Coriolanus:articoli e interviste

« Older   Newer »
view post Posted on 8/4/2010, 14:37

He's a lion that I am proud to hunt

Group:
Administrator

Un articolo che commenta le prime foto apparse dal set di Coriolanus,avvicinandolo non tanto al Romeo + Juliet di Luhrmann,quanto al Riccardo III di Loncraine( quello con Al Pacino,credo),ambientato in un'ipotetica Britannia fascista del 1930...

In particolare poi si accenna a Gerry,sottolineando che questa interpretazione,dopo una serie di prodotti discutibili,potrebbe farci ricordare che lui è un attore in grado di recitare,non solo una star da apparizioni sul red carpet di brutti film...

www.indiemoviesonline.com/news/shak...oriolanus-80410

30 Ninjas has the first pics from Ralph Fiennes’ self-directed adaptation of Shakespeare’s tragedy Coriolanus. The film, which is to star Fiennes as the brilliant general and Gerard Butler as his arch-enemy Tullus Aufidius, locates the action in contemporary Serbia.

We have to say, this seems like a bit of a brilliant idea. The tragedy contains some pretty chewy, thought-provoking ideas about the nature of the good soldier and the problems inherent in democracy, specifically the way a political figure can manipulate a population by appealing to their fears and prejudices. It’s also flippin’ ideal casting for Fiennes: Coriolanus is one of Shakespeare’s most complicated and least sympathetic tragic heroes (umm, sorry Ralph). He has little interest in democracy or the plebian populace, and unassailable self-belief. Nonetheless, as the story progresses, his refusal to PR his decisions and play politics – when contrasted with the oily demagogues around him – begin to redeem him. Many of the play’s themes have a lot of resonance with current political hot topics, particularly its demagogic politicians (we can’t help but think of Nick Griffin and the BNP’s shady methods of garnering support). It seems like a neat way to enter into a political debate without getting into a lot of preachy, finger-pointy polemic.

The filmmakers involved are a pretty impressive bunch. The screenplay is an “aggressively edited” version of Shakespeare’s play, put together by John Logan (Sweeney Todd, Gladiator). Barry Ackroyd (The Hurt Locker) is on board as DoP, while Ray Beckett (also Hurt Locker) will be sound mixing. It’s Fiennes’ directorial debut and it sounds as though he’s going to be an actors’ director, eschewing complex shots. In an interview with ScreenDaily last year (which you can read here), Fiennes said ““I wouldn’t know how to be baroque with a camera. I want honest camerawork to reflect the scene that is going on. I loved how Istvan Szabo shot which was very simply capturing the actors.” As the set pictures suggest, it could have a free, dynamic look much like The Hurt Locker.

The actor/director referenced Baz Luhrmann’s Romeo + Juliet as an inspiration for making the film accessible but to this reporter at least, it sounds like his Coriolanus could be closer to Richard Loncraine’s fabulous 1996 Richard III, in which the action was set in an alternate, fascist Britain of the 1930s. Not only was it a riveting interpretation of the play, but it featured a milestone performance by Ian McKellen, who was shortly afterwards wafted up into the Hollywood stratosphere.

Starring alongside Fiennes are Vanessa Redgrave, who’ll play his mother Volumnia, Brian Cox as the double-crossing Menenius and Gerard Butler as enemy Tullus Aufidius. Though Butler has used up some of his allowance of public goodwill by choosing films based on paycheck and profile (there can be no other excuse for The Ugly Truth, The Bounty Hunter or indeed Law Abiding Citizen), he starred in a stage production of Coriolanus earlier on in his career, and made a good job of it by all accounts. It behooves us all to remember he was once an actor, before he became a red carpet harbinger of bad movies.

While the film is being shot in Belgrade, it may represent an unnamed central European city. The film is due for release later this year though exact dates are TBC.

Edited by arielcips - 8/4/2010, 16:59

gemini78
view post Posted on 8/4/2010, 15:48

Speriamo che questo film gli dia davvero i riconoscimenti che merita!

gemini78
view post Posted on 29/4/2010, 13:31

Due articoli, uno riporta che Gerry è tornato sul set e l'altro parla di un'altra notte brava....

Butler vivo e vegeto nella registrazione

Gerard Butler ieri mattina presto apparizione sul set di "Coriolano" e senza problemi, ha risposto alle richieste del regista Ralph Fiennes. La troupe stava filmando ieri nelle liste elettorali, in una delle aree sotto il Museo Militare. La maggior parte dei problemi erano giù circa persone che erano nelle immediate vicinanze.

CAMERA - Due giorni dopo aver ricevuto le iniezioni in una clinica di Belgrado, perché è impreparato apprezzato il cibo serbi e brandy, attore scozzese Gerard Butler tornò a registrare senza problemi di salute. Aveva la pressione alta a causa del consumo pesante di grandi quantità di alimenti e bevande, che hanno anche causato l'avvelenamento e mite, ma, per fortuna senza gravi conseguenze.
Pochi giorni fa, un film i membri dell'equipaggio hanno visitato il Museo Militare di indagare sulle armi e altri oggetti.
Mentre la maggior parte turisti Kalemegana non sapeva esattamente che cosa sia, non ha impedito loro sembrava essere una pellicola. Tra gli "ospiti" sono stati i bambini in escursioni, visite di gruppo e ai pensionati in Germania, che non è tanto interessato a ciò che star di Hollywood sono a pochi metri di distanza. Pertanto, la troupe del film ha avuto un sacco di problemi per aggirare i visitatori, a lavorare sul film passati senza alcuna interruzione.
Le riprese continueranno il giorno successivo alle varie posizioni intorno a Belgrado, e, stando agli annunci, Butler rimarrà in Serbia almeno due settimane.

www.24sata.rs/show.php?id=71782

Con l'infusione di brandy e folk: Gerard Butler, e la scorsa notte a Belgrado partijao

GERARD BUTLER ognuno vuole dimostrare che si può monitorare la "pace dei Balcani" e, anche se il Lunedi finito in ospedale a causa di affaticamento, infusione e forma facile di intossicazione alimentare e alcol, partijao di nuovo la notte scorsa a Belgrado. Buon tempo, con il brandy e folk, di zattere di Belgrado, ancora una volta ha avuto a lungo nella notte. Butler ha goduto il concerto, "Black Panthers", e durante la notte anche fotografato con front man della band, Tom, e uno dei membri delle assicurazioni, che ha tatuato sul braccio il suo carattere Butlerov.

"Ho bevuto solo tanto per essere allegri"

"Un anno fa ho istetovirao il suo carattere da quando ero un ruolo forte nel film« 300 ». Quando entrò la zattera in un primo momento non se ne accorse perché era affollato, e più tardi, quando gli abbiamo detto che tipo di tatuaggio che ho, è impressionante. Immediatamente è venuto con la sua macchina fotografica e fotografato con me ", ha detto il Alo! zaštitar felice e ha aggiunto: "La gente è affascinata con la musica, le persone e che servono il brandy e lo bevve come molto da essere allegro, e con essa ha mangiato barbecue, che davvero gli voleva bene. Ho agire come un uomo grande perché non aveva agito come stella, ma era un naturale ".

www.index.hr/xmag/clanak/s-infuzije...adu/488671.aspx

L'ultima parte la riporto anche in inglese perchè si capisce meglio

"A year ago I istetovirao his character since I was a keen role in the movie` 300 `. When he entered the raft at first did not notice because it was the crowd, later, when we told him what kind of tattoo I have, is impressive. Immediately came with his camera and photographed with me, "said the Alo! zaštitar delighted and added: "People are fascinated with music, people, and which serve brandy and drank it just as much to be cheerful, and with it he ate barbecue, who really liked him. I act as a great guy because he had not acted as star, but he was a natural. "

view post Posted on 29/4/2010, 14:33

Group:
Moderatore globale

ma io proprio non riesco a credere che abbia ripreso a bere...non ha alcun senso!mah... :mmm:

gemini78
view post Posted on 29/4/2010, 14:45

Secondo me non ha ripreso a bere, credo che i giornalisti serbi non sappiano che non beve e scrivono quello che gli passa per la mente!

view post Posted on 29/4/2010, 14:56

Group:
Moderatore globale

ecco,probabile <_<

mina83
view post Posted on 29/4/2010, 18:58

Bisognerebbe che cominciassero ad informarsi prima di scrivere delle sciocchezze!

view post Posted on 7/5/2010, 11:17

Group:
Administrator

Un lunghissimo articolo in inglese... alla fine del quale il giornalista ci anticipa una scena in cui si confrontano Gerry e Fiennes...e Gerry strappa un applauso ai presenti per la sua convincente interpretazione...

www.guardian.co.uk/film/2010/may/06...belgrade-serbia

After lunch, the pressure is on. There's a scene to shoot with Butler running battle-weary through the defeated city, stumbling across a Roman atrocity. "If you're not doing anything, fuck off," bellows a line producer. Someone from the crew is arranging a dead child with a bullet wound to his head on the ground next to an ambushed car. Inside, a man and woman are slumped in the front seats, and a little girl is strewn across the back. There's a horrible documentary authenticity to the awkward angles of the limbs. Fiennes is supervising. Butler is out of sight, but you can hear him roaring obscenities to himself, psyching up.

Fiennes yells "action" and runs behind his monitor. Butler staggers into view, stops at the car and begins a long, ferocious speech, vowing revenge on Coriolanus. Behind his monitor Fiennes is rocking, stroking his check, utterly absorbed. Butler fluffs his lines, inserting a few choice expletives – more Paisley than Stratford-upon-Avon. Fiennes hurries things along between takes, concerned for "Gerry's motivation".

An hour later, the scene is in the bag. There's a spontaneous round of applause for Butler, and Fiennes is beaming a 100-watt smile. There is a spot of makeup blood on his pristine grey T-shirt. In the intensity stakes, Fiennes could be auditioning for a serial killer. "Fan-fucking-tastic," he says, walking away. Butler – if not Shakespeare – would approve.

gemini78
view post Posted on 7/5/2010, 12:12

:clap: :clap: (Mi unisco all'applauso)

Aggiungo questo pezzo dall'articolo sopra:

And of course there is Butler. Fiennes explains his casting by saying he wanted an actor with physical charisma. Someone the audience would believe as a contender. "People need to think he can win. Is Aufidius going to beat the shit out of Coriolanus?" I've seen Butler's personal trainer (she ( :fisch: ) looks harder than the Serbian soldiers), so I could buy it. Butler might have taken a pay cut to make the film, but he's brought his Hollywood accoutrements with him (there are unsubstantiated rumours of a nutritionist).

Edited by gemini78 - 7/5/2010, 13:30

view post Posted on 7/5/2010, 17:08

Group:
Moderatore globale

:occhilucidi: :occhilucidi: :occhilucidi:

gemini78
view post Posted on 10/5/2010, 13:04

Secondo questo articolo Ralph è un regista molto esigente e non è sempre soddisfatto del risultato delle riprese e ogni tanto trova da criticare anche quello che fa Gerry che si ritrova un po' perplesso...

On the set in Serbia with a bloody Ralph Fiennes
By Adam Tanner

BELGRADE (Reuters Life!) - Dressed in military fatigues and with their faces covered in blood, Ralph Fiennes and Gerard Butler are at each others' necks, fighting on the ground atop broken glass and debris, trying to kill each other.

Still breathing heavily after an intense scene with one of Hollywood's fastest rising stars, Fiennes makes his way to a monitor to check out the latest bit of his directorial debut of one of Shakespeare's lesser-known tragedies "Coriolanus."

"We have botched beginnings all the way from my point of view," an irritated Fiennes said after watching a replay of the scene. "This is the kind of thing, I beg you to call out or say something."

"I think we need to do the explosion again," he said, referring to a blast which billows smoke across a play set in modern-day times and filmed around Belgrade in a gritty hand-held camera style.

Twice nominated for Academy Awards -- as a Nazi camp commander in "Schindler's List" and for the title role in "The English Patient" -- Fiennes is bringing the same intensity that characterizes his acting to the director's chair.

"I am under a lot of pressure, so there isn't time to be -- particularly today as we are coming to the end -- there isn't time sometimes to be always perhaps as tactful as you would like to be," Fiennes said during a later interview.

In the film Fiennes plays the leading role of Coriolanus, a general who eventually betrays his native Rome and joins forces with the city's enemy, Aufidius, played by Butler, star of the film "300."

Just days before wrapping up filming this week, Fiennes was directing a fierce knife fight with Butler in a scene taking place before their two characters later join forces.

After another take, an apprehensive Fiennes returns to the monitor, joined by Butler, who is out of breath and silent as he wipes his brow.

"Please tell me there is something in that," Fiennes said.

His stern continence -- all the more frightful under the bloody makeup and patches of broken glass on the face of an actor who has scared many as Lord Voldemort in the Harry Potter movies -- eases.

"The sun is perfect there," Fiennes said, finally flashing a smile as he assesses the take. "It's great."

GRITTY MODERN REALISM

The bitter hand-to-hand battle leaves both characters badly wounded, waiting for allies to help them away from the scene.

After a few takes, Fiennes is still not satisfied with Butler's reanimation at a massive Belgrade Communist-era hotel in reality still in disrepair after the 1999 Kosovo war bombing.

"I don't know what to do," Butler says. "I've got to be dead for a second and then come to?"

Fiennes tells him exactly how to reach for a nearby knife and then calls for more smoke to add modern-day realism in the abridged version of Shakespeare's play.

"Every single second of this film, he knows what he wants," said Serbian actor Dragan Micanovic, whose character helps drag Fiennes away at the end of the fighting. "Yeah, he shouts, but when everything is out of order."

In his trailer later when the faux blood has been cleared off his face, Fiennes says the emotion of working as a director helps his performance in the lead role.

"I use my frustration and my adrenaline as a director, I channel it into Coriolanus. When I am getting frustrated and sometimes cross about the situation, I use that," he said.

"As an actor I don't sit around on the set always in the state of emotion the character is in. I wait until the camera is ready and then offer up whatever the character is meant to be doing."

With a supporting cast of veteran actors including Vanessa Redgrave and Brian Cox, Fiennes is bluntly honest when asked whether he is making a great film.

"I have no clue. How could I possibly know at this point?" he said. "I have a whole massive range of (film) rushes, some of which I like, some of which I question, but I don't know."

"There are days when I think I have got something I am happy with and there are days when I feel I might have missed it and come away disappointed."

Adds Gabrielle Tana, one of the film's producers: "We have a benevolent ruler, but the focus is intense."

"He's his own toughest critic."

(Editing by Paul Casciato)

http://in.reuters.com/article/lifestyleMol...0100510?sp=true

mina83
view post Posted on 10/5/2010, 13:50

Penso che Ralph fa quello che fanno tutti i registi: se non una cosa non gli sta bene, lo dice.

gemini78
view post Posted on 6/12/2010, 22:22

Un'intervista a Ralph in cui si parla di come è nata l'idea di fare un film su Coriolano; visto che è lunga ne riporto qualche stralcio:

A last-minute coup, in studio terms, was the casting of a Hollywood action man, Gerard Butler, as Tullus Aufidius.

To see Fiennes directing was to observe his many facets: his fastidiousness about details; his art-school eye guiding the framing of every shot; a playfulness which sunlit the room when he was elated; his Oedipus ferocity with hands circling his shaven pate in despair at the chatter between takes

chissà chi... :fisch:

Eight months later, pushing his bike along the pavements of Soho after dinner, Fiennes relived the ordeal of watching the audience at a test screening answer questions about his film, hands shooting up, or not, like schoolchildren’s. The film was “locked” but there was time for small fixes—some responding to notes from Peter Brook, whose naturalistic “King Lear” had been an influence. I’d been out twice to Belgrade during the shoot and seen how close the feel of the shoot was to the mood reel. The film mingled organically with its locations: in a market scene locals picked over the produce; a restaurant frequented by Serbian gangsters had a genuine “no guns” sign on the door, and opposite was a fast-food kiosk that had been renamed Sausage Maximus. On the second trip I watched a rough-cut on Fiennes’s Mac: urgent, fast-moving action and close-ups so tight that you could count the rays on his irises.

http://moreintelligentlife.com/content/art...nnes?page=0%2C4

view post Posted on 6/12/2010, 23:33

Group:
Moderatore globale

CITAZIONE
his Oedipus ferocity with hands circling his shaven pate in despair at the chatter between takes

chissà chi... :fisch:

ma dai,doveva raccontare la storia della sua vita ai camerieri che gli portavano il caffè e i cupcakes :P
o flirtare con tutte le serbe nei paraggi :rolleyes:

80 replies since 8/4/2010, 14:37   1498 views