Machine gun preacher - articoli e interviste

« Older   Newer »
view post Posted on 5/3/2010, 14:05

He's a lion that I am proud to hunt

Group:
Administrator

E' stata pubblicata una intervista al rev. Childers,alla cui vita e biografia si ispira il film di Gerry 'Gun machine preacher':

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/entertain...-gun-biker.html

Sam Childers is a preacher whose mission doesn’t have a lot of room for “turn the other cheek.”

“I’m not a normal pastor,” Childers says with a chuckle. “I am a soldier, a member of the SPLA [the Christian Sudanese People’s Liberation Army]. I carry a gun. I’m a freedom fighter.

“Jesus said, ‘I’m sending you out, and if you don’t have a sword, sell your traveler’s bag and buy one.’ [Luke 22:35-38] Jesus didn’t condone violence. But if somebody took your child and I told you I could get ’em back, what would you say?”

If that seems blunt, a little militant even, consider Childers’ past and his present. A biker-turned-preacher, he has an orphanage in south Sudan where he takes rescuing Sudanese children seriously, and he’s willing to take up arms to do it.

Childers, who grew up in Central Florida, is about to be the subject of a major motion picture. It’s titled Machine Gun Preacher. Macho leading man Gerard Butler Ö(300) is on board, according to the authoritative Hollywood-insider Web site Deadline.com. So is Bond and Monster’s Ball director Marc Forster, who’s set to direct Machine Gun Preacher when it’s goes before the cameras later this year.

It’s based on Childers’ memoir, Another Man’s War: The True Story of One Man’s Battle to Save the Children of Sudan.Ö Deadline.com also reports that a Dateline NBC story on Childers got producer Robbie Brenner Öand screenwriter Jason Keller interested, and that Butler leapt at “the chance to show some acting chops to go with his 300 brawn.”

“He strikes me as an actor who’s interested in this as a way of opening up his image a bit,” says Childers.”I didn’t think about this as movie material, not while I was living this life. But now that I think about it, looking at where I came from and what I’m doing with my life today, I can see it. You look at that movie Blood Diamond. That explains a lot of what I do in Sudan. Those are the type of people I’m rescuing the kids from.”

Childers, 50, is a native of Grand Forks, N.D., who spent much of the 1970s and ‘80s in Central Florida. He has the local rap sheet to prove it — arrests for assault and weapons charges in the early 1980s.

“I was one of the most awfulest persons you could ever hope to meet in Lockhart, Winter Garden and Apopka 30 years ago,” Childers admits. “Drug dealing. Guns. If there’s a biker gang you’ve heard of, chances are I had a relationship with them — Outlaws, [Hell’s] Angels.”

But in 1992, at 33, he found religion. And by 1998, he’d found his mission — in Africa.

Childers, who is pastor of Shekinah Fellowship Church in Central City, Pa., was back in Central Florida visiting his mom, Daisy Graham, in Winter Garden. But it’s no coincidence that he’s down here for Bike Weeks. He’s had a few speaking engagements, fund-raising for his charities, during the festivities. And he still rides and builds bikes — “My baby has parts from 1964 through 1976 Harleys on it, and the motor is part Harley, Revtech and S & S.”

That’s the bike he expects Hollywood to use in the movie about him. His goal for the film is simple, “that it helps us reach more children,” children kidnapped and forced into militias, or starving and caught up in the violence between rebels and factions of a government that the International Criminal Court has charged with war crimes. And Childers, who has hung out with Butler as the actor prepares for the role, is hoping he doesn’t come off as “some crazy guy out there with a gun.

“I don’t say what I do and how I do it is right or wrong,” he says. “Come Judgment Day, I know I’m going to have a lot of explaining to do.

“But this orphanage, Children’s Village, has a primary school, a vo-tech school, a clinic. We do a lot of things that the infrastructure of South Sudan can’t do. We don’t leave when the fighting pours over into our area. So I hope that the good done there will tip my balance, when I’m brought before the Lord.”
(Thanks to Sue Thompson for the photo AND the story tip.)

view post Posted on 25/3/2010, 22:00

Group:
Administrator

Un video in cui Gerry parla del personaggio e della storia...

http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2010/03/25/gerar...e-gun-preacher/

"It's an incredible story," he said. He's right too-- it's pretty wacky. Hit the jump for Butler's lengthy explanation.

"Basically it's the story of-- this guy is still alive, I just spent time with him in Pennsylvania. His name is Sam Childers. He grew up a thug, a very violent guy. He was a drug dealer. And found god, found a new way. Started his own business." So far, so meh, right? I mean, sure... it's a feelgood story. But there are plenty of people who have picked themselves up out of a bad situation and made good for themselves.

"And then ends up down in Sudan, just goes down to stick some roofs on houses down there. He saw some of the most awful atrocities that were happening down there with these guerilla forces that would move in and kidnap the kids, kill the families. So he took it on himself to do something about it. Went back [to the United States], became a preacher in Pennsylvania, raises money and builds an orphanage down there to protect the kids and ends up joining forces with the southern Sudanese People's Liberation [Movement]." Aww... that's sweet. Not "incredible" yet, but very nice, very noble.

"Picks up a machine gun and is fighting the rebels with guns, grenades, machine guns in order to go and rescue some of these kids. He basically became a warrior and lived both-- he's still a preacher back in Pennsylvania and he's still a warrior down in [Sudan.]"

Edited by sabrinta - 26/3/2010, 12:06

gemini78
view post Posted on 29/6/2010, 20:14

Gerard Butler, Michelle Monaghan to star in 'Machine Gun Preacher'

AddThis Feed Button
UPI News Service, 06/21/2010

Lionsgate says it has acquired the North American distribution rights to the fact-based action drama "Machine Gun Preacher."

The film is the studio's first collaboration with director Marc Forster since "Monster's Ball."

"After renouncing his outlaw ways, Sam Childers embarks on a spiritual path, becoming a warrior for the desperate and helpless children in a war-torn country in Africa," a synopsis of the film said.

Gerard Butler plays the title character, while Michelle Monaghan has been cast as his wife, Lynn Childers.

Michael Shannon portrays Childers' best friend, Donnie; Madeline Carroll plays Childers' daughter, Paige; Kathy Baker plays Childers' mother, Daisy; and Souleymane Sy Savane plays Deng, Childers' right hand in Africa.

Joe Drake, Lionsgate chief operating officer and motion picture group president, and Mike Paseornek, Lionsgate president of motion picture production, said Monday principal photography for the film is scheduled to begin July 5 in Detroit and South Africa. Lionsgate plans to release the film in fall 2011.

"'Machine Gun Preacher' combines a fascinating, action-packed story and unique characters with great talent on both sides of the camera. We're delighted to be back in business with our friend Marc, one of the most gifted and versatile filmmakers working today. And Gerard Butler is the ideal actor to capture the strength, complexity and charisma of this film's real-life hero, Sam Childers," Paseornek said in a statement.

http://www.realitytvworld.com/news/gerard-...her-1018341.php

gemini78
view post Posted on 14/7/2010, 19:19

Ecco Gerard Butler in Machine Gun Preacher
Scritto da Simone

Gerard Butler è protagonista di Machine Gun preacher, il nuovo film di Marc Forster (Quantum of Solace) in cui interpreta un ex motociclista impegnato in una missione umanitaria in Sudan.

Marc Forster, regista di Quantum of Solace e di Finding Neverland, sta lavorando a un nuovo film intitolato Machine Gun Preacher, la vera storia dell'ex spacciatore e motociclista Sam Childers.
Dopo aver scoperto Dio durante un viaggio in Africa, negli anni '90 Childers è diventato un vero e proprio difensore degli orfani sudanesi, ha organizzato diverse missioni armate per salvare i bambini nelle zone colpite dalla guerra, e ha fondato insieme alla moglie un orfanotrofio che accoglie oggi oltre 300 orfani.

Il fascino di questo personaggio, a metà fra un motociclista e un predicatore, è indubbio, e a riportarlo sul grande schermo sarà l'attore Gerard Butler.
Fotografato sul set del film, Butler ha sfoggiato un outfit evidentemente studiato apposta per mettere in risalto il lato duro del personaggio, con tanto di pettinatura anni '80; un'immagine probabilmente non troppo distante da come doveva comparire il vero Childers vent'anni fa.
Potete vedere tutte le immagini a questo link .

A rendere il progetto più interessante troviamo un cast di contorno nel quale spiccano Michelle Monaghan e Michael Shannon.
Le riprese di Machine Gun Preacher sono attualmente in corso a Detroit e si sposteranno poi in Sudafrica. Il film uscirà l'11 settembre 2011.

http://www.badtaste.it/index.php?option=co...14315&Itemid=29

mina83
view post Posted on 14/7/2010, 21:16

Per fortuna se ne comincia a parlare anche qui..........e non solo per la pettinatura di Gerry!

view post Posted on 17/7/2010, 09:15

Group:
Administrator

Una lunga intervista a Sam Childers nella quale sono molto visibili le affinità tra lui e Gerry(soprattutto quando parla della prima parte della sua vita,sembra di sentire gli stessi discorsi del nostro)

http://www.istockanalyst.com/article/viewi...ticleid/4317091

TOUGH guy Sam Childers turned from a fearsome drug dealer into a pistolpacking pastor ... and now he's gone Hollywood.

The 48-year-old abandoned his outlaw biker ways to follow a spiritual path, saving innocent children in war-torn Sudan.

His fascinating story is coming to the big screen with Scots movie hunk Gerard Butler playing the lead.

Machine Gun Preacher is an adaptation of Childers' life story as told in his 2009 book, Another Man's War: The True Story Of One Man's Battle To Save Children In The Sudan.

Filming has started in Detroit and will move to South Africa.

Directed by Marc Forster - of Monster's Ball and Quantum Of Solace - it will be in cinemas in autumn next year.

It tells of the Rev Sam's 12-year ght to rescue children from horri c violence in one of the world's most lawless areas.

Brutal warlord Joseph Kony and his rebels, the Lord's Resistance Army, terrorise thousands of innocent people in war-torn Sudan.

They attack unsuspecting villages, burn all the houses, then torture, maim and kill the people.

About 50,000 children have been forced to join Kony's rebel army or sold to slave traders. The child soldiers are often forced to kill their parents or be killed themselves.

In 1992, Sam had ditched the motorcycle gang lifestyle of drinking, drugs and violence after finding God and was working on a volunteer construction project in Africa.

Then the born-again Christian saw the body of a child blown up by a land mine.

"It really messed me up," said Sam. "It changed my life."

Six years later, he was risking death in gunfights in the African bush while trying to rescue kidnapped youngsters.

Sam, complete with giant muttonchop sideburns, fights on the front line of the war zone, at times sleeping in the bush with an AK- 47 on one side and a Bible on the other.

He is determined to save as many kids as he can and put an end to Kony's reign of terror.

So far, Sam has rescued more than 1000. They get shelter, food, clothing, schooling and medical attention from the Angels of East Africa, an organisation he founded in 1998.

Around 700 of these war babies have been reunited with their families.

Scores more live in the three orphanages Sam has built.
Sam said: "When the kids, some as young as seven, are kidnapped, they get divided up.

"Girls become sex slaves, some boys become fighters and the weak ones are killed in front of the others to create fear.

"When we get them, they are very traumatised.

"One boy in our care had been forced to kill more than 30 people by the time he was 11.

"It takes a lot of work to get these kids, who have been surrounded by death, into the mind-set that violence is not the solution for everything.

"Recovery is slow and trying, but eventually they start to behave like children again.

"They just need love."

Some children have had arms hacked off with machetes, others their ears sliced off or tongues removed.

But for many, Sam is their saviour. He said: "When I founded the Angels, I knew we wanted to open an orphanage for the children who didn't have parents because of the fighting in Sudan and Uganda. But I started simple, sleeping on a grass mat and a sheetof mosquito netting, with a machine gun by one side and a Bible by the other.

"I never dreamed that God would take me to that point.

"Since then, I've been ambushed many times. They've tried to assassinate me. This is a war zone. There is a chance of being killed."

SAM continued: "I'm not afraid of dying. It's one of those things in life you only do once.

"There was a time in my life when I was involved in drugs and other things that could get me killed. But that would have been dying without a cause or a purpose in my life.

"Now, if God decided to take me, I could say that my life had a purpose."

Sam divides his time between his home in the US and battling baddies in Africa.

He went on: "I live in the Allegheny mountains of Pennsylvania near Central City, where I spend about six months each year. The other six months is in Africa. At Central City, I founded the Shekinah Fellowship. It is a biker church.

"About everybody has an addiction of some kind. The name Shekinah comes from the Old Testament.

"One of the newspapers had a story and picture that showed me in the pulpit with a pistol in one hand. If you saw some of the people in my congregation, you'd carry a gun, too.

"We also have a camp-ground at the church, where troubled youths from the city can come to the country and get away from the pressures of their life."

Sam freely admits he took the wrong path while growing up and soon found himself on the wrong side of the law.

He began taking drugs aged just 11 and quickly sank deeper and deeper into illegal substances and violence.

He recalled: "My dad was half-Cherokee and worked in the high- rise steel construction industry, so we moved around and I got into construction.

"Then I got into selling drugs and fights, and was arrested several times. To be honest, 30 years ago, I was probably the worst person you've ever known.
I wasn't tough but I was mean.

"Then I met my wife, Lynn, and she became a born-again Christian and prayed for me.

"I knew that if I didn't change, I probably would be killed. Eventually, I learned that God is a big God, and he took my life and turned it around."

Sam revealed that he broke down while working on his book and visiting the graves of friends.

He said: "I never realised until that moment how many people I had hurt.

"I turned them on to drugs. I have scars in my life I can never get rid of.

"I can't make up for all the people I've hurt. The only thing I can do is go around and tell people how wrong I was.
"It's about stopping you from experiencing what I've experienced. Some say my book is about redemption.

"I think it shows that anyone can stop the destructive things they are doing if they just find the will.

"I'm not perfect. I'm one of the most messed-up pastors.

"I've got issues in my life. But I love Jesus Christ."

LABOUR OF LOVE FOR GERARD

300 STAR Gerard Butler is taking a huge pay cut in Machine Gun Preacher ... because he loves the script.

The Paisley-born actor will pick up pounds 100,000, a fraction of what he can earn for a film.

The 41-year-old, who recently visited the Rev Childers at his church in Pennsylvania, said: "I'm producing this one as well. I'm sure I'm getting 10 cents for doing it.

"But if it's an interesting project, I take it.

"This is not a big, flashy project."

(c) 2010 Daily Record; Glasgow (UK). Provided by ProQuest LLC. All rights Reserved.

A service of YellowBrix, Inc.

view post Posted on 17/7/2010, 11:20

Group:
Moderatore globale

certe frasi sono proprio uguali... o_O
intervista interessante!!

gemini78
view post Posted on 18/7/2010, 10:53

Grazie Romy, l'ho spostato nella sezione giusta :)

gemini78
view post Posted on 18/7/2010, 22:10

Fans, paparazzi, giornalisti, tutti si radunano nei paraggi del set per cercare di riuscire a vedere Gerry!!

MELVINDALE: Fans camp out in hopes of spotting actor Gerard Butler (with video)

Jake’s Crossroads Bar, 2704 Oakwood Blvd., was the set for a scene of Gerard Butler’s “Machine Gun Preacher.” The film crew, including the actor, was in the city last week. Trailers, lights and cameras filled the bar’s parking lot as actors stood on the rear balcony and in the parking lot. Melvindale police were on scene to oversee the 30 spectators, including some paparazzi. (Photo by Angie Favot)

MELVINDALE –– Paparazzi, trailers, cameras and the chance of spotting actor Gerard Butler filled the city from Monday to Wednesday as a movie shoot came to the area.

“Machine Gun Preacher,” starring Butler, is expected to wrap up early this week.

Filming was done at Hearthside Mobile Home Park, 17742 Dix-Toledo, and Jake’s Crossroads Bar, 2704 Oakwood Blvd.

The movie is based on the true story of Sam Childers, a former drug-dealing biker who found God and became a crusader for hundreds of Sudanese children who were forced to become soldiers, according to the Internet Movie Database.

City Administrator Paul LaManes said he was working with Mike Mosallam, director of the Wayne County Film Initiative office, to provide areas appropriate for scenes.

Producers were seeking a trailer park and a “biker”-type bar, and picked the city.

LaManes said residents were feeling the Hollywood buzz.

“It’s exciting for the city and residents to have something like that come to Melvindale,” he said.

Crews made Allendale Elementary School, 3201 Oakwood Blvd., their home base. Orange signs on Oakwood Boulevard pointed the way for crews.

Paparazzi were at filming locations, and news of the city was all over celebrity blog websites.

About 30 spectators stood on Eddon Street facing the Jake’s Crossroads Bar parking lot to catch a glimpse of filming Wednesday. A man involved in the filming would signal to the crowd to be quiet during shooting, and the group was limited to a specific area to avoid being seen in the scene.

LaManes said local eateries benefited from the production by providing catering for crews.

He said he hopes more productions come back to the city.

“We received a very complimentary letter from the county that said the production company was very happy with the treatment they received and may be back to film other movies,” he said.

The state offers up to a 42 percent tax credit on filming, which has brought several productions to the area.

http://thenewsherald.com/articles/2010/07/...97955700585.txt

iam.what.iam
view post Posted on 18/7/2010, 22:21

Beh dai tempi di Harrison's flowers (tanto x citare un film da poco trasmesso in tv) Mr.B ha fatto tanta strada ed è migliorato come attore...quindi si merita questa attenzione..anzi se la merita + di tanti altri attori della "A list" :fisch:

view post Posted on 25/9/2010, 15:49

Group:
Administrator

Un Blog che ha un titolo beneaugurale(poteziali vincitori di Oscar) si è occupato oggi di MGP:

http://oscartracker.blogspot.com/2010/09/m...set-photos.html

iam.what.iam
view post Posted on 26/9/2010, 11:21

cosi' a scatola chiusa l'opinione che possa essere candidato agli oscar si puo' basare solo sull'aspetto sociale del film ( che gli darà grande eco) e magari per foster...ma da qui a dire che sia un film da oscar ne passa......bisognerebbe prima vederlo...

Vampire_punk
view post Posted on 26/9/2010, 20:11

:fisch:
CITAZIONE (iam.what.iam @ 26/9/2010, 12:21)
cosi' a scatola chiusa l'opinione che possa essere candidato agli oscar si puo' basare solo sull'aspetto sociale del film ( che gli darà grande eco) e magari per foster...ma da qui a dire che sia un film da oscar ne passa......bisognerebbe prima vederlo...

dire che è da oscar è per la campagna pubblicitaria ,prendi avatar,ancora prima di uscire dicevano che avrebbe incassato più di ogni altro film della storia e sarebbe stato candidato all'oscar( x fortuna non ha vinto)

iam.what.iam
view post Posted on 5/10/2010, 21:08

Un'intervista in cui Sam Childers parla anche di Mr.B:

"There’s a movie about your life coming out soon that’s directed by Marc Forster and stars Gerard Butler, who will be playing you. Did you have much input in the making of the movie?

Gerard Butler stayed at my house in Pennsylvania for about a week. I hung out with him in L.A. a few times, and on the movie sets in Detroit. I hung out with him in South Africa for a few days, too, so he could get the character a little bit. And I worked a lot with the screenwriter, Jason Keller... But you gotta remember: He’s just acting. He’s just trying his best to portray me, okay? So he’s never gonna do that, no matter how good he is.
"

Gerry e Sam sono stati a contatto per qualche tempo,prima a casa di lui,poi a LA e a Detroit e anche in SA...ma secondo Sam,benchè Gerry stia cercando di rappresentarlo nel miglior modo possibile,non ci riuscirà mai, non importa quanto sia bravo.

per l'intervista completa:
www.stlmag.com/Blogs/SLM-Daily/Octo...ilders-Crusade/

Edited by sabrinta - 5/10/2010, 22:42

89 replies since 5/3/2010, 14:05   2325 views