storia di Leni Riefenstahl, la regista e attrice (erroneamente nota soltanto come ninfa Egeria di Hitler, di fatto cineasta ancor oggi moderna), amante delle scalate in alta quota. «E dopo ogni film, se ho esperito cose interessanti, con un gruppo di persone, ne vengo fuori con i sensi più all’erta, come rivoluzionata dall’interno. Sì, girare un film può cambiarti la vita. A volte più, a volte meno», chiarisce Jodie, luminosa con la camicetta bianca sui pantaloni neri fascianti. «Avevo sei anni quando cominciai ad andare in tivù, né potevo credere che un attore potesse fare, contemporaneamente, il regista. Tempo dopo, mi sarei cimentata nel doppio ruolo, interpretando e dirigendo Il mio piccolo genio. Di solito scelgo cosa fare quando, dopo aver letto la sceneggiatura, mi dico: ma questa cosa mi tocca? E perché?», risponde a Silvia, dell’Istituto «Einstein».

Le domande planano puntuali, nel compunto silenzio del pomeriggio con diva, scandite a dispetto del ferretto. «È piacevole rispondere alle domande dei ragazzi: le trovo interessanti. Sono abituata al ruolo d’insegnante, avendo tenuto corsi di cinema all’Università di New York e presso l’Ucla», fa notare la Foster, finora abbinata a ruoli di donna alle prese col panico (Panic Room), con i terroristi (nel thriller Flightplan) o con la feccia di New York (Il buio nell’anima). Infatti Roberta, dell’Istituto «Roberto Rossellini», sulle fobie personali va a stuzzicarla, visto che in questo fantasy la sua Alexandra soffre di agorafobia. «Ho una serie di piccole paure, sebbene mi piaccia fare cose, potenzialmente rischiose, come sciare o arrampicarmi sulle montagne. Ma una paura non riesco a vincere: quella dello shopping. Come entro in un negozio, dopo cinque minuti devo uscire: è più forte di me, devo andar via!». Sorprendente, Jodie, anche in tale sua repulsione all’acquisto, così diversa dalla massa. Così diva, mentre ama i bambini e detesta le merci.

Gerry non è neanche nominato... <_<

gemini21
view post Posted on 11/4/2008, 19:29

Acc.. una parola su Gerry potevano sprecarla però!

Dalla conferenza stampa italiana:

http://filmup.leonardo.it/speciale/lisoladinim/int01.htm

10 Aprile 2008 - Conferenza stampa
"Alla ricerca dell'isola di Nim"

Intervista a Jodie Foster.
di Francesco Lomuscio

In occasione dell'uscita italiana di "Alla ricerca dell'isola di Nim", che la vede impegnata in un atipico ruolo brillante, l'attrice premio Oscar Jodie Foster ha accolto a Roma la stampa.

Visto che ha cominciato molto presto a recitare, quale è stato il suo rapporto con la piccola Abigail Breslin?

Jodie Foster: Innanzitutto, Abigail è una bambina meravigliosa, eccezionale, e per me è sempre divertente lavorare con piccoli attori che attraversano un po' la mia stessa carriera, sono esperienze che mi riportano indietro nel tempo. In un certo senso, anche i percorsi dei nostri personaggi sono speculari, perché è come se Nim e Alexandra fossero la stessa persona.

Come mai non fa più commedie?
Jodie Foster: Devo dire che erano ben quindici anni, dai tempi di "Maverick", che cercavo di fare qualcosa di leggero, simile alla commedia. Ovviamente, i ruoli drammatici rappresentano una parte importante della mia vita, ma in questo film mi sono divertita molto; con Gerard Butler, poi, ciò che ci ha divertiti è stato il prenderci in giro.

Quanto c'è di avventuroso in lei? Ha delle fobie come il personaggio di Alexandra?
Jodie Foster: No, devo dire che sono l'esatto contrario di Alexandra, perché non ho particolari fobie. Per quanto riguarda l'essere avventurosa, mi piace scalare montagne e fare altro del genere, poi, però, torno a casa per farmi una doccia.

Tramite questo film, pensa di ampliare con i suoi figli il dialogo sull'avventura?
Jodie Foster: Devo dire che, grazie a questo film, i miei figli hanno potuto vedermi recitare e hanno avuto perfino la possibilità di venirmi a far visita sul set; tra l'altro, prima di vederlo avevano letto il libro. Per esempio, nel caso de "Il buio nell'anima" non avrebbero potuto vedere neanche lo spot.

Secondo lei, quale messaggio vuole trasmettere questo film ai ragazzi?
Jodie Foster: Credo che questo film contenga un fantastico messaggio relativo al fatto che bisogna essere paladini e difensori del proprio pianeta, perché se ci si prende cura del pianeta, poi lui si prenderà cura di noi. Inoltre, invita le donne a essere indipendenti e a prendersi cura di sé stesse, oltre a mostrare ai bambini un mondo reale che oggi, tra laser e robot, si è un po' perso.

Quale è il suo rapporto dentro e fuori lo star system? Crede che a Hollywood sia avvenuto un cambiamento, tenendo in considerazione anche i premi Oscar consegnati negli ultimi anni alle produzioni indipendenti?

Jodie Foster: Sono ben quarantadue anni che faccio parte di questo settore; più che di cambiamenti diciamo che si può parlare di fasi che si ripresentano di volta in volta, secondo me riconducibili all'aspetto finanziario, non da ricercare nella cerimonia degli Oscar. Ma non credo che a Hollywood esista una sorta di complotto dello star system.

view post Posted on 4/5/2008, 16:33

He's a lion that I am proud to hunt

Group:
Administrator

Su Gb net hanno pubblicato questa ennesima intervista a Gerry:

Gerard Butler Q & A (Blog)
Category: Misc./General Career News
Article Date: May 4, 2008 | Publication: Devon & Cornwall Blog | Author: Staff
Source: Devon and Cornwall Film

Gerard Butler Q & A (Blog)
Category: Misc./General Career News
Article Date: May 4, 2008 | Publication: Devon & Cornwall Blog | Author: Staff
Source: Devon and Cornwall Film
Posted by: DaisyMay

Adventuring, at least in movies, for Gerard Butler, seems to be in his blood, what with Lara Kroft Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life, Timeline, Reign of Fire and 300 under his belt. But the Scottish actor is getting he feet wet in good ole family entertainment in not one but two roles in Nim’s Island, which was released on Friday. Here’s a Q&A with the actor.

Talk about the two characters you play in the film, Jack and Alex Rover?
Jack is Nim’s dad. He’s a scientist who is crazy, passionate about the smallest things in life. Jack has huddled up and stowed himself away in this island that he really doesn’t want anyone to know the whereabouts of, so they can live their life in peace. Nim and Jack have a great relationship. They are best friends. Jack gets himself into a bit of trouble by going out on one too many adventures. Alex Rover himself is an adventurer, who kind of lives as an alter ego to Jodie Foster’s Alexandra Rover. He is the epitome of courage, motivation, inspiration and good humor.

How did it come about that you were considered for both roles?
I never went in for either but they offered me one role and my agent said, he’s not going to do that but why don’t you offer him both roles and then it might be a more tempting proposition’. So they said, ‘OK, we will do that.’ Then when I read the script, we all agreed it could not have been anything different, that one person to play both roles just seemed like the perfect way to go about this and get more into that fantastical element of the story. So that’s when I decided to come aboard.

How tough was it to play both parts? Were you switching between the two on the same day?

Very rarely, but it was unavoidable. They made me a promise; look, we are really going to avoid you having to play both roles in the same day as much as possible, but there are going to come times when we are going to be adding a bit of a false beard here with a hair plucker there! There were times when we were wiping off a seven-minute sunburn and then putting on seven minutes more, or we’d be putting on the wig, taking off the wig. In fact, there was one time when I had to swap twice. I had to have the wig on, and then change to Jack and take the wig off then go back to Alex Rover and have the wig on and that was a huge pain in the ass!

How did you approach playing such a swash-buckling character like Alex Rover: seriously or tongue-in cheek?

It was a bit of both. There were times when it was tongue-in-cheek and times where it was serious. There were moments for instance when I’m dealing with Nim or towards the end with Alexandra that it gets far more intimate and meaningful. Although it was a serious message, it was delivered in a very fun way. The second Jodie and I got together and started playing these parts, we realized that this was how it had to be done. You always try to play it in same respect usually, but you understand that there is humor lying in there and you cannot get too heavy with it. It doesn’t need that. The message is better passed on by lightening it up.

Can you talk about the specific challenges for each role?

The biggest challenge was gauging it right, especially between both of us and not going too far to the comedic side and making these roles caricature, but at the same time, not getting too heavy with them. For Jack, I think it was just dealing with the sea. It was winter in Australia, so there was a cold wind blowing in there and there were times when I was standing all day just soaking wet – not even wet – but soaking wet because the scenes I was doing I had just been in the water. So literally, I had to be dripping with water. Either water falling off me, or I was lying in cold water at the bottom of the boat because supposedly I had just been knocked out. I spent a lot of time lying in freezing water, or diving into the sea, which was freezing. Of course, I could not have anything on like a wet suit, so that was a bit of a pain in the ass. Some of it was in the studio, but even in the studio when you are just sitting about, nothing is worse than being in wet clothes unless it is a hundred degrees and even then, it is a pain in the ass. It never was a hundred degrees. On the sea, I felt like I was in a refrigerator at times.

Jack is quite the fixer and very self-reliant. How are you in that department?

I’m clueless. I was thinking that I better never get lost at sea. If anything were to happen to me out at sea, I would be so lost. I don’t know if I would be more scared of dying or just embarrassed at how hopeless I was. Fixing things is not my thing, which is weird because as a kid I was great at that sort of thing, but somewhere along the line, I must have quit.

Have you spent much time on the water sailing?

I have not really spent much time sailing. I have sailed a little bit and when we were in Australia I sailed with a whole team of people around Sydney Harbor, which was the most beautiful experience, but no, in terms of knowing what I was doing on the sea, I did not at all.

You went from one extreme to another with your characters. What was that like?

I find that whenever I am doing films, I sit back and think, what did I get myself into? There are times you just suddenly get a hold of yourself and you think what the hell am I doing here? To be honest, that is a bit like me in my life. I am constantly thinking how the hell did I get here or where did this come from? You constantly evaluate the weirdness in one day and how you have swung from one thing to another. That is kind of what happens in this movie. OK, today I am out at sea freezing. OK, today I am in the studio with Jodie and I am trying to drag her out of a door. OK, today spiders are attacking me. OK, today I am being carried around by a bunch of natives. OK, just give me your best shot, whatever you have got!

Was this film a completely different energy for you compared to your other films?

Yes. I have done other films like Dear Frankie and P.S. I Love You but in some ways, the bigger, more macho roles that I do stand out more. I do a lot of different roles, but those 300-Gladiator style films are just the ones that stick more in your memory for good or bad reasons.

You’re not a dad in role life, so how did you develop that rapport with Abigail? Was it important?

It was important, but sometimes the most important thing is realizing that you don’t have to work at something. From the second we hung out we hit it off fantastically. I literally fell in love with this girl. That is the kind of girl that makes me want to have a daughter. I can hang out with this girl all day. We have so much fun. She can be my daughter. She can be my friend. She just is so cool. The first time we read, Mark Levin, the director, literally had tears flooding his eyes. He was just so happy to see us reading this together because he said we were so great together.

What was it like to work with Abigail?

She is more grown up than half of the grown ups I have worked with. And yet as much fun. My final day, Abigail painted something on canvas for me. It was beautiful and I was so touched. But when she gave it to me, part of it was not dry yet, so when I was sitting it was rubbing against me, and I had paint all over my pants. But it was beautiful that she did this painting for me but I felt bad that I ruined it!

Did you work with the pelicans, seals and sea lions like Abigail?
I did, but not as much as her. It was interesting. Sea lions are huge and they were like four times the size of Abigail. I didn’t realize how big they were until you get up close and then you can see how these things could do so much harm if they wanted to. I had to do a scene where I was running down with a massive bag towards one, and they were like, “OK, can you just stop and swing your bag over your head and put it down and get down next to the sea lion?” And I was thinking this thing is going to bite my head off if I do this! He’s this big, cumbersome, slimy thing and I’m coming down towards him with this flat thing that he probably thinks is his sister and I am coming after him and he probably wants to bite my head off. The pelican, talk about a life of its own. We never knew what that thing was going to do. I did a scene and it flew behind me instead of to my side. He was literally behind me and could have ripped my ear off. You couldn’t actually see his body because he was behind my body and he raised his wings and literally it looked like I had wings. It is hard to play a scene with a bloody pelican behind you that nips people!

How did you get along with Jodie Foster?
It was easy getting along to be honest. That woman, considering what an amazing talent she is, is so easy going. That was one of the most refreshing things about this film was to realize how cool she was and how she didn’t dominate and didn’t try to control and just let things flow, which for me is the best kind of space to work in. So we both just immediately got along and worked together great and I felt so relaxed working with her and this was just one of those things where we started doing the scenes and we were like, ‘this is awesome!’

So you were trained as a lawyer and wound up as an actor. How did that happen?

Perhaps going into the wrong career, developing a drinking problem and then following my dreams if you can ever describe all that in under 20 words, then that was pretty much it! I’d always known I wanted to get into acting, but the legal training had taken over and then things just got crazy in my life and the decision was made for me and I moved down to London and just caught a couple lucky breaks. I stepped into a film, got a manager in LA and then a couple years later came out and then just went from there.

gemini21
view post Posted on 4/5/2008, 17:16

Bellissima intervista ariel, grazie di averla postata!

CITAZIONE
My final day, Abigail painted something on canvas for me. It was beautiful and I was so touched. But when she gave it to me, part of it was not dry yet, so when I was sitting it was rubbing against me, and I had paint all over my pants. But it was beautiful that she did this painting for me but I felt bad that I ruined it!

:wub: :wub: :wub:

gemini21
view post Posted on 7/5/2008, 19:55

Un altro articolo:

NIM’S HEROES:GERARD BUTLER AS JACK AND ALEX

http://madeinatlantis.blogspot.com/2008/05...s-jack-and.html

In a story that is in part about the power of the imagination to shape who you want to be, Gerard Butler gets to play roles on both sides of the reality-fantasy divide: starring as both Nim’s brilliant, inventive scientist father who finds himself far from home and the dashing, lionhearted fictional adventurer Alex Rover, whom Nim hopescan help save them.

Although the filmmakers had originally thought of casting two separate actors in the roles, Butler, who recently came to the fore as a steely warrior in 300 and then did a romantic turn with Hilary Swank in P.S. I Love You, convinced them to take a more daring approach. “Gerry really inspired us to cast him in both roles,” explains Mark Levin, “because with him as both Jack and Alex it seemed so right and appropriate. He has the range and the charisma to be able to do justice to both characters, to show how they’re really two sides of the same coin, and that really enhances the story-book quality of the movie.

We also loved that there’s a strong tradition of this in classic stories; for example, in Peter Pan, one actor often plays both Wendy’s father and Captain Hook.” Butler reacted with great enthusiasm to the script. “I found it hard to resist,” he admits. “I thought it was so very charming and fun and adventurous. And I was very excited by the challenge of playing two characters at once.”

Each of his characters has his own unique journey. “Jack is a marine biologist with a young daughter and a broken heart,” Butler explains. “He’s a quirky character who’s mostly passionate about plankton, but he goes through something very difficult and emotional trying to get back to his daughter. And then there’s Alex, who’s the classical definition of an action hero, an Indiana Jones type. He’s bigger-than-life and full of energy and passion.

But he’s also a man who essentially only lives in others’ imaginations, so there’s a lot of humor to him, and the trick is also that he is really the alter ego of Jodie Foster’s character, Alexandra. He’s the one who has to push her to the more courageous side of life.”

The filmmakers’ excitement increased when they began to see the natural chemistry between Butler and Jodie Foster working its magic. “The scenes when Alex gets Alexandra out of her apartment are just a tour de force. They are both so funny and alive and have this great opposite energy that sets off sparks,” observes Paula Mazur.

Butler found that he held great affection for both characters, but says that, in the end, his favorite of the pair was actually the more down-to-earth Jack rather than the invincible Alex Rover. “I really enjoyed Jack because he has such a beautiful, tender relationship with his daughter. Alex was tremendous fun to play, but Jack I felt more in my heart,” he comments.

In playing Jack, Butler especially enjoyed working so closely with Abigail Breslin. “That was the best,” he muses. “She’s smart, she’s funny, she’s humble and, of course, so very talented. The only problem for me was that she had a ‘swear jar,’ and with my being a Scotsman – well, it cost me about half my salary! No matter where I was, she always heard me.” Later, in a gesture Nim herself would no doubt admire, the “swear jar” proceeds were donated by Abigail to the ASPCA.

6 replies since 3/4/2008, 19:45   226 views