TIFF film festival 2011, Toronto

« Older   Newer »
Mina*
view post Posted on 24/8/2011, 10:44

Posto qui perchè non so dove metterlo, parla sia di Coriolanus che di Machine Gun Preacher......... non è meglio aprire una discussione sul TIFF riguardo ai due film?

E' confermata la presenza di Gerry al TIFF

Toronto International Film Festival Rolls Out The Red Carpet For Hundreds Of Guests For 2011 Event

Toronto – The 36th Toronto International Film Festival® welcomes hundreds of guests this year. Filmmakers expected to present their world premieres in Toronto include: Davis Guggenheim, Francis Ford Coppola, Alexander Payne, Agnieszka Holland, Guy Maddin, Luc Besson, Bill Duke, Oren Moverman, Malgoska Szumowska, Bennett Miller, Darrell Roodt, Sarah Polley, Jessica Yu, Michael Winterbottom and Werner Herzog.

Actors expected to attend include Catherine Deneuve, Charlotte Rampling, George Clooney, Brad Pitt, Clive Owen, Gerard Butler, Jeon Do-Yeon, Jon Hamm, Shahid Kapoor, Michael Fassbender, Michelle Yeoh, Freida Pinto, Glenn Close, Matthew Goode, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Rachel Weisz, Ryan Gosling, Salma Hayek, Viggo Mortensen and Woody Harrelson. Musicians include: U2, Pearl Jam and Neil Young.

The Festival also welcomes thousands of producers and other industry professionals bringing films to us.

http://tiff.net/press/pressreleases/2011/t...-the-red-carpet

TIFF’11 Preview: Gerard Butler in fighting form
In 2011 Gerard Butler returns to the Toronto International Film Festival with performances as a heroic warrior in two films conveying two distinct battles – one Shakespearean, one biblical.

In Machine Gun Preacher Butler plays true life crusader Sam Childers, a born-again Christian fighting to save orphaned children in Africa’s Sudan region. The TIFF world premiere gala for Machine Gun Preacher is scheduled for 6:30 p.m. on Sunday, September 11 at Roy Thomson Hall.

As Tullus Aufidius in Coriolanus Butler portrays a guerrilla leader and arch enemy of banished hero Caius Martius ‘Coriolanus’ (Ralph Fiennes) faced with the perilous choice of either destroying Coriolanus or joining forces with him for the ultimate battle. Coriolanus has its North American premiere at Toronto’s Elgin Theatre, 6 p.m. on Monday, September 12.

Gerard Butler’s appearance on the red carpet for both premieres has been confirmed. For additional screenings of both films consult the full TIFF schedule. Any individual tickets available for all the screenings are available from the TIFF box office (online, by telephone or in person) September 3.

http://www.examiner.com/film-in-toronto/ti...r-fighting-form

gemini78
view post Posted on 24/8/2011, 11:14

Detto fatto :D

Mina*
view post Posted on 24/8/2011, 11:30

Grazie Laura!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

luz82
view post Posted on 12/9/2011, 21:46

Due articoli che parlano della conferenza stampa di Coriolanus

TIFF Press Conference Diaries: Fiennes feels the love for Coriolanus

The Monday morning press conference for Shakespearean tragedy Coriolanus was an unfettered love-in for first-time director Ralph Fiennes, who also stars as the title character, an embattled Roman general. Joined by cast members Jessica Chastain and Brian Cox, the unruly presence of a noticeably slimmer Gerard Butler rounded out a pleasant morning between the actors, who were clearly impressed by Fiennes’ turn as a director.

“I’ve worked with many directors, and he’s up there in the Top 5,” said Cox, who plays a politician in the film. “His rigor and sense of discipline — the whole package is remarkable, and I was completely overwhelmed by it.”

Fiennes’ modern-day adaptation of Shakespeare’s play, a stage production he starred in 10 years ago, centres on Caius Martius Coriolanus (Fiennes), an army general-turned-politician banished by his own people. Seeking revenge at any cost, he joins forces with former enemy Aufidus (Gerard Butler) and attacks his homeland. One of the film’s strong suits is also said to be the curious relationship between Coriolanus and his venomous mother Volumnia (Vanessa Redgrave) and loving wife Virgilia (Chastain).

“The play has resonance with the times we’re in, especially now with so much uncertainty in the world … and the constant tension between leadership and the voice of the people,” Fiennes said. “It’s a continually resonant political thriller with a Greek tragedy at centre of it.”

When asked what makes an actor a better director, Fiennes joked, “Better than who?” before pointing out that it can be a natural progression for many actors.

“I think after you’ve done a number of films, I found I became increasingly curious about choices directors were making: the camera, location, costumes,” he said.

“Working with Anthony Minghella [who directed Fiennes in The English Patient], who’s very collaborative, I felt very included in the process, so since that time, I’ve found this curiosity become a stronger urge. For most actors you’re at the mercy of so many decisions that at some point you want to be the person making the decisions.”

While Fiennes looked relaxed (perhaps still in director mode, sporting an uncharacteristically grizzly mane and beard), Butler, who was promoting his other film Machine Gun Preacher at TIFF Sunday, was keen on mentioning just how knackered he was.

“I woke up this morning and I’ve never been so exhausted in my life,” Butler said. “I thought, ‘If I could just die now and if someone could just let me know, I would take it!’ ”

You can’t conceive of two more different actors than Fiennes and Butler, but the two seemed to get on famously, with Butler ribbing his director on a bloody fight scene.

“The fight that we had, which to this day remains the closest thing to a homosexual experience that I’ve had, and may be a career-changing thing for both of us,” Butler said.

“We rehearsed that fight exhaustively,” added Fiennes, smirking.

For her part, the ubiquitous Chastain, impeccably groomed and demure beside Butler, pointed out that her Julliard training had her studying Shakespeare for four years, and likened her involvement in Coriolanus to “taking a master class.”

http://arts.nationalpost.com/2011/09/12/ti...for-coriolanus/

Gerard Butler and Ralph Fiennes get up close and personal

A weary Gerard Butler, fresh from the gala opening of Machine Gun Preacher Sunday night, cracked up his Coriolanus costars Monday morning when describing the drama's central fight scene.

"That was as close to a homosexual experience I've ever had," Butler said of the hand-to-hand battle with star Ralph Fiennes, who also directed Coriolanus which will have its gala TIFF presentation Monday night.

Fiennes caused another wave of laughter at the press conference when he replied, "We rehearsed that fight exhaustively."

Butler elaborated,"We said forget the stunts, it should just be the two of us face-to-face. We are two guys who want to eat each other brains, to tear each other apart."

Co-star Jessica Chastain, who plays Coriolanus' wife in the movie, arrived on set the day the fight seen was shot. She met Fiennes, who she described as "in costume and basically covered in blood except for his eyes."

When he noted she wasn't saying much over lunch, Costain said, "Do you know what you look like?"

"I forgot she was a vegetarian," quipped Fiennes, who was relaxed and smiling and happy to share the limelight with his costars. Veteran actor Brian Cox gallantly put his jacket around Chastain's shoulders in the chilly room as she wore only a light summer dress.

Fiennes became interested in making Coriolanus into a present day movie after appearing in the play about 10 years ago. Although Butler has had less Shakespearean experience than the other cast members, he noted Coriolanus was the first acting job he ever had.

http://thestar.blogs.com/tiff/2011/09/a-we...us-costars.html

gemini78
view post Posted on 13/9/2011, 20:00

E' un articolo che riguarda più Lac, ma visto che l'intervista è stata fatta al TIFF lo posto qui:
Gerry se l'è molto presa per le critiche fatte a LAC :lol: (non fatelo arrabbiare perchè se le lega al dito :P)

Lesson learned: Don't mess with King Leonidas

We felt a bit like the Persian dude in 300 who gets the lethal kick in the chest after Gerard Butler expressed his dissatisfaction of how one of his films was characterized in a Toronto festival preview last week.

Before he and Machine Gun Preacher co-star Michelle Monahagn had a chance to take a sip of their lattes, Butler started in.

"You know that Law Abiding Citizen was seen as a big success," railed Butler, who was also a producer on the movie. "It made a pile of money. And I'm the only actor you mentioned in that article that you said anything negative about. You are supposed to be my biggest fan, and then it was 'Gerry, who messed up these two movies.'" (The other being The Bounty Hunter).

It's true that Citizen, a 2009 release about vigilante-style justice that grossed $73.4 million domestically, did not quite qualify as a "disappointment" as it was labeled, even though it got mostly negative reviews and took in only $127 million worldwide. But compared to Butler's two films at the festival -- besides his dedicated work in Preacher, he acquits himself nicely doing Shakespeare opposite Ralph Fiennes in Coriolanus this fall -- it is not quite in the same league.

That said, he and movie wife Monahagn proceeded to give a thoughtful interview about the tough issues dealt with in Preacher, about a real-life ex-con who finds God and decides to help the suffering children of the Sudan.

But the topic came up again as Butler was saying his goodbyes. "Go on Netflix and Law Abiding Citizen scores higher than Citizen Kane, which a lot of people vote as the best movie of all time." Considering that no one under 30 has probably heard of Orson Welles, that very well could be the case.

So how can we make this up to you, Gerry? " Just say something that's not true in a positive way. "

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/li...king-leonidas/1

view post Posted on 13/9/2011, 20:58

He's a lion that I am proud to hunt

Group:
Moderatore globale

ma povero Gerry proprio su Lac l'hanno toccato?Va bene che non è il mio tipo di film però di certo non è uno dei suoi lavori peggiori *_*

view post Posted on 15/9/2011, 08:03

He's a lion that I am proud to hunt

Group:
Moderatore globale

da una sorta di diario di un giornalista ai TIFF,una bella descrizione di Gerry,del suo arrivo alla premiere di MGP e di cosa ha fatto sul red carpet:

Day 3: Gerard Butler: That. Is. All.

Now I know what your thinking; “Day 3, really? Your posting what happened on Sunday now? kinda late yeah?” – well, Id say that too but hey we are talking about Gerard Butler. Yes Ladies (especially!) and gentlemen, THE Gerard Butler!

The full out Scotsman was in town to promote Marc Forster’s “Machine Gun Preacher where he plays former gang-biker man Sam Childers (Click HERE for Trailer). This was a Sunday red carpet gala at the prestigious Roy Thompson Hall. With the earlier premier cancelled, this was really the big one of the day. Lets face it, every one who has watched some movie remotely, may it be 300 or Tomb Raider, has heard about Gerard Butler. He is a man who is really creating a name for himself but taking on roles that truly do define an all out new experience for everyone. Best part is, he is not afraid to experiment with the roles he takes. From P.S. I Love You & RockNRolla to The Bounty Hunter & his up and coming movie Corolianus, he is definitely extending his talent far and wide.

Machine Gun Preacher as a result was creating a lot of buzz and as a fan of both him & Michelle Monaghan, this movie was definitely a staple on my watch list. Having been down very early (stupid of me again!), i started to tweet in the early hours of the morning, roaming the downtown core. Downtown is a pretty classy place when people are not around. You can really appreciate the architectural structure of the entire downtown scene. Having spent a couple of hours alone, doing my thing, alot of the people I hang out at TIFF every-year began to show-up. Still, we had a lot more hours to go. Its always handy to be prepared (as I have noted in another post before). There was a bit of a surprise mid-day though. One of the organizers of TIFF made a bit of a special announcement: Michelle Monaghan, despite being NOT on the guest list, was definitely showing up! That was an added bonus to the day. It would be absolutely wonderful seeing them both. Though I will admit, I have seen Gerard before, and he was just awesome to meet.

Door opened, one second of silence and then Roy Thompson Hall just erupted. Out popped Gerard Butler, the man of the hour. The man is one that cannot be comprehended. I have never seen women more crazy in my life, and men just trying to look their best. Who the hell are we kidding. A trained lawyer, a Scot, a pretty well refined man; we were just stuck in our shoes during those couple of minutes. Best part was he took the time to go around and sign for fans, have an opportunity to speak to people & take photos. He understood his fans very very well. He did the oddest things in between, at one point asking us to look at a building all together and salute it. He then asked the press to shoot photos. That photo is all around so do see if you get an opportunity to find it online.

Il resto,a chi interessa:Qui

6 replies since 24/8/2011, 10:44   104 views